Live matches on Mediacorp

Status
Not open for further replies.
ajneo said:
I wanna congratulate those in Singapore, and who refuses to subscribe to Starhub....

4 great 'live' matches for the whole world cup....

What is Singapore becoming? Anyone wanna wake up at 4 am and walk the distance to the nearest coffee shop?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/208987/1/.html

i think you get it wrong, only mediacrop is showing the 4 matches but SCV showing all the matches at its channels

http://www.starhub.com/general/worldcup/telecast_schedules/index.jsp

dkw said:
your point being....?

I am currently living outside Singapore... I just feel that it's a shame that people who do not want to pay starhub for the Cable TV will not watch 94% of the world cup matches...

I think it's certainly a sad state for spectator sports in Singapore.. I can afford it, and I will surely have subscribed to Starhub... but I cant speak for all the football fans in Singapore...

You may be rich, and think that the $$ that Starhub is charging is nothing... but do think abt others who can ill afford this...

starhub is probably paying some fee to secure the live feeds for the WC as well, also a time to earn more $. government' can't really do much.since this is a free society.

EPL TV rights are worth xxx millions a year, some huge TV rights have won exclusive rights over the next season or so, surely they'll lease/rent the rights to starhub etc and end users like us ultimately pay for the soccer player's exploding paychecks! up to S$300,000 a WEEK!!!!

I am not sure if anyone has heard of this, but during the Euro 2004, I read somewhere that there's a regulation that all matches from Quarter finals and onward, will have to be telecast on "free-to-air" channels...

Maybe things have changed...

$30-$40 is nothing to me... considering that I pay US$30 to watch some stupid Pay per view EPL games between Man Utd and Bolton...

But I think literally "forcing" common folks who want to follow this great events to open their pockets is not the greatest thing to do...:nono: but like we used to sing... WE ARE SINGAPORE...

ajneo said:
I am currently living outside Singapore... I just feel that it's a shame that people who do not want to pay starhub for the Cable TV will not watch 94% of the world cup matches...

I think it's certainly a sad state for spectator sports in Singapore.. I can afford it, and I will surely have subscribed to Starhub... but I cant speak for all the football fans in Singapore...

You may be rich, and think that the $$ that Starhub is charging is nothing... but do think abt others who can ill afford this...

I don't understand you, are you saying:

1) That Channel 5/Mediacorp should fork out the exorbitant fees to FIFA so that a minority of football fans (I would guess no more than 30% of people who watch TV) could get free-to-air World Cup, at the expense of other programming like cartoons, educational material, news etc.

2) That Starhub should subsidise the WC watchers at the expense other viewers, as above, or

3) The government should step in and subsidise the transmission of the WC, with tax-payers money?

Which is it?

Is the World Cup such a Life and Death event that the folk who can not/do not want to pay deserve so much sympathy and compassion? I'll save mine for those who can't afford their medications.

If you want to complain, write in to the rich footballers who make $100,000 a week. The rising costs of TV sports is directly related to players' wages.

Puhleez, get some perspective!

4 live matches on Channel 5 are too little. :angry:

I am 1 who is unwilling to pay that $10 extra for 100% of the WC matches.
What makes them think I pay $12/mth for the sports channel for?! bloody suckers!

ajneo said:
I am not sure if anyone has heard of this, but during the Euro 2004, I read somewhere that there's a regulation that all matches from Quarter finals and onward, will have to be telecast on "free-to-air" channels...

Maybe things have changed...

i heard of something like this also.... either things has changed or starhub conspire with mediacorp so that mediacorp only show 4 live matches...

dkw said:
I don't understand you, are you saying:

1) That Channel 5/Mediacorp should fork out the exorbitant fees to FIFA so that a minority of football fans (I would guess no more than 30% of people who watch TV) could get free-to-air World Cup, at the expense of other programming like cartoons, educational material, news etc.

2) That Starhub should subsidise the WC watchers at the expense other viewers, as above, or

3) The government should step in and subsidise the transmission of the WC, with tax-payers money?

Which is it?

Is the World Cup such a Life and Death event that the folk who can not/do not want to pay deserve so much sympathy and compassion? I'll save mine for those who can't afford their medications.

If you want to complain, write in to the rich footballers who make $100,000 a week. The rising costs of TV sports is directly related to players' wages.

Puhleez, get some perspective!

To be perfectly honest... you amaze me with your single minded ability to see things in a one dimensional sense.

I guess World cup is nothing really great... if you cant afford ONLY $30 which starhub is charging.. (actually I am not sure how much it cost)... you should just shut up and forget abt the game... after all, it's just a game of 23 people chasing after the ball... what's the big deal! And more importantly, Mediacorp got the BEST GAMES! The semis, the finals, and the opening...

Now I feel so happy for everyone who cant afford to subscribe to starhub...

That's why I congratulate these people on the great deal that has been struck between Media corp and Starhub.

I hope this sound like music to your ears... it amazes me how single minded one can get... I think you certainly earned my admiration... :bsmilie:

(Hope this sounds like music to everyone's ears)

there's always the great malaysian channels RTM1 and RTM2 on antenna.
chill people...

i didn't subscribed to the Starhub PPV on world cup....find it a waste of money since i will not watch every single match

alechim said:
I am 1 who is unwilling to pay that $10 extra for 100% of the WC matches.
What makes them think I pay $12/mth for the sports channel for?! bloody suckers!

Same here, me too! rather use $10 to bet the match and see result next day.

ajneo said:
To be perfectly honest... you amaze me with your single minded ability to see things in a one dimensional sense.

I guess World cup is nothing really great... if you cant afford ONLY $30 which starhub is charging.. (actually I am not sure how much it cost)... you should just shut up and forget abt the game... after all, it's just a game of 23 people chasing after the ball... what's the big deal! And more importantly, Mediacorp got the BEST GAMES! The semis, the finals, and the opening...

Now I feel so happy for everyone who cant afford to subscribe to starhub...

That's why I congratulate these people on the great deal that has been struck between Media corp and Starhub.

I hope this sound like music to your ears... it amazes me how single minded one can get... I think you certainly earned my admiration... :bsmilie:

(Hope this sounds like music to everyone's ears)

Excuse me? I'm 'single' minded? I bet you mean 'narrow' minded, didn't you? You are the one totally lacking in any kind of perspective. Look back at your first post..."What is Singapore becoming?" you say? So, please tell me, what is the problem statement? Is there something that you are unhappy about that requires remediation? Or are you just blaming some "nebulous" authority for failing to ensure that the deprived masses should get access to the holiest of holy events, the WORLD CUP!. Please enlighten me about your multi-dimensional approach to this world shaking issue.

Up till now, you have not even answered my question directly, what exactly is it you are unhappy about? I assumed it was that there was a lack of access to live matches, so I took it a step further and put to you what you may consider to be solutions to the problem, to which you have conveniently sidestepped as well?

I ask again, is your expectation for Universal availability of World Cup Broadcasts? Yes or No? If that is your expectation, then, who do you expect should pay for it? MediaCorp? Starhub? The Government?

I'll ask you one more question. Since you feel so strongly about this, if some stranger asked you to sponsor him $30 so that he could watch the World Cup, versus someone who asked you for the same amount to buy some medications, who would you give your money to?

You are the one with total lack of clarity of thought.........sheesh.

dkw said:
Excuse me? I'm 'single' minded? I bet you mean 'narrow' minded, didn't you? You are the one totally lacking in any kind of perspective. Look back at your first post..."What is Singapore becoming?" you say? So, please tell me, what is the problem statement? Is there something that you are unhappy about that requires remediation? Or are you just blaming some "nebulous" authority for failing to ensure that the deprived masses should get access to the holiest of holy events, the WORLD CUP!. Please enlighten me about your multi-dimensional approach to this world shaking issue.

Up till now, you have not even answered my question directly, what exactly is it you are unhappy about? I assumed it was that there was a lack of access to live matches, so I took it a step further and put to you what you may consider to be solutions to the problem, to which you have conveniently sidestepped as well?

I ask again, is your expectation for Universal availability of World Cup Broadcasts? Yes or No? If that is your expectation, then, who do you expect should pay for it? MediaCorp? Starhub? The Government?

I'll ask you one more question. Since you feel so strongly about this, if some stranger asked you to sponsor him $30 so that he could watch the World Cup, versus someone who asked you for the same amount to buy some medications, who would you give your money to?

You are the one with total lack of clarity of thought.........sheesh.

Dkw, you are really good, if you are the only one replying to the post, I would have believed that we are really fortunate to get to watch FOUR free matches…. After all, there could be none (Four is better than three).Furthermore, the money that media corp used to pay for these four matches could have been used for other charitable purposes… I TOTALLY agree with YOUR POINT….

Since I feel that the postings from you is getting a little personal… it’s becoming more of a finger pointing, mugslinging session than a proper discussion of issues that people are concerned with, I think I better ACCEPT you point.

I can understand where you are coming from. I sometimes lose myself in trying to win an argument. And in this case, I am not trying to win the argument, looking at the other post, it seems that there is a cause for my “concern”. Sometimes, it may seem that one has won an argument, but he may have lost his point (and the big picture)…. (*cue* MM Lee)

To the rest who are boycotting Starhub, I must say *total respect*… I, for one, would never have gone against them, and would have guai guai pay up… and let them squeeze every single cent that I can afford… It’s a good thing that I am in a country where World Cup is televised FREE.. I mean ALL 64 matches… but I guess after being enlightened by one of our fellow community member, I do feel how fortunate you guys are, to be able to watch FOUR LIVE MATCHES…. Not to mentioned DAILY HIGHLIGHTS!!! No words can describe this happiness… especially when I see homeless people on the street (This is getting out of point)

Chill everyone… hopefully we can all get to see the big picture for these FOUR matches

dkw 1 - 0 ajneo

bets anyone?

(rem to chill....)

To ensure proper closure, let me show my sincere acceptance of DKW's stand by posting direct replies.

Quote: Excuse me? I'm 'single' minded? I bet you mean 'narrow' minded, didn't you? You are the one totally lacking in any kind of perspective. Look back at your first post..."What is Singapore becoming?" you say? So, please tell me, what is the problem statement?
Ans: There's problem, actually Media Corp gave us the solution... FOUR LIVE MATCHES. I dare not say you are "narrow minded" after your convincing post... your ability to go into minor details showed that.

Quote: Is there something that you are unhappy about that requires remediation? Or are you just blaming some "nebulous" authority for failing to ensure that the deprived masses should get access to the holiest of holy events, the WORLD CUP!. Please enlighten me about your multi-dimensional approach to this world shaking issue.
Ans: My answers can never be earth shaking enough, it's only the world cup... not even worth as much as the medication needed to treat my cough. And I must agree that you are definitely the one

Quote: Up till now, you have not even answered my question directly, what exactly is it you are unhappy about? I assumed it was that there was a lack of access to live matches, so I took it a step further and put to you what you may consider to be solutions to the problem, to which you have conveniently sidestepped as well?
Ans: I think you sound more unhappy than I am, apolgoies if I have caused any grief, I brought this up for discussion, didnt know you will take it so personally upon yourself.... the world needs more people like you, who takes things so personally... we have lost the personal touch. I think the only solution I can offer is for

Quote: I ask again, is your expectation for Universal availability of World Cup Broadcasts? Yes or No? If that is your expectation, then, who do you expect should pay for it? MediaCorp? Starhub? The Government?
Ans: I previously expected to at least have the quarter finals onwards telecast live on free to air channel.. After your enlightenment on how this money can go towards helping the poor, i expect nothing from the government, starhub, or media corp... i only wish for World peace... I know now that the money that they saved(media corp) or earned (starhub) will be used for medication purposes

quote: I'll ask you one more question. Since you feel so strongly about this, if some stranger asked you to sponsor him $30 so that he could watch the World Cup, versus someone who asked you for the same amount to buy some medications, who would you give your money to?
Ans: This think your question really strike the heart of the issue... I will, without doubt, give money to the person who wants to buy medications... what a great question... then again, why should we end up in this state of needing to beg for the $30?.... I guess my question is pretty reduncdant considering the great need of cheaper medication in Singapore.

Quote: You are the one with total lack of clarity of thought.........sheesh.
Ans: I cant agree more, after the enlightenment from you, the great master of CLEAR THOUGHTS.

And once again... Chill.... (I must be really free to care about Singapore when I am 10k miles away.... haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.