[limwl27] APWP 2014 - Between cityscape and kids

limwl27

May 19, 2009
Singapore
flic.kr
Inspired by the bros here, I decided to start my own thread too. Hope to learn from everyone :)

Some self-imposed rules:
- At least 1 photo per week.
- Week starts from Mon and ends on Sun.
- Photos will be touched up as I like it contrasty and colourful.
- Each photo should be accompanied by description on composition and why I took it.

PS: Back dating to beginning of Aug 2014 so the end will be July 2015.

Last edited:

2 Aug 2014 (Sat) - 2014 National Day Preview
Sony A7 on Minolta 20mm f2.8 @ 4s / f8 / ISO400 in a single exposure

It has been a long time since we have watched fireworks live. So I brought my wife and 2 year old daughter down to Marina Bay Promontory area for it. We arrived early (6+pm) and managed to secure an unblocked spot for it. My wife took care of my daughter the whole time while we wait for fireworks, it's a heroic feat!

I decide to compose such that the fireworks will be framed (sort of) by the MBS and Raffle City buildings. The fireworks should cover the under-construction buildings behind the Esplanade area. I also chose to use a 4-5s with f8 so the streaks are bigger and brighter. To do this, I have to up the ISO to 400 and time my shots properly using the Remote Control app on my S5. This was the best single exposure with the fireworks not too overwhelming/underwhelming.

Last edited:

9 Aug 2014 (Sat) - I have a lalang stalk!
Sony A7 on Helios 44M-6 58m f2 @ 1/2000, f2, ISO100

14865018092_c148f62a71_c.jpg

We had a family lunch at Grub in Bishan Park. The queue is long so while waiting for our turn, we had to distract our daughter :| One of the things we used is a lalang stalk. She's very fascinated by how the wind blows the flowers away.

This is an opportunist shot. She was running and waving around and happened to be in the spot where there is sunlight falling on her face. Just nice, I have my Helios on and focused close to where she is standing. The background is also "busy" enough to test out the Helios "swirly" bokeh.

Last edited:
16 Aug 2014 (Sat) - Vivocity Evening
Sony A7 on VC 12mm f5.6 @ 30s, f8, ISO100

Vivocity/Harbourfront is one of our favourite shopping mall. Today, I brought my tripod to test our my new VC12 lens.

I opted to setup at the lower (level 2) platform nearer to the bridge side because there is less human traffic, hence less change of vibrations on the wooden flooring that may cause blurness. While taking a test shot, I noticed the train below. So, I setup for a 30s exposure hoping to capture the full streak. But, the train is too slow so I had to take another exposure and blend both the images together to get a complete light trail.

Last edited:
Nice start bro, keep it coming, nice timing on the fireworks, just watch out on the perspective distortions :) the helios seems to be revived again with the A7 haha

just watch out on the perspective distortions :)

Thanks! I didn't correct the perspective because it'll crop out some essential parts, i.e. the buildings in fireworks pic. Think I'll have to have more allowance next time (or stitch a panorama).

BTW, any mod can help me change the title of the thread to "APWP 2014"? I initially wanted to do 1 pic per week but guess I can do it "when possible" :)

Thanks! I didn't correct the perspective because it'll crop out some essential parts, i.e. the buildings in fireworks pic. Think I'll have to have more allowance next time (or stitch a panorama).

BTW, any mod can help me change the title of the thread to "APWP 2014"? I initially wanted to do 1 pic per week but guess I can do it "when possible" :)

Done:)

17 Aug 2014 (Sun) - Lower Pierce Reservoir
Sony A7 on VC 12mm f5.6 @ 1/400, f8, ISO100

We brought our daughter to Lower Pierce Reservoir for a walk. The sky looks good so I went down to the shore to take this.

I position the pavilion at the center where the clouds looks to be converging towards. In addition, I also use the shoreline and bridge to lead the view to the pavilion. I didn't bring my square ND filers as it doesn't work on the VC12 (in-built hood is in the way). Looks like I'll have to get the screw-in ones and come back for a reflection/smooth water shot again :)

Last edited:

19 Aug 2014 (Tue) - Munching her veg
Sony A7 on VC 35mm f1.4 @ 1/60, f2, ISO200

14947488146_132519bcc2_c.jpg

Today we are eating outside! I managed to take a pic when my daughter is eating her veg.

I like the lines and bokeh lights that lead into the background. However, the focusing is a bit off as I am focusing at the MFD of 0.7m for this lens.

Last edited:
17 Aug 2014 (Sun) - Lower Pierce Reservoir
Sony A7 on VC 12mm f5.6 @ 1/400, f8, ISO100

We brought our daughter to Lower Pierce Reservoir for a walk. The sky looks good so I went down to the shore to take this.

I position the pavilion at the center where the clouds looks to be converging towards. In addition, I also use the shoreline and bridge to lead the view to the pavilion. I didn't bring my square ND filers as it doesn't work on the VC12 (in-built hood is in the way). Looks like I'll have to get the screw-in ones and come back for a reflection/smooth water shot again :)

The CV12 LTM version can remove the hood to put a filter adapter 77mm. It's quite rare though.

The CV12 LTM version can remove the hood to put a filter adapter 77mm. It's quite rare though.

I see. Think I saw 2 of them in eBay. Actually, I have been working on a mod by using some nameless 3rd party holder with Haida 83mm filters. Seems that the "hole" (without the adapter ring) on the 3rd party one is big enough to fit the hood part of the VC12. My challenge now is to find out how to secure it properly during the exposure :/

I see. Think I saw 2 of them in eBay. Actually, I have been working on a mod by using some nameless 3rd party holder with Haida 83mm filters. Seems that the "hole" (without the adapter ring) on the 3rd party one is big enough to fit the hood part of the VC12. My challenge now is to find out how to secure it properly during the exposure :/

interesting. not sure the gap you have but you can try diy stores for some rubber gaskets used for window sealing. if u intend to do long exposure, you should watch out for any gaps that may cause light leak. good luck. a black lady's hairband can be useful at times. good luck!

21 Aug 2014 (Thu) - Sunshine after the rain
Sony A7 on VC 35mm f1.4 @ 1/60, f2, ISO200

On my way home, I saw this bed of flowers in a good sunlight and I thought it's a good idea to take a warm high key photo. I angled the sun to the top right and shot this wide open at close to MFD. On hindsight, it may be better to stop down a bit so the whole flower looks sharp. I simply love the bokeh of the FE55 ^^

Actually, I have been working on a mod by using some nameless 3rd party holder with Haida 83mm filters. Seems that the "hole" (without the adapter ring) on the 3rd party one is big enough to fit the hood part of the VC12. My challenge now is to find out how to secure it properly during the exposure :/

Just tried and it don't work. The 12mm sides are too wide on a FF camera. Looks like I'll have to get those screw-on ND filters.

22 Aug 2014 (Fri) - Evening @ Marina Barrage
Sony A7 on OM 24mm f2.8 @ 30s, f8, ISO100

We took a day off as our daughter's school is closed. After dinner, we brought her to the barrage to have a walk and see kite flying. I took the chance to test out the OM 24mm and VC 12mm more.

I shot from this position to use the railing to lead into the city. I was intending to use VC12 but it's a little wide so I switched to OM 24mm. It's still a bit tight but I am lazy to move back :p The OM 24mm is quite sharp and the 6 point stars it creates is a refreshing change.

23 Aug 2014 (Sat) - Cloudy Bishan morning
Sony A7 on VC 12mm f5.6 @ 30s, f16, ISO100 + ND3.0

I got the screw-on ND filter from the good bros at Photosphere.SG and am itching to test it. What better day to do it than a windy, cloudy day? I just love the motion blur of the clouds on a still cityscape :)

23 Aug 2014 (Sat) - NTUC Kite Festival
Sony A7 on Minolta 70-210mm f4 @ 1/200, f4, ISO100

Again, we brought our daughter to see kite flying. This time to the Marina Bay where the NTUC Kite Festival is held. It's good opportunity for me to bring the heavy beercan out for a shoot.

With a 70-210mm range and while carrying my daughter, the shots are limited to close-up shots of people and kites. I noticed these 2 colourful kites and the guy taking a pic. Quickly, I put my daughter down and took the shot.

24 Aug 2014 (Sun) - Drizzling day @ Changi Broadwalk
Sony A7 on VC 12mm f5.6 @ 15s, f16, ISO100 + ND3.0

We were at kelong broadwalk section. It's drizzling a bit so I took just 1 quick shot while sheltering the camera with my tee. The "sticks" provide a good entry into the pic. Maybe it's better to position the boats more to the right so the "sticks" to not block them but it was drizzling so I didn't want to risk the shot. Attaching the ND filter (without rain drops hitting it) after focusing proved quite challenging too!

27 Aug 2014 (Wed) - Cupcake Ring
Sony A7 on FE 24-70mm f4 @ 1/13, f8, ISO3200, 70mm, Vivitar +10 macro filter

Trying out the Vivitar macro filters as I just got them tonight. This is my first attempt at macro photography and it's not easy. The lighting needs to be strong as I need to stop down to keep the subject in focus. At f8.0, it's still not enough at MFD. If I move back, I cannot focus properly - could be limitation of using the macro filter. Maybe I'll use some step-down rings and try it on my 70-210mm f4.