Limited by cam or skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi~ET

Dec 2, 2002
SG
www.digiet.net
Hee...haven't been posting for a very very very long time!

Actually this problem has been haunting me for some time, we used to talk about equipment upgrading craz..... now I have been wondering... am I limited by my cam or skill?^^ Time to change a new one?

Personally ... I started with A40(1yr) now using a G2 (2-3yrs). Actually I am very happy with it especially the night shots, I feel canon cam are good for night shots! But...I noticed that I dun really like to take human, why ? I can't take pics like SLR having focus only on the human and a unfocus background.

I am now a on/off photography lover^^| (love it but lack the time to keep shooting like the past...ha). One reason I never buy the external flash and sell most of the other accessories is because I find them too heavy when I went travelling.

Loved to have DSLR, but upgrading is a big big jump cos I have no lens at all...nor do I feel my skill is there yet...am wondering...is my cam lagging behind or am I lagging behind my cam?

I feel the limitation in taking human pics (when compared with a pic taken with prime len hee). Macro is still ok ... although not as good. But as far as my favourite night scene is concern, it is GREAT^^

So am wondering...am I limited?

the way u say it, i guess its the camera..maybe u wanna get a 350d to try out? since its also a canon, i guess u should be fine with it. somemore 350d is not that heavy :)

and as u are already shooting for 3yrs+, should be very experienced.. y not switch to dslr and try it? u wont regret :thumbsup:

anyway IT Fair is coming soon, u can hav a try at many cams. then decide.

IMO, betta cams can focus faster & more accurately. even my biginner film SLR focus oso not v fast, & certain times not spot on acurate (hesitates)... :(

A person's photograph is limited by both the cam AND skill. However, weightage is placed more on skill over cam.

For instance, a fully automatic PnS with absolutely nothing to configure. When placed into the hands of a skilled photographer who knows the exact specs, workings & limitations of the camera would know how to work around the limitations and work the advantages to his ground.

HOWEVER, that doesn't simply mean that by working the knowledge of the PnS's advantage means that he can capture absolutely stunning pictures. Primarily, low-end PnS have slightly inferior lenses, coatings, memory buffers or even 'lower-end' films which the skilled photographer may not have control over it.

Thus although he can turn the PnS into an excellent camera for capturing reasonably good photos, the quality of the photos will never match up to one of a slightly higher edged camera with better optics, electronics, speed or the option of better film.

My 2 cents.

Hee...agreed, actually when I see macro from DSLR, the color.....and the oof is nicer...
Especially the oof area...when compared...it is much nicer!

A PnS can become great if well composed, but i guess as u have said, certain effects are impossible.

Actually not going to jump to a DSLR yet, but am wondering if I should if I have enough...and am I ready (since i nv owned a SLR before).

Some...shootings....since i mentioned abt skills vs cam...hee

Some flower shots:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?p=1924932#post1924932

Firework:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=179637

Yo ET... LTNS... you really MIA very long.

If you feel it's time to move on to SLRs, why not just do it? :D

limited by my fats...time to slim down...haha...cannot crawl and squat to take weird angle shots...haha

dragos said:
limited by my fats...time to slim down...haha...cannot crawl and squat to take weird angle shots...haha

if use digi, can always shoot till u get d pic u 1. treat it as an execrise, den u will sure slim down.

stand up- prone down- squat, (repeat 10x, do 5 sets a day!) :devil:

Hee... ya..I feel restricted but not sure izzit the cam^^| ...

Moving on to DSLR seems a huge step ... but ya...I would love to play with the lens! But seems I dun have anything near....would be a big jump.

ya, LTNS le^^ heee.....MIA from posting pics...but am still taking pics now n then^^ hee

Not a huge step la, apart from wallet grow smaller. :bsmilie: ;)s

lol...cannot squat / crawl? use remove or timer...and put ur cam on ground? haha

once u hit the dslr route, there is no turning back, like what i did....when i first got it, i wonder why did i take so long...haha

still remember when i just started, DSLR is still pretty new and high price, people are recommending jumping to SLR first before going DSLR. but given the pricing now, i guess can jump straight to DSLR...hee

btw....do u guys bring DSLR oversea? ...isn't it kind of bulky? and need bigger tripod..haha

I jumped form digital PandS to a Film SLR.. big learning curve but i played alot with prosumer Cams too... guess its just like what jsbn said, practice and work around the camera's limitations..

Everything comes together. Get a good camera is a must before you talk about getting good quality pictures and winning others confidence that you can control a professional camera. After that, practise with all your heart in getting your composition and exposure right. Balance your budget in spending on opportunities to shoot also. Different opportunities will allow you to learn different things and produce different pictures from the rest. I don't believe in shooting simple and free objects to learn composition etc. Clients outside won't buy this kind of crap when they see your portfolio. If we want to fail, make mistakes or learn, do it the painful way by dumping our money into studio or apply for jobs that will give us access to high profile events.

digi~ET said:
still remember when i just started, DSLR is still pretty new and high price, people are recommending jumping to SLR first before going DSLR. but given the pricing now, i guess can jump straight to DSLR...hee

btw....do u guys bring DSLR oversea? ...isn't it kind of bulky? and need bigger tripod..haha

wah you loaded ar... haha.

for me i guess when i look at the 2 digital camera's, my 2nd cam with manual mode + etc, my fz5 gave me more choices that i ever though was possible, cuz at that time i was using my outdated finepix a101.

i guess through my fz5 i learnt alot more about photography than before.

and yeah i kind of agree that jumping into DSLR route means more money...lens etc. so for me..i guess im sticking to my fz5. i still feel that i'm not skilled enough. havent even master a prosumer wanna master dslr.. haha. not that i'm rich anyway. i still have friends who are willing to get DSLR's to get 'the better pic than a prosumer cam'

i guess its all a matter of preference. but from what i see in this country, most people think that having a dslr means everything.

just my 2cents..

Nope, i am not loaded lah......infact poor....v.poor..haha...thats why i said not buying it now..but in future..haha.... just thinking if i can afford..shd i change.

I dun really think having DSLR is everything, skills matter....hee, but as much as I try...i can't get human shots with effect like those taken by SLR/DSLR (e.g using prime lens) ones....thats part of the reason why i nv really take alot of human pic..hee

digi~ET said:
Nope, i am not loaded lah......infact poor....v.poor..haha...thats why i said not buying it now..but in future..haha.... just thinking if i can afford..shd i change.

I dun really think having DSLR is everything, skills matter....hee, but as much as I try...i can't get human shots with effect like those taken by SLR/DSLR (e.g using prime lens) ones....thats part of the reason why i nv really take alot of human pic..hee

err. can explain to me what you mean by human shots? haha dont quite get it yet... :dunno:

pardon my english....i mean portraits...ha....or simply pictures of people

haha...one small step today, one big leap for your images....

if u feel that the investment is worth it and tt it is affordable, dun let the equipment restrict wat u can produce..

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.