Linear or Circular Polarizer for S602Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Fish

Nov 13, 2002
Serangoon
mrfish.clubsnap.org
Was wondering if anyone can tell me if i got the wrong filter. I got the Linear one from AP. Would it affect the focusing like what the hoya website says? Do i need to change to a circular polarizer instead? Thanks in advance!

Oh, thanks! Saved me a trip to SLS again. I got it at alan photo for 23 bucks. Dunno considered expensive or not. It's a 52mm one. Didn't bother to bargain with them. Hmmm

I think there were discussions before? Linear polarizers can't be used on autofocus cameras right?

check out some explanations in DPReview forums....
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1012&message=3905867

quoted from John Glover, a respected forum member.

The key is the beam splitter system used in most Af SLRs. If a camera uses a beam splitter to send a portion of the light to the exposure sensor and a portion to the Af system it needs a circular polarizer to meter correctly. There are some manual focus cameras, such as the Pentax LX and some of the Olympus OM series, that use OTF metering and split the light....thus these manual focus cameras also need a circular polarizer to fucntion correctly.

The 6900/602 does not use this system so a simple linear pol will work just fine. And, though I almost always agree with you Karl, a linear pol does not necessarily mean low quality. If you purchased a good, brand name ( B&W, Heliopan, etc.) linear, the quality should be there,

Status
Not open for further replies.