'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body: Yay or Nay?

'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
Some people see it as gimmicky and a waste of time.

Others see it as the next big thing in DSLR photography.

What say you, eh?

i've seen commercial photographers use live view to better frame their subject with live view. so yeah i think it is good to have.

with technology now, spending so much without live view is like going backward isnt it? infact live view shd be improve. if no live view can oso forget about video capture.

To me, I feel that its just another additional features and its not a must

In the future models, if one doesn't have it will become an "inadequate" model. Just like AF, AE, continuous shutter, its another tool to help to make shooting easier. If one likes to prone on the ground to compose a low angle shot, so be it, I will use the live view.:)

i've seen commercial photographers use live view to better frame their subject with live view. so yeah i think it is good to have.

Commercial photographers, for decades, have used the most powerful live view of all: their own eye. I think you're referring to so-called commercial photogs who are too lazy to look through the OVF.

Good to have when you absolutely have to take a video or two but do not have your video cam around. But for best quality and longer video, still can't beat a dedicated video cam.

Some people see it as gimmicky and a waste of time.

Others see it as the next big thing in DSLR photography.

What say you, eh?

I don't find the need to use the LV on D300 or D3 but I certainly welcome the D-Movie mode associated with the LV on D90.

Erm...Its about live view, not video mode...btw, live view doesn't mean video mode.

Good to have when you absolutely have to take a video or two but do not have your video cam around. But for best quality and longer video, still can't beat a dedicated video cam.

Good to have! Lying prone/standing on higher ground just isn't an option sometimes.. And maybe one day you might just want to take a close-up of something you don't want to put your face too close to :bsmilie:

Simply put the feature in the cam. You'll never know when you might need it. So long the price isn't skyhigh just because of that feature.

Yah, if this feature is really a waste of time, why would any1 wants to buy angle finder during the film era? Thats because shooting thru the Viewfinder isn't always that convenient. In digital era, live view is a built in angle finder.:)

I'd say this feature is good when u need it...when u need to take shots at a height that is not comfortable for you or when you need to squeeze your camera into a crevice that your face have problem going into. But of course, live view to me is best when it has a flip up/down panel like the A300/350.

However, if the live-view comes at the expense of slower shutter speed, slower AF or other features, i'd give it a miss...

Commercial photographers, for decades, have used the most powerful live view of all: their own eye. I think you're referring to so-called commercial photogs who are too lazy to look through the OVF.

such an arguements are akin too,

"people has ridden a horse when they want to travel for point A to point B for CENTURIES. Those who take planes now are too lazy to get on a horse."

we saw some of the photographer actually hold their camera really high above head and randomly shoot and hope for the best picture taken.

at this point, live view really come in handy. at least u know what u are shooting

i feel live view is very useful when you want to shoot at awkward angles
for me,i use my angle finder right now
but i would prefer live view for sure

I know some of you might not agree... But I feel that the digital age has made our life as a photographer better, but at the same time, made ourselves as slave to the digital age.

Constant upgrading is a must now as in this new era of photography, having a new camera means to have a new system to get your jobs done. If you are the type in believing technology helping in your job to be simplier, you might disagree my point.

Now back to the subject, new DSLR technology is like a delicacy, is nice to have, but not a MUST. If you think you can get most of your jobs done with your current setup, stick to it but move on when you think its necessary. :)

LV brings greater convenience, so it's a good-to-have. Technology (generally, used in the right way) is meant to bring greater convenience to our lives, so since it's available, why not use it? LV technology is not so much revolutionary, but evolutionary in digital photography, so it's a good-to-have. I personally find it very useful when taking static macro shots, for accurate MF, as well as overhead shots.

Maybe those who disagree with having LV in DSLRs may want to elaborate their reasons? To me, it doesn't get into the way of normal shoots, so if you don't use it just leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.