Line textures/pixellation on RAW images

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
Hi all!

I am currently encountering this problem. This happened on two separate trips. Once I imported Raw CR2 files from 5D MKII to my lightroom, realized there have this lines/grids when i zoom in. Sometimes the problem is so prominent it is visible at like 60%. Before importing when i view it at the viewer there is no problem, once it is imported it shows. I downloaded Fastone Viewer and the problem is the same when imported.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is it a camera issue or my computer issue? Very odd. The Raw files from nikon D700 looks okay.

Don't think it is viewable for online viewing but I am fearful it might show up in large prints.
See this for an example of affected style

Untitled by *iskandar, on Flickr

Anyone experienced this before? Thanks for your help

Last edited:
on mobile cant really see properly. will see again when im home.

so cant say much. is your noise reduction switched off?

and also u upgraded again?

Did you raise the shadow slider?

The vertical stripes in the 2nd photo looks pretty bad, for the rest of the photos i didn't see this issue.
This could be caused by a bad sd/ cf card, & the problem may be random. i guess it happens only in
your raw file, & JPEG file got no such problem.
i would suggest you to change to a new card (format it) & take a few photos. Check the photos to see whether
they have the same issue.
i may be wrong in this, but no harm giving it a try. good luck

Last edited:
Try using the Canon software instead or LR

on mobile cant really see properly. will see again when im home.

so cant say much. is your noise reduction switched off?

and also u upgraded again?
should be switched. I have to check the camera....which answers your next question, no, it's the school's one. hehehe

Did you raise the shadow slider?
No, I did not, no adjustment has taken place.

The vertical stripes in the 2nd photo looks pretty bad, for the rest of the photos i didn't see this issue.
This could be caused by a bad sd/ cf card, & the problem may be random. i guess it happens only in
your raw file, & JPEG file got no such problem.
i would suggest you to change to a new card (format it) & take a few photos. Check the photos to see whether
they have the same issue.
i may be wrong in this, but no harm giving it a try. good luck
I doubt it's a CF card problem since it occurs on my previous trip with a different card, this one is fresh out of the box. maybe it's the camera prob or card reader?

Try using the Canon software instead or LR
as in camera RAW?Okay I'll try download that program. But even when importing the RAW to Fastone viewer then, without adjusting I export it to a TIFF File, the files are botched.

Okay lets tackle the if it shows up in the print issue. Handle EVERYTHING the way you would normally (baseline image) and the other version just print it up to print size. Okay you do not want to go purist and print the large print (what is your definition of large print ? Mine is any thing above 20 x 30 inch ; 8R to me is a normal print, 4R is a thumbnail). Assuming you do not want to pay for more than 4R to check (okay I am a cheapskate that way too - why pay for a 10R just to check for defects). Open files in PS, find an area where you can see the lines, crop out a 4inch x 6inch @300 dpi piece, select and insert into a new file give that a name n save the new file; Old file close WITHOUT saving. Find another section it the test file - u need to reopen the test file, find an area that does not show the lines, do the same 4R crop and get another new file - name that. Print the 2 4R sized files. Check the prints - what do you see ? Nothing then on your large print size it does not show. Yes you have a problem. Go deal with the prob. Google the issues it maybe so one else has thing an gotten some answers how to deal with it.

It happened to me before, forgotten it was my D300 or D700. An once off thing. Never returned. Previously I asked around, nobody knew either. I was thinking it could be the sensor or AA filter or something...

hi,
i have consulted my prof. He said the sensor is burnt.

I retry opening the RAW with Fastone Viewer and then saving it to TIFF and JPG without any single processing, there are no GRIDS!

Hmmmm maybe it is the RAW conversion after all?

:(