Little Flower..

mysimba

Jan 14, 2010
Jln Kayu
DSC_0088.jpg
[/IMG]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
framing, exposure, color balance

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
learning experience, to learn how to take photos of beautiful flowers with unique perspective

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Photo is taken at Sentosa almost 7 in the evening with minimum sunlight...

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I thought this gives a pretty natural colour of the flower.

1. image is dark. exposure is not good.
2. white balance is not correct.
3. its too soft
4. lack of impact to the viewer... the image is not compelling.
5. composition can be improved

---------------------

1. if you are shooting raw adjust the exposure to taste.
2. set the temp according to taste
3. unsharp mask will do the trick
4. make the subject stand out to create the drama and the separation.
5. shoot asymmetrically or top view tilted. try to avoid placing the subject dead center.

Last edited:
Hey yoz! My point of view for this photo is that the photo lacks impact. Really.

Firstly, the composition is fair, i would prefer the flower to go slightly on the left of the frame (rather to stay in the middle all the time), perhaps following something like the "rule of thirds" will help our eyes flow correspondingly in the photo, making the photo more impactful, giving stronger contrast and maybe adds some loneliness/isolation to it.

The middle of the flower is not in focus, i would personally suggest a slightly smaller aperture (greater f/no.), to make sure that the flower is totally in focus while the background remains blurred.

Secondly, colours. Not too bad, but this photo lacks contrast. No black or white points in the photo, so i suggest you deal something with the histogram. Also change the midtones of the photo for a better contrast. Saturation can also be increase slightly little more. (Do not over-saturate though.)

Bottom-line, good photo, well captured, but photo can be enhance a little more. May be good for home prints, but professional wise, still not there yet. working abit more on the compositions (where to position the flower in the photo) will definitely help a lot.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the honest critique from Laposto and Photofreak123.
Will try to use the tips given for me to improve on my phototaking skills...

either there is handshake, or focus is slightly off. you mention low light settings, guess is former.

as others have mentioned, even if this is sharp, the problem is isolation here, your flower is not quite isolated enoguh.

hi mysimba i think the idea is there. you have framed it such that the bokeh is really interesting. so what is lacking is the subject which the others have covered - pay more attention to sharpness, exposure and give it more weight on the subject. take same shots at different apperture - you never know which one may do the trick.

I will go a little closer and shoot from a tad lower to the ground, making sure that the centre of the flower is sharp.

And maybe position the flower a bit more to the left of the frame.

Keep trying, cheers!

Thks rronnie..
thks pokiemon..
ive noted the pointers and will apply those during my next so called 'little flower' photo shoot.:cool: