Little Girl in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

revelatio83

Oct 8, 2006
DSC03039%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Link to a bigger image

Hi peeps,
Shot this picture in one of the schools in New Zealand.
I was trying to focus on her eyes and hair as i love how the sunlight shines onto it.

Would like to know your comments on the composition and colour of it. As well as advice on post processing it. Been playing around to make the colours stand out more.

Sadly i forgot to set it on RAW and shot it in JPEG instead. :(

Its has not be edited in anyway except to resize it.
I am using a Sony a100 with a Minolta 50mm 1.7 aperture lens.

Cheers!

DSC03039%20%5B640x480%5D.jpg

Link to a bigger image

Hi peeps,
Shot this picture in one of the schools in New Zealand.
I was trying to focus on her eyes and hair as i love how the sunlight shines onto it.

Would like to know your comments on the composition and colour of it. As well as advice on post processing it. Been playing around to make the colours stand out more.

Sadly i forgot to set it on RAW and shot it in JPEG instead. :(

Its has not be edited in anyway except to resize it.
I am using a Sony a100 with a Minolta 50mm 1.7 aperture lens.

Cheers!

..hmm, I feel compositionally it looks good by me, although there is evident softness due perhaps to camera shake as a result of a quick snap, and also, it is a tad overish in exposure.

All else technical aside, this to me, is a portrait. You caught the very character of that girl! So sweet!

I like the color and the lightings that came from the side :thumbsup:

composition wise, it is more of a direct standing point and shoot ( say cheese shot ). Could have lower your view point by squating down and capturing more of the background. Since you are standing so close to the subject, F1.7 DOF will be very shallow, could use like F2.8 or even F4 to sharpen your subject.

nice smile you captured. :thumbsup:

i am going to say that this is a nice portrait that i like.

i am actually surprised that no one has drummed so much on the lack of sharpness, i think it is fine here. the problem lies with the overexposure of her clothing, which does distract a little (not a lot) from her face, and that beautiful expression.

if only the exposure was dialed down a stop or two, i think it would be great despite the lack of sharpness.

one thing I feel will help to to digitally dim the highlight on the left background. It is rather distracting as it is easily the brightest portion of the picture. very distracting.

Very nice expressions. Excellent capture albeit being a soft and overblown highlights. Has a huge potential to be a great portrait if you had got everything right. Nice capture though!

since she was posing for u, u could have taken abit of time to try different angles for the shot. the background is a little bit on the distracting side and i am quite surprised your lens was not able to throw it into a nicer bokeh.

i am not sure the reason for the softness since your camera has the sss built in.

hi guys!

really appreciate the feedback so far. ya it was a quick shot of the girl actually i did squat down but she was on a little chair so the angle still wasnt that great. Gotta take extra note of my aperture when shooting. esp with digi cams i din notice that it was that blur till i got to see the actual pic on my comp which by than i was miles away.

will try abit of post processing and put it up again for ur comments! hehz..

cheers!

Nice shot, i really like the way the little girl looked at you when u take this shot. :thumbsup:

it's a bit tight at the moment, i'd have pulled back abit and I'd also have tried a portrait frame, and go for the eyes... As mentioned it's a tad soft - try a BW, and bring out more contrasty tones.

it's kinda soft, isn't it?

Yo thks guys,

I do agree it is quite soft. On hindsight i wish i did shoot a protrait shot instead of a landscape one. On hindsight again wish i checked my Aperture setting before i took that shot. ^^

Hmm i did played around with BW on it. Will try it out with the contrast and lighting adjusted.

Will post another one soon, a different kid (actually a few seats away from her) this time a Portrait shot and see how it goes ^^.

cheers

If you don't mind... Applied an overall warmer tone and added a little warmness to the blown face. Repaired the blown coat.

DSC03039.jpg

By the way... better not post pictures in Adobe RGB. Even Firefox3 doesn't support color management out of the box.

The eyes are out of focus. The shot would look "enchanting" if the eyes were to be sharp+shallow DOF. I think that it's better to be kept as landscape than as portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.