Little Girl At Chinatown

acousticjun

Jul 18, 2010
Singapore!
www.littlesofthands.com
5412037537_8470b47ce9_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition - how may I bring more attention to the girl
Colours - are they natural looking?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I went down to Chinatown to capture some CNY spirit but most of the shops looked the same and it started to look boring after awhile.
I saw this family presenting this Lion doll to the little girl and knew a good moment was coming up!

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Standing in the middle of the path getting bumped and stared at

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?

Comments please:)

it's a nice street shot. not a great one. but nice. too many distracting elements. the mother takes most of the attention because most of the girl is blocked by the lion and strings.

could it have been taken from the side?

I wonder why your photo frame is dim...
It look like you taking photo over the glass or gate.;p

What u can do in future is to reduce the elements u have within your frame. U have at least two person in the background. And i was looking at what they are doing. That takes my attention away from you main subject, the girl. There are lots of things on display also, not sure what they are. I think it will be good to try to make it minimal. That way, you can make your subject stand out more.

Kei and Moving Frame: I agree with the fact that there are two many elements, but I was aiming to show how a scene of how the little girl was being presented with the toy with her family, which is why I included them. Just taking the little girl alone wouldnt show what was going on.
Perhaps I can increase the bokeh for the objects in the background.
I had plenty of time to compose the shot but did not take from the side because that way I would miss the girl's smile.

Ray: haha that's because I added some vignetting to try and force more attention onto the girl

Kei and Moving Frame: I agree with the fact that there are two many elements, but I was aiming to show how a scene of how the little girl was being presented with the toy with her family, which is why I included them. Just taking the little girl alone wouldnt show what was going on.
I had plenty of time to compose the shot but did not take from the side because that way I would miss the girl's smile.

before some particular seniors step in and scold you for throwing the word "bokeh" around casually, bokeh actually means the quality (or niceness) of the background blur.

if you want to get a stronger blur, use a larger aperture or longer focal length. and i would suggest to have shot from more towards the right side a little. then will you isolate the subjects more as they will block off the people around.

I went down to Chinatown to capture some CNY spirit but most of the shops looked the same and it started to look boring after awhile.
I saw this family presenting this Lion doll to the little girl and knew a good moment was coming up!

Ray: haha that's because I added some vignetting to try and force more attention onto the girl
TS - I like the moment that you have captured.. as said you spend time preparing for the shot... but I guess you can also spend time thinking about the shutter/aperture.. image could do with a larger aperture (to blur the background).. you ahve two guys in the background that just take attention away...

I would have prefer a tighter composition... attached is a version that I would have gone with.. (I did a little bluring of the two chaps but it is not natural + quick 5mins fix).. once you have view it.. I will remove from thread..

5446591369_6b0acf2c09_z.jpg

Two Cents Comments

acousticjun, i like the pic. Good capture of expression and the essence it is trying to tell: joy, family warmth, etc. I guessed the title was misleading since it targeted at a human element. Naturally, most would relate the picture to a single human element instead. Nevertheless, it is a good effort. Thanks for sharing. I really like it.

i like the pp treatment you applied to the photograph. but composition is lacking, with the huge empty space on the far right, could have framed the girl much better in your photograph.

5412037537_8470b47ce9_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition - how may I bring more attention to the girl
Colours - are they natural looking?

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Standing in the middle of the path getting bumped and stared at

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?

Comments please

agree with the above seniors, your composition could be better. honestly, i feel as though the uncle on the left's aquamarine shirt diverts attention away from the girl (which i believe is your centre of attention in your picture) maybe a tighter crop as quoted below would result in a better picture :) just my 2cents haha either a tighter crop or isolate other distractions with a thin dof :thumbsup: otherwise, nice attempt :)

TS - I like the moment that you have captured.. as said you spend time preparing for the shot... but I guess you can also spend time thinking about the shutter/aperture.. image could do with a larger aperture (to blur the background).. you ahve two guys in the background that just take attention away...

I would have prefer a tighter composition... attached is a version that I would have gone with.. (I did a little bluring of the two chaps but it is not natural + quick 5mins fix).. once you have view it.. I will remove from thread..

5446591369_6b0acf2c09_z.jpg

Two Cents Comments
this is an awesome crop but still appreciation to TS for snapping it haha

maybe u could have waited a while more for the girl to remove her hand from her nose :)

removing my earlier cropped/edited image as my flickr space is running low.. cherio

Try to crop and leave just the mother and girl in the picture to focus on the smile. Think this work better for me. :)