Live matches on Mediacorp

Status
Not open for further replies.
ajneo said:
Dkw, you are really good, if you are the only one replying to the post, I would have believed that we are really fortunate to get to watch FOUR free matches…. After all, there could be none (Four is better than three).Furthermore, the money that media corp used to pay for these four matches could have been used for other charitable purposes… I TOTALLY agree with YOUR POINT….

Since I feel that the postings from you is getting a little personal… it’s becoming more of a finger pointing, mugslinging session than a proper discussion of issues that people are concerned with, I think I better ACCEPT you point.

I can understand where you are coming from. I sometimes lose myself in trying to win an argument. And in this case, I am not trying to win the argument, looking at the other post, it seems that there is a cause for my “concern”. Sometimes, it may seem that one has won an argument, but he may have lost his point (and the big picture)…. (*cue* MM Lee)

To the rest who are boycotting Starhub, I must say *total respect*… I, for one, would never have gone against them, and would have guai guai pay up… and let them squeeze every single cent that I can afford… It’s a good thing that I am in a country where World Cup is televised FREE.. I mean ALL 64 matches… but I guess after being enlightened by one of our fellow community member, I do feel how fortunate you guys are, to be able to watch FOUR LIVE MATCHES…. Not to mentioned DAILY HIGHLIGHTS!!! No words can describe this happiness… especially when I see homeless people on the street (This is getting out of point)

Chill everyone… hopefully we can all get to see the big picture for these FOUR matches

why do i get the feeling that you are having a bout of 'sour grapes' syndrome disguised as fighting for those who cant afford to pay the $10. the thing is those who really really cant afford to pay the $10 probably cant afford to subscribe to starhub paid channels in the first place. besides..pay per view is nothing new, and starhub is not the only broadcaster in the world who is doing this.

anyway..the sad thing is really the bidding war that goes on at such events. broadcasters who wish to broadcast these events have to cough up a lot of money. so like dkw said..we should really blame the exhorbitant salaries that professional footballers are getting....and fifa.

BTW, juz a question. A simple question that I hope everyone here would answer.

Assuming IF u're the marketing manager for Starhub CableTV. In charge of the subscription rates for the channels. World Cup is coming, the biggest business opportunity plonks on ur lap just like that since u're the single monopoly in the entire country to provide CableTV service.

U know precisely that the number of rabid football fans and bookies around in Singapore that they would do anything to watch all the matches even if it means waking up 4am at night, sleeping at 6am and taking leave the next day to catch another match held probably in the evening.

Now, to charge or not from a business perspective? Subscribers have a choice. To either take it or leave it.

Where businesses are concerned, u've got 2 choices - steel ur heart to charge a minimum sum ($10 isn't really an astronomical amount compared to the number of ppl who bet and win per match) OR not charge at all, potentially be branded as a 'charitable organisation' and make future PPVs extremely hard to implement (face ur dark side guys, humans ARE greedy and exploitive by nature. Give them free once, they expect it to be free forever).

Anyway, where this PPV is concerned, u guys have a choice: To subscribe or not.
Between a simple, watch or no-watch, see newspaper.

Soccer, World Cup. What's the exact appeal of 22 men running all over the field for a single ball and a silly guy in black running all over the field with 22 men that u guys have to make such a big hoo-ha on whether u wanna subscribe to watch or not? :dunno:

P/S: I know I'm gonna get slaughtered for the above thought on soccer, but to me its just another game, another sport... kelong sport that is. :bsmilie:

ajneo said:
To ensure proper closure, let me show my sincere acceptance of DKW's stand by posting direct replies.

Quote: Excuse me? I'm 'single' minded? I bet you mean 'narrow' minded, didn't you? You are the one totally lacking in any kind of perspective. Look back at your first post..."What is Singapore becoming?" you say? So, please tell me, what is the problem statement?
Ans: There's problem, actually Media Corp gave us the solution... FOUR LIVE MATCHES. I dare not say you are "narrow minded" after your convincing post... your ability to go into minor details showed that.

Quote: Is there something that you are unhappy about that requires remediation? Or are you just blaming some "nebulous" authority for failing to ensure that the deprived masses should get access to the holiest of holy events, the WORLD CUP!. Please enlighten me about your multi-dimensional approach to this world shaking issue.
Ans: My answers can never be earth shaking enough, it's only the world cup... not even worth as much as the medication needed to treat my cough. And I must agree that you are definitely the one

Quote: Up till now, you have not even answered my question directly, what exactly is it you are unhappy about? I assumed it was that there was a lack of access to live matches, so I took it a step further and put to you what you may consider to be solutions to the problem, to which you have conveniently sidestepped as well?
Ans: I think you sound more unhappy than I am, apolgoies if I have caused any grief, I brought this up for discussion, didnt know you will take it so personally upon yourself.... the world needs more people like you, who takes things so personally... we have lost the personal touch. I think the only solution I can offer is for

Quote: I ask again, is your expectation for Universal availability of World Cup Broadcasts? Yes or No? If that is your expectation, then, who do you expect should pay for it? MediaCorp? Starhub? The Government?
Ans: I previously expected to at least have the quarter finals onwards telecast live on free to air channel.. After your enlightenment on how this money can go towards helping the poor, i expect nothing from the government, starhub, or media corp... i only wish for World peace... I know now that the money that they saved(media corp) or earned (starhub) will be used for medication purposes

quote: I'll ask you one more question. Since you feel so strongly about this, if some stranger asked you to sponsor him $30 so that he could watch the World Cup, versus someone who asked you for the same amount to buy some medications, who would you give your money to?
Ans: This think your question really strike the heart of the issue... I will, without doubt, give money to the person who wants to buy medications... what a great question... then again, why should we end up in this state of needing to beg for the $30?.... I guess my question is pretty reduncdant considering the great need of cheaper medication in Singapore.

Quote: You are the one with total lack of clarity of thought.........sheesh.
Ans: I cant agree more, after the enlightenment from you, the great master of CLEAR THOUGHTS.

And once again... Chill.... (I must be really free to care about Singapore when I am 10k miles away.... haha)

My fren, you started the personal attack in post #13 with sarcastic replies, not me. I suggest you drop it.

FYI there is a huge difference, if you hadn't already noticed, between sports broadcasting in the US and Singapore. Corporate sponsorship via advertisements draws far greater amounts than they do in Singapore, which is one of the reasons the WC can be screened free-to-air there (if it is indeed being screened free to air; I am in the US for most of June, and try as I might, have not yet managed to identify a free to air channel screening the world cup - a delicious irony since I've already paid my $10 donation to Starhub).

Espn 2 and ABC will be broadcasting all 64 matches for free.

No PPV necessary.

Just fyi

:vhappy:

I think the one point I want to bring up is that Singapore is a place where the TV Broadcasting is in fact "monopolised". Hence there isnt a choice to talk about in the first place.

I understand the need for PPV... and the need to make money...

Previously, we were able to watch from quarter finals on Free to air, now, only from semis... next time, prob just the finals.

While I see the logic behind milking the commercial value of this, I wonder sometimes that we, being able to afford it, have lost the "compassion" for those less able family. It's just the simple joy of enjoying the game by the common man in HDB being taken away that made me post this thread.

I do see where those who oppose to my views are coming from,but I hope you take a minute to try considering the flip side of things. I must make it clear that I am not here to win arguments, but here to highlight something that may be swept under the carpet just because the vocal majority CAN AFFORD it...

I cant help by feel sad at the state of things. And the fact that there's such support for the action of the Broadcaster makes me feel worse... I think that is the way that most of us are... good at accepting things thrown on our plates (I do not think there's anything bad about this, please do not get me wrong)... So... like what I always do when I am Singapore... I rest my case...

ajneo said:
Espn 2 and ABC will be broadcasting all 64 matches for free.

No PPV necessary.

Just fyi

:vhappy:

I think the one point I want to bring up is that Singapore is a place where the TV Broadcasting is in fact "monopolised". Hence there isnt a choice to talk about in the first place.

I understand the need for PPV... and the need to make money...

Previously, we were able to watch from quarter finals on Free to air, now, only from semis... next time, prob just the finals.

While I see the logic behind milking the commercial value of this, I wonder sometimes that we, being able to afford it, have lost the "compassion" for those less able family. It's just the simple joy of enjoying the game by the common man in HDB being taken away that made me post this thread.

I do see where those who oppose to my views are coming from,but I hope you take a minute to try considering the flip side of things. I must make it clear that I am not here to win arguments, but here to highlight something that may be swept under the carpet just because the vocal majority CAN AFFORD it...

I cant help by feel sad at the state of things. And the fact that there's such support for the action of the Broadcaster makes me feel worse... I think that is the way that most of us are... good at accepting things thrown on our plates (I do not think there's anything bad about this, please do not get me wrong)... So... like what I always do when I am Singapore... I rest my case...

ok lah...one minute silence for you. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.