Not open for further replies.

KCYong

Jun 18, 2008
Singapore
For all ur guides
i stick to my d60 with the kit lens 1st

for landscapes still ok

but for portrait , i cannot make bokeh very smooth and well
for distance or hav to crop out the unwanted things , i cannot do it with the limitation

for prime 50mm f1.8 , someone told me not to buy cos can use the kit lens at 50mm also can shoot bokeh
for telephoto lens , dont know 55-200 or 70-300 to buy
dont want to anyhow buy lens already

so what is the next step for me?

thx ^^

Last edited:
You want portrait bokeh, go for the 50mm f1.8. Or if you're really interested, the 85mm f1.8.

A decent zoom lens is your next choice. If you're low on budget, consider the 55-200. Else if you have a lil more, check out the 70-300VR :)

Ps : consider budget for flash and/or tripod

The Bokeh created by the 50mm F1.8 is not the same as your kit lens shooting at 50mm..... Have a try on the lens and you would understand what I mean... :)

You want portrait bokeh, go for the 50mm f1.8. Or if you're really interested, the 85mm f1.8.

A decent zoom lens is your next choice. If you're low on budget, consider the 55-200. Else if you have a lil more, check out the 70-300VR :)

If i'm not wrong D60 has no focus motor, so wouldn't the AF-D 50 mm f1.8 go with auto-focus on it?

To exploit the true big aperture powers of the super cheap and damn good 50 mm f1.8, i think the auto-focus will be necessary!

Equipment have limitation. However, most of the time it is our knowledge that is limited.
Try to read up in depth the meaning of DOF(Depth of Field) and aperture.
Read up the basic, that will help you to utilise your equipment potential to the fullest and know its limitation.

I agree with your last sentence. Do not anyhow buy lenses.
Know your shooting type, and get the lenses you need.

Just note that non AFS Nikkor lenses will not autofocus for the D60 body.
That will include the 50f1.8D and the 85f1.8D

Nice bokeh is not cheap, that is because most of these are
large aperture lenses and their price tags you can check out at the shop. Prime lens will be the choice and you must get use to zoom with your legs. :bsmilie:

for distance or hav to crop out the unwanted things , i cannot do it with the limitation

the DEPTH OF FIELD (how much is in focus) depends on three things:

1) subject distance compared to background distance

if background is further away as compared to subject to subject, then it will be more OUT OF FOCUS (or bokeh)

2) aperture

the wider open the aperture, the thinner the depth of field (more things OUT OF FOCUS or bokeh)

3) focal length

for equivalent aperture, etc, the depth of field will be thinner for LONGER focal lengths

you CAN get bokeh in kit lens, but it is not easy, you need to find a wide wide wide open field, shoot at longest focal length, and be as close as you can.

this is why a 50mm (cheapest large aperture prime lens) f/1.8 or f/1.4 will make it much much much easier to have isolation of subject

anyways, for good value for money, get the sigma 70-300 macro or tamron 70-300 macro, they are to be honest, very sharp from 70-200mm for the price you pay,.

stick to what you have now, make full use of it, let your skills outgrow the camera.

keep focusing on the limitation of the camera, will only limit your grow in photography.

Ah Beng bought D90 with kit lens, he is new in photography,
one day he ask his girl friend out for portrait taking,
he was not please with the results, cos the Bokeh wasn't nice on the kit lens.
so he asks in Clubsnap and somebody recommended 85f1.4,
he got the 85f1.4, took some portrait of his girlfriend,
He is very please with the bokeh this lens produce,
so he post the photos in clubsnap,
one person ask who is the model and what lens he use,
Ah Beng replied my girlfriend and shot by my new 85f1.4,
this person post "OIC, thanks for sharing",
The thread has one thousand over views and no other comments.

Ah Seng bought D90 with kit lens, he is also new in photography.
So he go research and understand that is the limitation of the lens,
at the same time he also found out that there many things to make a good portrait,
and he start thinking of how to make the portriat nicer with the kit lens,
by study the composition, the lighting, the posing, the expression, the mood etc...
after many months of hardwork, he is please the results,
Ah Seng replied my girlfriend and shot by my kit lens,
People relied, "Don't bluff!", "Really?" "Are you sure?" "Wow!" "can share with how you shoot this" "I tot kit lens CMI" etc etc....

Last edited:
If you need a lens with a longer focal length for the things you shoot, why not consider the 55-200? I've managed to get good subject isolation out of it. Then again, this is also true for the 18-55.

lol. sadly quite true, but the 50mm lens does help make life alot easier.

I hav already a tripod to do slow shots
but no flash coz still never attach to any event shooting
the 85mm f1.8........hav to stand very far from the subjects???

And some very important points enlighted me
With my limitation, i still hav to figure out somemore out of the limitations

the kit lens can shoot bokeh same with 50mm f1.8 is not me say
is the saler say one...==haha yalo i also wondering

thx for sharing:)

and do really need to zoom to 300mm with 70-300 to take shot?
very very far right >< never try

at the same time he also found out that there many things to make a good portrait,
by study the composition, the lighting, the posing, the expression, the mood etc...
People relied, "Don't bluff!", "Really?" "Are you sure?" "Wow!" "can share with how you shoot this" "I tot kit lens CMI" etc etc....

Nice story :thumbsup:
I get it!

To TS,
AF 50mm f/1.8 is about the cheapest wide-aperture prime out there. As far as 'bang-for-your-bucks' is concerned, I rate it very highly.

2 things that should concern you:

1) lack of auto-focus motor on D60 body. Therefore, no auto-focus with this lens. It might or might not be a hindrance to you. Try switching off the AF function on your kit lens and see if manual focus is ok for you. It's ok for me! :)

2) field-of-view with 50mm.
50mm on a DX body seems ok for half-body portraits of 1 person. I find it too 'tight' when bringing it out to take photos of my friends at dinner, perhaps. Can't fit 3 people into a frame from opposite the table, or even stepping back a bit. Have to stand outside the restaurant... hahaha just exaggerating. Try zooming to 50mm on your kit lens and see if the field of view is acceptable to you.

good luck with your lens hunting! Don't anyhow BBB!

ya i try the 50mm already
hav to stand quite a distance to get hAlf-body portrait
do u shoot that way too?

You need nice bokeh, you need to get AFS lens by Nikon or HSM lens by Sigma f/2.8. That's all D60 can accomodate. Oh and the new Nikon AFS 50mm f/1.4. Other lens like AFD lens by Nikon, D60 will not work. As long you get f/2.8 lens, that should do the trick for bokeh. Not that super huge effect but you will have that bokeh, at least. It will be costly, but it gets the job done. Or be patience for Nikon to build for more focal prime lens that has AFS in it, like the new AFS 50mm 1.4 as I mentioned above. Cheers mate.

For all ur guides

for landscapes still ok

for prime 50mm f1.8 , someone told me not to buy cos can use the kit lens at 50mm also can shoot bokeh

thx ^^

do u shoot that way too?

Standing further away has it's advantage too. The proportions of the facial features will look more life-like. It may not be very obvious if the focal lengths are not very different, but the perspective you see of the background will also change.

Comparing a shot taken with a longer focal length versus a shorter one, ensuring that you have distanced yourself appropriately to get your subject to fill the same area in your frame, the shot with the longer focal length will give you less of the background (hence less distractions). If you are able to achieve good bokeh with the longer focal length lens, you can then get a somewhat creamer bokeh than with the shorter one because there will be less colours (because less background).

Happy experimenting.

do u shoot that way too?

I used it quite a bit on a holiday trip recently, to take photos of my gf with the blur background. To get half-body with enough background to know where it is, I found I had to stand at least 3-4m away (based on memory... I'm sitting here in front of my PC trying to imagine the distance)
The bokeh isn't creamy smooth on the 50mm/1.8.
It's blur enough to isolate the background, yet the background is still defined enough to see where it is. Suits my needs.

I don't agree with the comment that this lens will not work with the D60. I use it with my D80 in MF quite often. Just have to ask yourself if manual focus is acceptable to you. All the metering functions will work.

cheers

For all ur guides

for landscapes still ok

thx ^^

hi,
you have to manual focus the 50mm f1.8 on your D60. you can try AF-S 50mm f1.4 or AF-S 35mm f1.8G(cheaper) for your OOF backgrounds.
55-200 VR is very good lens for its price. i used it with my D40.
you don't want your legs busy for composition of portrait shots? Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (motorized version) or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 HSM will work for you I guess :)

Wah, Ah Beng and Ah Seng story sounds good to those hunting for expensive lens. We as a photographer, must learn to make full use of the available equipment. :thumbsup:

Thanks all ur comments^^

how much is about the 55-200 now ?
dont know the 50mm is inconvenient or not
i find my fren for free model for me to practise :p haha

:thumbsup:

sadly, i think cs more ah beng than ah seng...

Status
Not open for further replies.