Linksys, Netgear, SMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
I intend to upgrade my home to have wireless broadband. I am on Singnet broadband, using 1 desktop and 2 laptops. I know I need 1 router, 1 wireless PCI card for desptop and 1 wireless PCMCIA cards for each laptop.
Are there any difference between these 3 brandnames:
- Linksys
- Netgear
- SMC

I'm using Linksys, SMC, have heard 1-2 cases the router keeps failing after a year.

get 3Com, you're guaranteed satisfied.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
get Cisco... ;p
you pay for me?! Thank you, my Idol!
Too bad i'm not a female, or you'll get a kiss from me FREE! ;p

There are also other brands to consider:

- Belkin
New player to the network market I believe. But their 3rd-party peripherials are first class. I believe its a lifetime-warranty for their routers the last time I'd asked a couple of shops in SLS. Ask again to confirm. Their main office is in Suntec.

- Cisco
If u strike Toto, u can buy it. But they make excellent network stuff. BTW, Cisco had bought over Linksys so technically, Linksys routers ARE Cisco routers. But Linksys routers are usually targeted for consumer market and Cisco routers are targeted for networking professionals and companies. U know what it means dude.

- Buffalo
So far frm wad I know, only 2 shops in SLS carry this brand. Not many ppl know of Buffalo in Singapore. MediaPro on Level 5 and another shop on Level 3 right beside the VCD shop. Juz got this router to replace my ol' Netgear. No protruding antenna. Wireless range quite ok. Features a lot of security stuff packet shaping, IDS, MAC Filtering and u can even adjust the power of ur wireless antenna via software! 2yr warranty.

mi using linksys... pretty good so far. I find that linksys got more comprehensive network product range too.

IMHO shouldn't go for PCMCIA cards... it drains your processor cycles. If got USB type go for it.

should be no much difference lah~

Anyway the few brand u named r all ard the same price range...100 over bucks only.

Looks like Linksys is very popular here and HWZ.
One more question, a wireless router need to plug in my Singnet-provided ADSL modem, right? Someone told me there are wireless router that includes ADSL modem?

Its always better to have a ADSL modem and router seperate.

I'm using a WRT54G with Talisman 3rd party firmware. End result : jaw dropping. ... a linux box running in that router.. and it makes it more powerful than the default firmware Linksys provides.

I'm also using WRT54G, and yes it's very powerful. But with power comes a headache from configuring. :bsmilie:

Astin said:
Looks like Linksys is very popular here and HWZ.
One more question, a wireless router need to plug in my Singnet-provided ADSL modem, right? Someone told me there are wireless router that includes ADSL modem?
Yes, there is, you can put the dial up settings into the ADSL modem/router and it will dial up automatically for you when you switch it on, after that your other machines can connect to the modem.

CrashWire said:
I'm also using WRT54G, and yes it's very powerful. But with power comes a headache from configuring. :bsmilie:
I'm also using the same router but I find it very easy to configure ;p

Am using SMC, no issue configuring and easy setup. :)

linksys :thumbsup:

get 3com from chamoxa...they are cheap and have good service ;) well worth the money spent

abt 6 mths ago I managed to get a 3com wireless B router with belkin wireless G card for $120 during a promotion...I have recommended complex to others before and I do not think its too bad~

cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.