Limited capability for non oem battery?

aling

Sep 23, 2010
I have a lumix lx5.
Does its job and serving me well.
Recently bought a second battery at sim lim square at the Singapore battery shop. They do batteries for almost any gadget you have but just not original.
At a fraction of the original too.
Funny thing is when I tried video shooting, the camera gave an error message saying 'not supported'. No details were shown.
Anyone know if its true that I can only use oem battery?
Thanks.

I have a lumix lx5.
Recently bought a second battery at sim lim square at the Singapore battery shop. They do batteries for almost any gadget you have but just not original.
Funny thing is when I tried video shooting, the camera gave an error message saying 'not supported'. No details were shown.
Thanks.

Some original batteries have a chip inside the battery. So OEM batteries might be missing the chip, or have a copied chip that does not have the full functionality.

Could it be a sd card issue?

I have a lumix lx5.
Thanks.

Why don't you try buying tested 3rd party batteries from a photo shop. Several in funan come to mind. You should buy batteries from a camera shop not some shop that puts cells together in a case and tells you it works in your cam.

As another person mentioned. Camera manufacturers, especially panny, is known to have chipped batteries. And only some 3rd party ones have decoded them.

My advice? Throw away the batt and buy a 3rd party one from a camera shop. Suggestions would be tk foto, SLR revolution, ms color (amk), parissilk (Hv), Cathay and orient photo. And test it before you leave the shop.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Probably not 'only', there may be some on the market that work. Gotta try to check reviews or ask shops that know their stuff.

Limited capability for non oem battery?

Probably, especially when specifically stated in the manual:

LX5 manual:

•Use the dedicated charger and battery.
•The camera has a function for distinguishing batteries which can be used
safely. The dedicated battery (DMW-BCJ13PP) supports this function. The
only batteries suitable for use with this unit are genuine Panasonic
products and batteries manufactured by other companies and certified by
Panasonic. (Batteries which do not support this function cannot be used.)
Panasonic cannot in any way guarantee the quality, performance or safety
of batteries which have been manufactured by other companies and are
not genuine Panasonic products.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX5.PDF

Yeah, what Agrivar said. Purchase from a shop that'll stand behind their 3rd party stuff. E.g., if it doesn't work, you can get an exchange easily. Actually, if many of the reputable shops don't carry 3rd party batts for your model, it's possible that even they haven't been able to find reliable ones.