Linux, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
any Linux pros/gurus here? i'm exploring options for using linux dat is bootable on CDs for me to surf. so far, i only know Knoppix. is there other options? i'm not too keen on installing linux on my laptop cos (a) still need windoze for PS, and (b) very bad experience installing mandrake last year...

been a while since i caught up with all the various flavours of Linux. appreciate some guidance here. :embrass:

Try Ubuntu.

www.ubuntulinux.org

They have a 'live' version too. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and very easy to use. I prefer this live CD to Knoppix, and definitely prefer the installed version of Ubuntu to Mandrake (which I also had a bad experience with, long ago).

nightwolf75 said:
any Linux pros/gurus here? i'm exploring options for using linux dat is bootable on CDs for me to surf. so far, i only know Knoppix. is there other options? i'm not too keen on installing linux on my laptop cos (a) still need windoze for PS, and (b) very bad experience installing mandrake last year...

been a while since i caught up with all the various flavours of Linux. appreciate some guidance here. :embrass:
U need Linux bro? ;)

U can grab a copy of linux here: http://fedora.redhat.com/
My copy is RedHat 8 so some stuff (like wireless LAN) doesn't work too well and u have to recompile the WLAN driver if urs is not supported.

Fedora Core 4 is a lot better.

U want u can do a dual-boot oso? Install Linux first before doing Windows. Both have their strong points. Alternatively, u can wait till the MacIntel comes up next year. Prolly all ur windows PS plugins might be able to work on it.

I was using Ubuntu for quite a while on my previous laptop which dont know due to what problem that I couldnt install windows on it after it crashed! My IT friend installed quite a few versions of Linux for me before and I find Ubuntu the easiest to use. I dont even remember the names for the other versions now :confused:

skinnylatte said:
Try Ubuntu.

www.ubuntulinux.org

They have a 'live' version too. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and very easy to use. I prefer this live CD to Knoppix, and definitely prefer the installed version of Ubuntu to Mandrake (which I also had a bad experience with, long ago).

hmm.. thanks, skinnylatte! haven't seen this one b4.

actually, it was mandrake dat put me off linux. must be me, i guess... tried installing in a partition hdd on my laptop. totally messed up the system. plus, it was a pain trying to find all the drivers needed and i wasn't familiar with all the Unix commands. got one heck of a time trying to figure out even the simplest task of installing a programme and creating a folder. in the end, i gave up. gave the CDs away to another fren of mine.... come to think of it, dat was the last i heard of my fren... :sweat:

thanks for the help, folks! will be downloading the ISO from the website tonite to try. just hope it won't crash my laptop again.... :sweat:

Zplus said:
Ubuntu's pretty easy to use.... hope you like it.
;)

thanks, Zplus... downloading it now.

if anyone hears a loud and anguish scream somewhere in CCK... just ignore. its just my laptop crashing.... :sweat:

anyone install Mac OS in Linux on a Intel x86 machine?

mol_top.gif

Wai said:

mol_top.gif
Nope, I never did that... I've a couple of solaris and redhats for me to play in office :bsmilie:

Wai said:

mol_top.gif
U mean something like wine?

Nah... Got my iBook, happy can install Fedora Core 4, or YellowDog Linux do dual boot. :)

jsbn said:
U mean something like wine?

Nah... Got my iBook, happy can install Fedora Core 4, or YellowDog Linux do dual boot. :)

wine? anyway, i have been using ibook too, waiting for intel based powerbook before i upgrade ;p

love the 15" HD wide screen :lovegrin:

hope you have a better time with ubuntu! run as far away from windoze as you can! :)

(my escaping windows story also involved unhappy experiences with mandrake first, then red hat, then... i found peace in mac os x)

skinnylatte said:
hope you have a better time with ubuntu! run as far away from windoze as you can! :)

(my escaping windows story also involved unhappy experiences with mandrake first, then red hat, then... i found peace in mac os x)

aiyah.... when doing digital photography..... cannot run away from windoze one lah..... linux no colour management...

idor said:
aiyah.... when doing digital photography..... cannot run away from windoze one lah..... linux no colour management...

but colour management in windows is a joke too...the coming windows vista claims to be better in handling this...but let's wait and see :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.