Lines and Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lines_Curves_1.jpg

Ever stopped and looked at the station?

Your C&Cs are welcome

too academic: just lines, curves and straights, but nothing compelling as a picture.

too academic: just lines, curves and straights, but nothing compelling as a picture.

You mean your work hasn't? And I do recall you liking a certain pic of mine entitled " Of LINES and Curves"....

Do lines and curves have to be compelling? What is being academic in nature to you anyway? You mean still life isn't 'academic'? It is to me, Lawrence.

I think this picture is lovely.

So what if it is academic? Is being academic bad? What is wrong with being academical?

I need to get this right. Is this a place to critic the pictures or critic the critics?
both! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
everyone's entitled to personal opinion, btw

though therein lies the conundrum - if it is wrong to criticise the critic, is it then correct to point out (and therefore, in some sense criticise) the critic of the critic? =D

ok don't think about it, quite pointless

nice photo.. hope you didn't have to endanger yoruself to take it by stepping over the yellow line, hehehe (doesnt' look like you did, anw)

both! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
everyone's entitled to personal opinion, btw

though therein lies the conundrum - if it is wrong to criticise the critic, is it then correct to point out (and therefore, in some sense criticise) the critic of the critic? =D

ok don't think about it, quite pointless

nice photo.. hope you didn't have to endanger yoruself to take it by stepping over the yellow line, hehehe (doesnt' look like you did, anw)

I'm not a critic. I'm just asking. Serious, it was a question.

Interesting subject
Composition could use some work

As for the focus of the piece, it leaves me ambivalent
The lines & curves are not complementary, there are lines & curves

More of a tunnel effect, leading on to a overblown entrance would have been spectacular

It is not geometric enough to be a academic record
More like a snapshot of a interesting scene

I would definitely go back & try again
For me curves win over lines :)

all please focus the discussion on the picture in question :) theoretical debates can always be carried out under General, Reviews, Tech Talk subforum.

critique seekers are to be reminded that this is an open forum, so one must be prepared for all kinds of feedback. no matter how much critique a picture receives, it is the critique seeker's responsibility to filter useful information from useless ones.

Lines_Curves_1.jpg

Ever stopped and looked at the station?

Your C&Cs are welcome

the termination 'point' of the lines has too many details. although viewers are easily drawn to the relatively 'big' termination 'point,' the mess of details tends to trap viewers' attention there. to keep the simplicity in content and composition, a shot taken from a position much further back can help reduce the size of the termination point, and keep the emphasis on just the line patterns.

A critique needs to be justified with proper logic and reasoning. Otherwise it'll do more harm than good.

if you must post your disagreement, you might want to try a less personal approach? something like

'the picture might be an academic one, but there's nothing wrong with being academic. simple compositions of shapes and lines have their own beauty.'

do try to leave personal exchanges to private messages, if not there's always the General, Reviews, Tech Talk subforum or even Kopitiam to trash things out :)

the termination 'point' of the lines has too many details. although viewers are easily drawn to the relatively 'big' termination 'point,' the mess of details tends to trap viewers' attention there. to keep the simplicity in content and composition, a shot taken from a position much further back can help reduce the size of the termination point, and keep the emphasis on just the line patterns.

I agree with you after taking a long look at it. Most likely to try at a different point of view.

Drama, Thanks for your comments, would want to try it again as well.

Dunno which station is this.. are there gaps at the side of the curved area?
I think the picture will be more interesting if the sun was shining in from the gaps (if there is) & casting shadows onto the track & pavement.

just my 2cts..

cheers,
Andrew

frankly, all seems right for the photo. Creative idea and sharp eyes.
But it does not have that "wow" factor. I don't know, some appealing elements are missing.
Anyway I won't have such creativity :(

i would prefer it with an oncoming train at the far end.

beyond the technicalities, there is nothing really compelling in this photo. it's a one-look-and-it's-over photo.

there are no human elements so this probably falls much into the abstract photo category. however, this scene is so common and the angle being nothing new (at normal eye level height), it falls a bit short as it does not fire up any imagination, push any boundaries nor question anything new.

i think mrt stations are amazing things. :)

wide angle would have reduced the size of termination further. slight overexposure would have brought out certain details in shade and blown out the termination. slight over saturation would have added the impact. and if there was a silhouette formed at the terminal point, it would have pushed the pic in different league altogether.

thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.