Liquidation of local travel company, Five Stars Tours

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
No more 5 stars.

“Over the last two decades, Five Stars Tours has expanded across the island with 8 branches, more than 200 dedicated staff, and a growing customer base of more than 300,000.”

Lianhe Wanbao reports that Five Stars Tours Pte Ltd has applied for liquidation of the company. All business operations has ceased in its branches and affected many would be customers to purchase their trips back home.

To the understanding of the newspaper, the person in charge for the Five Stars Tours has already filed a case at the police station. The main branch of the company has also closed down the outlet, staff of the company had a tense expression on their face while moving in and out of the outlet and avoided the reporter when being approached. Many customers came and left empty handed without their tickets.

The reporter of Lianhe Wanbao tried to call the person in charge and the other 7 branches of the company but no one picked up the calls.

With about 20 more days to Lunar New Year, many of the Malaysians living in Singapore are rushing to purchase their tickets back to their country to spend the new year. Apart from this, many Singaporeans are also taking time to go for overseas travel. With the sudden closure of Five Stars Tours, it is believed that many customers will be affected as a result of it.

Apart from the closure of the branches, the website of the Five Star Tours is closed as well.

Please include more details if you want to share some later news in Kopitiam.

"No Head No Tail" Threads will be deleted in future.

Threads merged.

Commercial Affairs Department in contact with management!

SINGAPORE: Police said they have been informed that Five Stars Tours (Private Limited) has ceased operations.

A police report was lodged on the matter.

Police also advised members of the public affected by the agency's closure to remain calm and abide by the law.

Those seeking civil recourse can approach the Small Claims Tribunal or CASE.

Channel NewsAsia understands that the Commercial Affairs Department is in contact with the management and staff of the agency, but no details are available.

In March 2013, there were reports that Five Stars Tours was in financial difficulty, but the agency had denied it.

- CNA/gn

CNA source

Internet booking has 'kill' another brick and mortar business... businesses must evolved or risked going the way of the dodo... :think:

I, for one, have not make use of the service of a Tour Agency ever since most Hotels, Airline, even Dive Centers had their own websites and booking plus payment could be easily done over the internet...

Sad that they have chosen the timing of their closure. I am sure the company did not come to this stage only recently. Why took in all the CNY bookings then decide to close? Criminal !

What happened to them? They expanded too big too fast or owner gambled away riches?

How this is affecting customers who paid Five Stars Tours for their CNY travel. Seeing (5) stars.

Graphic credit: Colourbox.com

3461200-874509-beaten-up-emoticon-seeing-stars-above-his-head.jpg

Internet booking has 'kill' another brick and mortar business... businesses must evolved or risked going the way of the dodo... :think:

I, for one, have not make use of the service of a Tour Agency ever since most Hotels, Airline, even Dive Centers had their own websites and booking plus payment could be easily done over the internet...

I believe there are other reasons for its decline :(

If internet is the reason, other tour agencies will also go bankrupt too.

How this is affecting customers who paid Five Stars Tours for their CNY travel. Seeing (5) stars.

The 5 stars turn out to be death star :bsmilie:

images

Tour agencies still seem to have a following though, either amongst people who do not want to put too much effort into planning a holiday, or in general, the older generation.

That said, the increasing competition from alternatives has probably made their margins a lot thinner than before. Well, just because a company is old or was a terrific success once doesn't mean that it will be there forever. It's quite easy to just start on a slippery slope downwards. We've seen it happen to all sorts of international companies (e.g. Nokia, Ericsson) who were giants in their own time.

Last edited:
Tour agencies still seem to have a following though, either amongst people who do not want to put too much effort into planning a holiday, or in general, the older generation.

That said, the increasing competition from alternatives has probably made their margins a lot thinner than before. Well, just because a company is old or was a terrific success once doesn't mean that it will be there forever. It's quite easy to just start on a slippery slope downwards. We've seen it happen to all sorts of international companies (e.g. Nokia, Ericsson) who were giants in their own time.

It's all about innovation and creativity. Yesterday way of doing business is no relevance to today's

I have limited vacancies to go KL Times Square on 29 Jan 14 Wednesday via a luxuary Private Limousine bus. PM Me if you are interested to find alternative replacement of your ticket during CNY.

There is a rush to get rich quick. The business owner is not satisfied with slow and steady earnings of an established business.
He may roll the money into a variety of other ventures. And if there is failure in the other ventures, it impacts his tour agency business.

I have explained before my experience with a tour agency refusing to give air tickets or hotel room confirmation until literally 1 or 2 hours before the flight takes off from Changi Airport. I suspect the business owner in that case was rolling the money into something else. Hanging onto it until the very last minute.

Tour agencies have themselves to blame if travelers get turned off and use the internet to do their own travel arrangements.

Last edited:
There is a rush to get rich quick. The business owner is not satisfied with slow and steady earnings of an established business.
He may roll the money into a variety of other ventures. And if there is failure in the other ventures, it impacts his tour agency business.

I have explained before my experience with a tour agency refusing to give air tickets or hotel room confirmation until literally 1 or 2 hours before the flight takes off from Changi Airport. I suspect the business owner in that case was rolling the money into something else. Hanging onto it until the very last minute.

Tour agencies have themselves to blame if travelers get turned off and use the internet to do their own travel arrangements.

Singapore have evolved into a society that focus too much on materials wellbeing and lack the humanity.

is that your assumption or is that truth?

Singapore have evolved into a society that focus too much on materials wellbeing and lack the humanity.

This is what elitism does to a society.

Our world would still be a peaceful and happy place if we were a nation of contruction worker, carpenters, cleaners, bus drivers, hawkers etc. And we only spoke Hokkien instead of an English tongue.

Western education and western cultural influences are the roots of all evils.

It's time our schools start to teach the kids 四書五經, 孟子, 诗经, 唐詩 etc. and restore our faith and belief that we are a rising offshoot of the great middle kingdom. To slavishly cling to the colonial decadent past would see us becoming a morally and culturally empty soul. :)

Last edited:
This is what elitism does to a society.

Our world would still be a peaceful and happy place if we were a nation of contruction worker, carpenters, cleaners, bus drivers, hawkers etc. And we only spoke Hokkien instead of an English tongue.

Western education and western cultural influences are the roots of all evils.

It's time our schools start to teach the kids 四書五經, 孟子, 诗经, 唐詩 etc. and restore our faith and belief that we are a rising offshoot of the great middle kingdom. To slavishly cling to the colonial decadent past would see us becoming a morally and culturally empty soul. :)

You know.. part of the reason is also Asian Inferiority complex... Ang Mo "tua kee" logic...

I do not think Ang Mo are in anyway superior to Asian.... In fact, Chinese values have such a long history... I think it is much better than Ang Mo.... but now... their culture have corrupt the world....

As long as White are in government... they will suppress Chinese education... who was the ones who discriminated against Nan Da, and change the name to NTU???