Jun 17, 2009
Hi everyone, I took this photo at the zoo. I used a Canon 500D, settings:
-Shutter speed: 1/160
-Aperture: f5.6
-ISO: 800
-Lens used was Canon 400mm f5.6L

3906249587_724b53707d_b.jpg

1. In what area am I seeking critique?
I would like to know about my composition, as well as my PP. I only did some saturation and increased clarity too, so I would like to know if it could have been better.

2. What do I hope to achieve from this picture?
I wanted to portray the fierceness and show the majesty of the lion as the king of animals.

3. What do I think of this picture?
I think it's pretty good, taking into consideration that it's my first shoot involving 'wildlife', but I shan't say too much. I'll just wait for C&C from you all.

Thanks and cheers! :)

You have missed the focus. The eyes are not sharp. You should've just stop down abit and bump the iso up abit to increase the shutter speed, abit of motion blur noticed as you're using a telephoto. Not sure if your lens have IS, but rule of thumb, 1/focal length. You're using 1/160 on a 400mm lens.

composition wise, not here nor there, if you wanna emphasize the face, do a crop which emphasize that, the patch on the left is kinda redundant here, and there is a slight tilt on the face, which is rather disturbing to me. Try to rotate the image slightly to the right to correct the face, a straight shot = perpenticularity importance.

alright thanks for the advice.. :) more C&C welcomed!! :)

Try using a tripod since your 400L isn't an IS lens. This lens is super sharp if focus is spot on and a high shutter speed or tripod is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.