Loan camera to potential buyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoconceptz

Jul 10, 2006
East
Hi all...

Just curious about how many of you would actually agree to loan your camera to a potential buyer so that the buyer can "test it out", so as to make a decision whether to buy it if he/she is satisfied during the test period. Do you think that this is a reasonable request?

Cheers.

no, I wouldn't do it,
and I would say no to such request,
but if you want to do it, no one can stop you, and you at your own risk.

if the potential buyer is so keen, bring his own CF cards, SD cards, film or whatever, to test it out on the spot, this is far more then enough.

U can give him a personal warranty of a week or so...

If can i would like Cathy photo to loan me their 1DsMII and test test :cool:

Shouldn't loan, unheard of.

If not everyone can contact used camera seller and loan loan here and there everyday, no need buy camera liao.

What if he runs away with the camera set and you can't find him?
unless
he pay for the full amount and give him 3 days personal warranty to test it out.

Kinda dangerous to loan strangers if you hardly know him.
Play safe better.

:p :think: :p

Thank you for the advice so far.

What happened is that I am trying to sell my D50 and this strange request came through and like what some of you said, I have never heard of this kind of request myself. Was it also right that I put "NIL" for warranty status for the camera? Somehow this person didn't understood what it meant and kept on "suspecting" that there is no more warranty even though I mention warranty just over and my camera is just 1 year old. These are the 2 questions still being asked until now.

1. Is there any warranty remaining on this?

2. I suspect the answer is probably "no", but can I try first before considering to buy? Maybe a 2 day loan to test out and compare with my ******? Still not 100% on whether an upgrade will solve my problem of slow focus and night time shots.

Sigh... Never thought it would be that difficult to get one simple thing done.

I wun recommend loaning too. The other party might not even be a sincere buyer to suggest such an idea..

Save yourself the trouble and don't allow the potential buyer to test it for a few days.

There is no guarantee that he'll return it to you or if it is returned, it will be in bad shape.

Dumb idea. Stupid idea. Unreasonable request.

No. Options available:
- 1 week personal guarantee
- try on the spot

I don't think the pay in full as deposit approach would work. He could pay you the money, play with it for a week & break something on purpose & demand for his money back.

In Singapore, NO.

If you do want to let the potential buyer have a trial period, then you have to draw up a contract, and make sure that the full price you're asking for is paid up front, with provisions for any damage/repairs as well as usage and depreciation. Who knows, the person may be entirely genuine, or trying to get rent-free equipment to machine gun for a week FOC! LOL!

But seriously, unless you're a dealer or in the rental business, AVOIDING any problems is a lot less troublesome than trying to solve them.

Glad to see so many encouraging posts.

Anyway, decided to ignore this buyer for now and move on to see whether there are any more buyers out there.

Cheers.

My friend had a case where he sold a d100 to a buyer witha 1 week personal warranty. then the guy goes out and shoots a wedding/event puts a few THOUSAND shots on it and then a week later ask to return it.... quoting the personal warranty and how hes not satisfied... disgusting behavior... even a hundred test shots no problem, but that was just mad. try all you want, but loan is a NO NO.

Hi all...

Just curious about how many of you would actually agree to loan your camera to a potential buyer so that the buyer can "test it out", so as to make a decision whether to buy it if he/she is satisfied during the test period. Do you think that this is a reasonable request?

Cheers.

:bigeyes: cant believe i'm reading this....
he actually dare ask?:bigeyes:

Please, although CSers are largely good and honest people, there are those not-so-honest people around. I know one of the sellers who agreed to take a small partial payment for a 70-200F2.8IS from the buyer just because he drives a beemer. Ends up with the buyer disappearing altogether. Leaving the seller thousands poorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.