tn_knots.jpg

tn_planksfur.jpg

tn_netlines.jpg

tn_woodzincwindow.jpg

tn_interior.jpg

#7, #8
tn_dograin.jpg

tn_rain.jpg

i had the fortunate opportunity to spend a day at a local kelong about a month ago. the romantic in me always thinks how nice it would be to live in an idyllic setting like that, vulnerable to the whims of nature. in truth, i think i would be able to accomodate to almost everything else but the seasickness. yes this is a floating kelong, hold on tight when the big boats sail by (way past the speed limit, the uncle said), and it really is subject to the whims of not only nature, but also to the rollicking waves of those giant tankers. land for me please..

a related post here:- http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=204917

thanks for looking!

Nice series. Particularly like #5 and #8. Nice colours and the mood is well captured. The feeling is that the series might have benefitted from a greater variety of pix - especially a shot of the Uncle. Right now it seems to consist of close-ups and ultra-wides and little in between.

Somehow feels that the color and contrast are not enough.
#1, #3, #4 seems either not sharp or OOF imo.

Anyway good for you, able to enjoy the local kelong. :cool:

For #9, are you shooting from a window or outdoor?
Saw water droplets on the picture, is your camera all wet?:)

eel said:
Nice series. Particularly like #5 and #8. Nice colours and the mood is well captured. The feeling is that the series might have benefitted from a greater variety of pix - especially a shot of the Uncle. Right now it seems to consist of close-ups and ultra-wides and little in between.

hi eel, thanks for the comments.. i agree with you on that point.. i felt the same way too.. when i was preparing the pictures for this post i was unsure at first which subforum to post in cos i had quite a mix of photos from this trip.. ie, abstracts, people, landscapes.. in the end i realised i had more abstracts so decided to have a focus on that here.. maybe next time i can come up with a better compromise/mix ! :)

dominator said:
Somehow feels that the color and contrast are not enough.
#1, #3, #4 seems either not sharp or OOF imo.

Anyway good for you, able to enjoy the local kelong.

i guess the sky wasnt too good that day as well.. it rained throughout most of the trip! but i will watch that and remember your comments..

catchlights said:
isn't this is a floating fish farm?
Kelong is for catching fishes.

catchlights, thanks for pointing that out. i think that if you want to be technical about the term kelong = for catching fish,.. the uncle does catch squid, shrimp etc here. he has a purpose built net and haul/pulley system. btw, this used to function as a fish farm , but now that has ceased. this is mainly a living quarters/shelter and the men here mostly take boat trips out to catch fish, bring back their nets ..

maxmax said:
For #9, are you shooting from a window or outdoor?
Saw water droplets on the picture, is your camera all wet?

i was shooting with the camera, standing inside the shelter, the rain and wind were really wild...kelong was shaking too.. :) yes that is water droplets on the lens filter..

mercurial_streak said:
where is this kelong found? near seletar airbase there?

this is found in the johor strait.. there are quite a few kelongs along this stretch.. we got to here from pasir ris beach but the kelong was quite far away...

thank you for having taken the time to comment.. really appreciate that and will keep in mind your pointers.. :)

#8 works beatifully for me. All it takes is lower yourself a little and focus on the dog or the wet footsteps on the wooden boards. Of course with f2.8 would make the rest of the picture very story-like and give the mood for the rainy day.

Have fun. Next time going do include me.

Cheers!

photonick2004 said:
#8 works beatifully for me. All it takes is lower yourself a little and focus on the dog or the wet footsteps on the wooden boards. Of course with f2.8 would make the rest of the picture very story-like and give the mood for the rainy day.

Have fun. Next time going do include me.

Cheers!

thanks for your comments.. ! agree i could have explored more angles.. thanks for the tips.. :)

redstone said:
Out of curiousity, how can one visit a kelong?

Contact the owner? How?

hehee.. had a feeling someone would ask this.. a friend of mine knows the uncle..

otherwise, in local fishing forums.. sometimes contacts are mentioned but it is usually hush hush cos its illegal to allow people on board the kelong cos its not really licensed to accept visitors.. but if you are a "friend"..then it could be different.. pm me if you really interested.. i might be able to ask for the contact..

Sorry for I have point out that the differents between the floating fish farm and kelong. these two are totally different structure and functions.

This is floating fish farm.
sfarm2.jpg

taken from here.

This is kelong
kelong.JPG

Just do a google search about floating fish farm and kelong. you may lots of info on these.

hi catchlights, i really appreciate your efforts to enlighten us .. :)

i can see and do know the structural differences between the two that you are talking about, one is floating, one is anchored down with stilts, having visited these two types a few times myself.

please pardon me for using these terms loosely..but in most wikis i googled, "A Kelong (sometimes spelt Kellong) is a Malay word to describe a form of offshore platform built predominantly with wood..." and the last line " Other variants of Kelongs can be mobile, or may involve a large groups of Kelongs joined together into a massive offshore community." http://help.com/wiki/Kelong

i understand and agree with your concern that there is a need to use correct phrases so as not to mislead viewers who have not experienced things like these themselves.

Uncle calls his dwelling a kelong too..

actually u can go kukup in johor if u interested in kelongs or floatin fish farms.......jus 1 hr plus car ride away. get to stay in kelongs, visit floating fish farms and mangrove swamp. It is quite cheap too...... spent like rm70 per person for 4 meals n 1 night stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.