loan a handy digital camera for holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel_she

Jan 19, 2005
Hi,

I will be going for a 7 days holiday next month and don feel like bringing my film camera.

Can anyone be kind enough to loan out their digital camera?

Would like to have a 4 mega pixel at least and something handy.

Please let me know the size of memmory you could provide also. Thx.

thought of that but only go on holiday once a yr...hardly need a camera for other occasion.

Anyone willing to rent?

I am looking for a DSLR
Would like to try out the Canon 20D.
Anyone interetsed to rent also?

Sam2 said:
I am looking for a DSLR

DSLR is like a wife to the photograpgher. Will u loan out your wife? :confused:
Besides, 20D with the lens setup easily costs above $3,000. Handing $3,000 to a total stranger is definitely a :nono:

This is in no way my assuming you are like what I am about to say. And as alway I only throw in my two cents if no one gives a good enough answer, or dance delicately around brittle ice or too nice to say it as it is. Okay I am in a rant mood.

I learn that lesson years ago by lending a friend who formerly was a hobby photographer like me who decided to borrow my gear to do some office shooting like a one off thingy. Well familiar with Nikon and the camera system so I was after some nudging decided to lend my F4s & F90, 4 lens,flash and bag. Firstly he borrowed them longer then he said, hogged them over 3 months.Since I was going through a cool period with shooting, I did not think too much of it.

When I got them back, I noticed all have never been clean after use. All my cleaning lens tissue has all gone but the deepest cut. He drop my 70-210mm zoom or bumped it hard as there was a dent when the zoom was extended. It was bad as I think lens elements got misalign. Problem was I did not detect this immediately as I thought he would have looked after them as well as he did with his previously owned camera equipment.(he was a stickler for keeping his equipment in tip top condition) Suffice to say, he denied damaging my lens...and suffice to say..we are no longer friends too. Even if nothing was wrong when the equipment was return, there is always tension of some sort with lending certain things that is very personal to you. My other thing is lending others ride my mountain bike for example.

Like Eternity says...would you lend your wife out? With camera I notice 99% are that attached to their equipment.

If anyone were to lend you any kind of equipment. It will be a personal loan thingy. How much the law will protect that trust when something goes wrong is sketchy at best. I can't legally detain your I/C as an individual...etc. Just alot harder to proof in court if something happens. Even if I don't charge you a rental fee, you can bet I would like to have a deposit from you to the tune of the current price of the total equipment you borrow as collateral and spell out compensation terms if you damage or lose the equipment borrow. In that scenarios, company would be the best place to rent. Where everything is on the "up and up", legally bonded under a company...etc.

Don;t mean to offend you but I reckon you might be new to photography because if you are not, you would know anyone who is serious about their equipment especially pricey brands will rather you kill them and pry it from their dead fingers then to agree to lend a stranger or even a friend. Even if it is a 4 mp camera it still cost a couple of hundred buckaroos.

And there is also the issue of how well you know about digital camera..even if it is a point and shoot. What memory management system are you set up with? You bringing a notebook to store each day's shoot? How much memory do you need if someone were to lent you? How good are you with the digital equipment to use it well enough to document your trip? Or are you intending to borrow it alot longer to get use to learning how to use the camera as well? Camera Advertisement always claim it is so easy to use their camera..blah blah..point shoot, point shoot...etc but if you spend time reading around clubsnap long enough you will find how many come in here seeking help with some of the most basic and simple stuff about their camera or shooting problem or stories of ruining all their holiday shots. Just some things to think about.

You really want a digital 4mp P&S but not willing to buy one? Well if any company is going to rent you one..it will cost you a few hundreds for sure and maybe a hefty deposit. You migth as well buy a 4mp P&S and use during your trip and then sell it when you come back. You might lose a hundred or so in resell but it might be cheaper.

Not trying to cramp your plan but...this are pretty real opinion.

hI,

I am NOT flamming you or intending to offend you in any way.

I would like to make you a serious proposal:

I will lend you my Panasonic FZ 10, provided you are willing to sign a legally binding contract that makes you expressly responsible to return the camera in the same exact condition as was let out to you, including all accessories and memory cards, for a pre-determined period with the express provisio that you would buy the camera at current 2nd hand market prices (in the condition and at the time when the camera was first lent out to you) should you fail to return the camera in the said condition as when it was lent to you.

A full non-refundable deposit of the abovementioned amount with regards to age and condition of camera, and prevailing 2nd hand market prices here in ClubSnap would be required prior to lending out the camera without exception.

Interested? Please PM me.

Cheers and all the best for your trip! ;)

Sam2 said:
thought of that but only go on holiday once a yr...hardly need a camera for other occasion.

Anyone willing to rent?

Sam2 said:
I am looking for a DSLR

Anyone thought of this?

angel_she post to ask to loan a camera then came Sam2 replying saying interested in Canon 20D..... If you ask me I would say this is a scam somehow. :bigeyes: Like a Chinese saying Ming2 Ren2 Bu2 Zhuo4 En4 Shi4

theITguy said:
Anyone thought of this?

angel_she post to ask to loan a camera then came Sam2 replying saying interested in Canon 20D..... If you ask me I would say this is a scam somehow. :bigeyes: Like a Chinese saying Ming2 Ren2 Bu2 Zhuo4 En4 Shi4

Maybe they're a couple lah...

haha scam??? Actually i already hv a 300D. Although don use it often but still keen to try a 20D. ok understand that that is too expensive for rent.

Sam2 said:
haha scam??? Actually i already hv a 300D. Although don use it often but still keen to try a 20D. ok understand that that is too expensive for rent.

This is more interesting, I am not trying to flame anyone, but if you have a 300D already in the first place, why would you need to borrow and say you hardly need a camera on other occasion? What you say is indeed conflicting yourself.

Maybe some of you guys think I am a trouble maker, whatever it is just beware.

Sam2 said:

hi there , i'm sorry . seems like ur statement is very contradicting . since u haf a 300d y bother to loan a 20d . doesn't make sense rite.

just pack ur 300d n bring it along . no hassel to pay rent , or liability to any damages payment if it need b .

regards

Sam2 said:
I am looking for a DSLR

Not a problem :thumbsup:

I will ship it to you free of charge.
I will supply a 512meg CF card.
What lens would you like (I have a few).

No limit to the rental time!
My charge is AUS $2800 for the camera with kit lens.

Send it back by reply post when finished.

P.S. Do you think you will need any filters ? let me know.

Pablo said:
Not a problem :thumbsup:

I will ship it to you free of charge.
I will supply a 512meg CF card.
What lens would you like (I have a few).

No limit to the rental time!
My charge is AUS $2800 for the camera with kit lens.

Send it back by reply post when finished.

P.S. Do you think you will need any filters ? let me know.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

angel_she said:
Hi,

I will be going for a 7 days holiday next month and don feel like bringing my film camera.

Can anyone be kind enough to loan out their digital camera?

Would like to have a 4 mega pixel at least and something handy.

Please let me know the size of memmory you could provide also. Thx.

i can loan you a 10D with a 28-70L lens too with batteries and the works (battery grip), disposit non refundable S$5000. PM me if interested. :)

only intend to rent a simple and cheap digital camera but y r eveyone talking abt something so expensive. Anyway thx, got PM from someone already. :)

I hope you dont think we meant anything too insulting or bad but truth be told, we don;t know you from adam. Plus...even a few hundred bucks for a basic 4mp with enough memory module is still money and not that easy to earn.

What price kindness these days is something we can hope and wish for but not demanded. If someone is good enough and have the means to lend you one...then I say More Power to him/her. Please do right by this good samaritan.

Status
Not open for further replies.