Limitation of Kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

newlover

Dec 16, 2010
Am new to photography.
Can share the limitation of this kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 based on your experience ?

The limit of this lens is the wide end is 18mm with widest aperture at f3.5 and longer end is 55mm with widest apeture at f5.6 :bsmilie:

The limits of the photo captured by this lens/body combo is limited by what you can see.

Last edited:
newlover said:
Am new to photography.
Can share the limitation of this kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 based on your experience ?

No bokehlicious ):

Welcome to the DSLR club. Since you are new, I suggest you experiment with your lens and improve on your framing and eye for details. Leave the limitation aside for the time being.

Technical limitations of this lens will be its not bright enough. I personally use a 17-50 for the past 5-6 years and am happy with it.

The limit of this lens is the wide end is 18mm with widest aperture at f3.5 and longer end is 55mm with widest apeture at f5.6 :bsmilie:

good one.....

anyway, I personally think that the limits are not only on the lens but also the person using the lens. A good photographer can break beyond the limits and produce good photos with the lens.

For eg, some people thinks that f3.5 is limited to bright lights shooting, while a lens with f1.4 is better better for low light environment. However a good photographer who knows how to use external flashes or other lightings properly can overcome that limit.

I'd say the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a very good lens for it's price. newbies should explore the lens to it's max before venturing to other lenses

Last edited:
No bokehlicious ):

That just proves you don't know how to use the lens. The kit lens can blur the background wonderfully too. Bokeh will depend on the lens design.

Rashkae said:
That just proves you don't know how to use the lens. The kit lens can blur the background wonderfully too. Bokeh will depend on the lens design.

Well u can blur it but it is not as wonderful as those prime lens . That's what i meant by bokehlicious. Its limitation is the bokeh as compared to prime lens :)

luckyorange said:
who say dont have?

it depened where ur target are, if u want bokeh u gotta shoot nearer....

I meant as compared to prime lens...

Welcome to the DSLR club. Since you are new, I suggest you experiment with your lens and improve on your framing and eye for details. Leave the limitation aside for the time being.

Technical limitations of this lens will be its not bright enough. I personally use a 17-50 for the past 5-6 years and am happy with it.

hmm meaning? the pic took will underexpose???

spree86 said:
Nope, it means that the aperture does not open up wide enough. "Bright" lenses is another way of saying "fast" lenses, meaning lenses with wide apertures.

How does bright associate to fast ? :O

Haha I think I shall leave it to Rashkae to explain to you why you cannot "want bokeh" :bsmilie:

I still find it hard to use the word "bokeh" correctly. (and at times I still use it incorrectly..)

Aperture is the hole that allows light to enter. So, with a bigger aperture (e.g. f1.2), the hole is bigger. therefore "Brighter"...and also at the same time, it allows more light to enter therefore "Faster"

I strongly recommend a good read at the stickies in the Newbies Corner to get some of the basics right. For a start, try this: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/309544-Photography-Notes-For-Newbies

Last edited:

It's called bright lens because the wider apertures let in more light, similarly the wider aperture also allows faster shutter speeds due to the increased amount of light, therefore fast lens

Haha it means "the quality and characteristics of the OOF areas" it quite confusing at the start

Ya...But to use it in a sentence, abit hard lar. (at least for me).

So, is this liner correct? > "The bokeh of this picture is nice"
I think this one is wrong > "The bokeh created by this lens is worse than the other lens"

Ya...But to use it in a sentence, abit hard lar. (at least for me).

So, is this liner correct? > "The bokeh of this picture is nice"
I think this one is wrong > "The bokeh created by this lens is worse than the other lens"

Haha yup, first one is right, 2nd one I also not sure LOL, seems that the sentence structure works :bsmilie: