Lijiang/Kunming for photoshoot/golf

choocn

Mar 21, 2007
Hi all,

Any photographers out there who are keen golfers or golfers who are keen photographers? Yearning to visit Lijiang/Kunming for photoshoot AND golf but can hardly find anyone who are into both. Might like to plan a trip in Apr/May

Apr/May is late Spring so good time for photography? Temp? Can give an indication of how much it will be & how many days? What are the style of photo shoots available?

May is a good time, but take note that 1st week of may is China's holiday period, things will be more ex then.

Hmm first week of may in china is something i hate... tonnes of people everywhere ...

Thanks for the feedback. Have never been to China but knows that top tourist spots (Beijing, Shanghai, etc.) are pretty crowded. Didn't think that out of the way places like Kunming or Lijiang will be the same. That being the case, when would be the best time to go in terms of crowd and weather?

I'm not into golf but heard of a course in Kunming that has one of the most spectacular views.

Would love to visit Lijiang as well. My friend co-owns a hotel there, let me know if you need info & another has the famous Banyan but it's pricey. Last I asked was 4 figured a night in USD!

There's some nice threads on Lijiang/KM in the landscape section & I'm sure those guys can give better info.

Going china in May? It will be damn crowded.

Furthermore you have to bring lots of equipment: own luggage, Cam equipment, golf bag etc lol

I assume you playing for the full 18 holes

Last edited:
Going china in May? It will be damn crowded.

Furthermore you have to bring lots of equipment: own luggage, Cam equipment, golf bag etc lol

I assume you playing for the full 18 holes

If fly all the way there sure must play min 18 holes and any extra? It's the yr of the Tiger can drink Tiger beer, use Tiger balm, see Tiger show but just don't play play like Tiger W:lovegrin:

I was there last year, in late May09.

I played 3 rounds of golf, 2 at Lijiang and 1 at Kunming. And some touring around in between the rest of the time.

It wasn't so much for photo, but just brought a small Fujifilm camera.

My suggestion is to go there for photo, not only Lijiang, but the entire Yunnan, and not to miss Shangri la and some of the others scenic places. Late May is about the best time.

My suggestion - do read up more.

Last edited:
La Fontaine, did you go on a package(golf+tour) or free and easy? So seems like it either golf or photo, not both together:( I saw a documentary on Lijiang on CNA some years back and was captivated by it's 'Venice' Old Town where the river actually rises (every night?) to wash the town and also cos its on UNESCO's list of heritage sites
NineEleven - thanks for the tip. As far as I know, once you pay for a Banyan Tree hotel room (anywhere in the world), you better in 24/7 to make the most of what you pay for.

keen on Lijiang/Righa/Shangrila/Kunming for phototrip :) When you go golf.. i go spa.. haha. Looking at end Mar/Good Friday weekend.

I am keen too ..... however, found out that SilkAir only flies to Kunming on Tue, Thu and Sun. Got to catch another connecting local flight from Kunming to get to Lijiang. Due to the timing of the connecting flight between Kunming and Lijiang, need to spend the first and last day in Kunming to be able to make the connecting flights to and from Lijiang, which is a chore.

Hence, if you are flying by SilkAir, the minimum number of leave you need to take is 4 days i.e. Tue to Sun or Thu to Tue or Sun to Thu.

So, what is there to do in Kunming besides golf?

Banyan Tree Lijiang is US$500/night but well worth it. The spa massage there is heavenly, chinese food at the restaurant is great, too. And from your villa, you wake up to the view of the snow mountain. And it's also walking distance to Shuhe, the quieter and smaller "ancient town".

Some of my pix here:
http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37029

Thanks for the feedback. Have never been to China but knows that top tourist spots (Beijing, Shanghai, etc.) are pretty crowded. Didn't think that out of the way places like Kunming or Lijiang will be the same. That being the case, when would be the best time to go in terms of crowd and weather?

May all the way to Oct should be fine. Just avoid the holidays. Kunming and Lijiang are the places that the local chinese from the cities will go to. Not sure if Zhang YiMou's 印象丽江performance is still on at the foot of 玉龙雪山。It is very impressive when I caught it years ago with 400 over dancers with the snow mountain as the backdrop. Not to be missed if it is on. I am not sure if there is an internal flight from Kunming to Lijiang. I took the coach and it is a bum breaking journey both ways but can stop at 大理 along the way. 香格里拉 is a must go, clear your lungs of pollution. A lot of landscape opportunities. But beware of altitude sickness at Shangri-la. Someone from my group fell down head first due to lack of oxygen and suffered serious injuries.

Last edited:
Since on photoshoot, dont waste, should travel overland between Kunming and Lijiang ...
Can golf too, but preferred just golf in Kunming and leave golf bag there when you move away from Kunming to Lijiang , Shangri La etc .... few days not a good idea ... more like 10 days ... :)

Hi all,

Any photographers out there who are keen golfers or golfers who are keen photographers? Yearning to visit Lijiang/Kunming for photoshoot AND golf but can hardly find anyone who are into both. Might like to plan a trip in Apr/May

Hi Choocn,

I went there with a group of friends purely for golf late autumn last year, brought along my 5DII with 16-35 and 70-200, never regretted. The golf courses are beautiful and I am sure you would be able to snap alot of nice pics...but take advice you have to be quick on your shots as there may be flights behind you waiting for yours to clear.

I have uploaded some pictures to flickr for you reference:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan6868/

You may wish to bring along a compact camera bag to avoid the bumps on the buggy yet being able to be placed in the small basket within, and make sure you bring along your cleaning kit.

Cheers and have a good trip, you would definitely enjoy the scenery there!