Little girl.. Big step

Status
Not open for further replies.

overwrite

Dec 16, 2009
Serangoon
4195040424_292ced703a_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I'm interested in comments about the composition and the "feeling" you get from this image.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope that I can receive comments to improve my skill, at the same time, receive praises to raise my confidence.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took the photo while taking a walk near esplanade (my work place) and I saw this little girl jumping on the steps with both legs. She stopped and dazed when she reached a very big step. That's where I snap the photo.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
At one point in all our life, we have to take a big step. But we must stop and think before we jump into it. : )

Last edited:
Hi Denny

i would suggest working on the right of the subject..... sun seems to be coming from that direction casting a light shadow on her left side..... which you captured

Compositionally, you did OK with the rule of thirds but unfortunately thats about it.... i guess viewers might be be curious to know what kept her interest

I hazard a guess that you'd shot this with at 35 or 50mm and at a point higher than her height? Work the angles more aggressively in future in relation to where the light is coming from (and I dont just mean the sun.... the ground she is standing on is bouncing off quite a bit of light too)

Thanks for the comment. Will keep those suggestion in mind. This is my 3rd day using a DSLR. A very fresh newbie : )
Please keep the comments coming in.

Khai, if you are reading this. Thanks for selling your 500D to me even when someone else offered a higher price. Thank you.

think about this - you are trying to show "little girl, big step"

right now, she doesn't seem to be doing anything related to big step. yes, there is a little girl, she is looking to the left, and there are some stairs there.. but what you are thinkign isn't being portrayed here.

in photography, a certain amount of imagination is needed for certain conceptual photographs, but you need to nudge your viewers gently in that direction, not expect them to read your mind and make a leap in logic to see what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.