Lingerie ad woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

koplady11

Dec 2, 2009
East forever and ever
Does lingerie ad show women in right light?
Letter from Grace Leong 05:55 AM Feb 16, 2011

I saw a big lingerie advertisement near a bus stop along Pasir Ris Drive 1. It shows frontal view of a bigger-than-life semi-nude model, wearing only panties, her bare chest covered by her arms.

It is strategically located where there is good human traffic - at the bus stop, the traffic light and opposite a mall. It is a picture that is hard to miss.

Are there are any decency guidelines for public advertisements to adhere to?

As such advertisements are easily accessible to children and teenagers, how can parents protect their young children and teenagers from being exposed to such images? Where does one draw the line?

If the purpose was to sell ladies' panties, I am not sure how successful it is considering that most ladies are probably too embarrassed to look long enough to find out what is being sold.

How should lingerie companies advertise then? Ask your customers, whom I assume are mostly women, what is tasteful and what is taboo?

Women like to be seen as sensuous and beautiful but not objects that gratify sexual lust. It is a fine line and it may backfire if the line is crossed.

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110216-0000200/Does-lingerie-ad-show-women-in-right-light

And the reply...

The way I see it, lingerie ad well-shot, decent
Letter from Gary Ow 05:55 AM Feb 17, 2011I refer to Ms Grace Leong's letter, "Does lingerie ad show women in right light?" (Feb 16).

I have seen the ad she mentioned and, yes, it is in the right light, namely: Key, back and fill lighting.

The wattage of the lighting used in the photography of the model in question is probably about 2,000 watts and is usually sufficient for this sort of photography.

In short, the shot is well lit and the subject is in focus.

In response to her other question: Are there any decency guidelines for public advertisements to adhere to? In my opinion, it is a decent shot because the image is not blurred nor out-of-focus.

Ms Leong also mentions the ad being "strategically located". I believe, more to the point, the model's arms were strategically located, or the ad would cause accidents.

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110217-0000209/The-way-I-see-it,-lingerie-ad-well-shot,-decent

If it is a really "well done" ad, I think the bus companies will receive a truck-load of complaints from the male customers: "I awaited for hours, how come your bus never come one har?!" :bsmilie: (severe distraction)

Last edited:
nothing worng with the ads leh.

in fact seeing them on the streets really brighten up stressed minds de ;)

lingerie ads portray women as sex objects...

:nono:

Come on, it's portrait and pose. It's art. :bsmilie:

depends. the ads are more skewed towards getting the attention of men. so that men'll desire their significant others to dress like that.

to a certain extent, the ads are sexist because it plays to the sexual gratification of men, with the portrayal of women as sensual objects.

these ads also create the desire for women to look like that... it raises the insecurity of women. hence the increase in cosmetic surgery to look "better" and to dress that way so that men will desire them.

i disagree strongly :angry::bsmilie:

Come on, it's portrait and pose. It's art. :bsmilie:

depends. the ads are more skewed towards getting the attention of men. so that men'll desire their significant others to dress like that.

to a certain extent, the ads are sexist because it plays to the sexual gratification of men, with the portrayal of women as sensual objects.

these ads also create the desire for women to look like that... it raises the insecurity of women. hence the increase in cosmetic surgery to look "better" and to dress that way so that men will desire them.

let's hear what the women here have to say.... koplady, u still ard? :bsmilie:

Ok lah....if its like that, next time we'll use male models with buldging beer tummies, bald heads etc.... :bsmilie: Then no more being sexist, stereotyping etc....

My wife treats me like a sex-object sometimes... so how? Should I brand her as sexist piggie?? :confused:

C'mon man... haven't you heard of men/boys being abused (sexually or not) by women??

I know why some of my female friends watch Korean soaps okay... and they openly admit why.... Just as why some ladies also watched Desperate Housewives... (puh-please!)

Let's not point fingers here okay?

Last edited:
kriegsketten said:
My wife treats me like a sex-object sometimes... so how? Should I brand her as sexist piggie?? :confused:

C'mon man... haven't you heard of men/boys being abused (sexually or not) by women??

I know why some of my female friends watch Korean soaps okay... and they openly admit why.... Just as why some ladies also watched Desperate Housewives... (puh-please!)

Let's not point fingers here okay?

This is not really a fair response. Pointing out that something that could be perceived to be wrong is practised by the accuser achieves nothing in the way of addressing the accusation.

Just imagine you tell your kid: no vulgarities! His reply is that you also say them. So? Vulgarities are still wrong.

This is not really a fair response. Pointing out that something that could be perceived to be wrong is practised by the accuser achieves nothing in the way of addressing the accusation.

Just imagine you tell your kid: no vulgarities! His reply is that you also say them. So? Vulgarities are still wrong.

And you think that's how I teach my kid... RIGHT! (EDIT: and NOT what you think it is EITHER!)

Last edited:
let's hear what the women here have to say.... koplady, u still ard? :bsmilie:

Yes I'm here, and observing all the men's opinions. I dun wanna reveal my real opinions as yet. Sitting back and enjoying the reaction from you men... :bsmilie:

But appreciate it if got other ladies' opinions as well. Just fyi, it was a male friend who directed me to these links and boys being boys..... :sweat:

kriegsketten said:
And you think that's how I teach my kid... RIGHT! (EDIT: and NOT what you think it is EITHER!)

It's just an example. I don't even know if you have a kid and frankly, it's none of my concern in this discussion.

And you think that's how I teach my kid... RIGHT!

Chill bro krieg and.. Lol edutilos

We are afterall human, part of the animal kingdom. Both Male and females need each other. Such is the design by the ONE upstair ;)

Kids will understand when as they grow up.

The world has changed, we are not in an 'old' society anymore.

to sum it all up:

41255_428675579350_505644350_4791421_3968076_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.