Lightweight Tripods!

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
Hi guys, I am going to UK soon for holiday! I am looking around for a lightweight tripod, as I will also be backpacking around ASEAN with it, which cost around max $350 for the tripod without the ball head as I have a Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead.

Is there any good recommendations around by those frequent gurus who go overseas with their tripods?

sIRUI cf TRIPODS. will fit your budget for light weight

markyen said:
sIRUI cf TRIPODS. will fit your budget for light weight

+1
TS can take a look at sirui at TK foto down at funan.. they have a price list on their Facebook page as well..

+1
TS can take a look at sirui at TK foto down at funan.. they have a price list on their Facebook page as well..
It got one of this brand too.. Good and reasonable price...

If you really want lightweight, you need to lose the manfrotto head.

A sirui CF tripod like T1205x or T1204x weighs only 800g. And a 496rc2 already weights 420g (more than half your tripod!!). Your tripod will be very very top heavy. So you need to consider that.

And the 496's friction knob and main knob are located 180 deg from each other, which will make it impossible for travel tripods to reverse fold properly.

And the 496 is actually a little too big for travel tripods.

It is ok if you do not intend to reverse fold the tripods, and/or if you are willing to go for a larger and heavier tripod.

Last edited:
I got this really light Benro tripod C0190T. Total weight of tripod plus head is 0.91kg. Cost $490. Abit over your budget but I think this is one of the lightest full size tripod around .... great for travelling .. the head is the basic one which is 200g. The tripod is "flat" when retracted (as in the three legs are aligned in a straight line.) So its really compact for travelling. If you add ur manfrotto head, it will be kinda heavy for travelling ....

Hi guys, I am going to UK soon for holiday! I am looking around for a lightweight tripod, as I will also be backpacking around ASEAN with it, which cost around max $350 for the tripod without the ball head as I have a Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead.

How light do you like your tripod to be?
How heavy is your heaviest setup? Camera+lens+etc
How high do you want it to go?

DD123 is right. You have to reconsider your ball head.

You might want to pay a visit to CP, Benro shop, OP, TK, etc... get a good feel of the weight, its function and price.

oceantoofar said:
I got this really light Benro tripod C0190T. Total weight of tripod plus head is 0.91kg. Cost $490. Abit over your budget but I think this is one of the lightest full size tripod around .... great for travelling .. the head is the basic one which is 200g. The tripod is "flat" when retracted (as in the three legs are aligned in a straight line.) So its really compact for travelling. If you add ur manfrotto head, it will be kinda heavy for travelling ....

Manfrotto is really not meant for lightweight traveling

maybe after trying a Sirui T1204x + G10 ballhead, u will change your mind about using your manfrotto ballhead!

maybe after trying a Sirui T1204x + G10 ballhead, u will change your mind about using your manfrotto ballhead!

And after using a Markins or Photo clam ballhead, he will also change his mind about using manfrotto or Sirui G series ball heads. LOL.

And lets not go to RRS... :x

Yup, My ball head is way to heavy too. Guess i got to let it off and change my entire tripod system. My Max gear that I will be fitting on the tripod will be my 7D + 70-200mm f4 IS and a 580exII flash. That total should weight roughly 5kg or less?

So is a sirui tripod able to sustain the weight and make it stable under outdoor condition? thks.

Check out velbon for high quality light weight tripods. I picked one up in the UK a few years back but have noticed them around town recently.

ShiNn said:
Yup, My ball head is way to heavy too. Guess i got to let it off and change my entire tripod system. My Max gear that I will be fitting on the tripod will be my 7D + 70-200mm f4 IS and a 580exII flash. That total should weight roughly 5kg or less?

So is a sirui tripod able to sustain the weight and make it stable under outdoor condition? thks.

Sirui tripod with G head will only weigh abt. 1.1 KG. The lightest u can ever get without compromising performance.

CF tripods in general are pretty lugging friendly. U can consider some of the Velbons as well, a poor man's Gitzo. The legs are bigger in diameter, but with much abuse they still hold up well like the first day.

Ryan

unless talking about heavyweight setup, something like the weifeng/benro actually is sturdy enough and importantly they are weight efficient too. Just take note that if your tripod has those spikes at the feet, its usually destined for the baggage compartment rather then carry on for airlines. Bad news if your flight allows only carry on.

Alright! I have sold the tripod and ballhead. I am now officially in search of a carbon tripod with ball head. Roughly 300+.

Holds, 7D + 70-200mm f4 + 580ex2 flash max.

Alright! I have sold the tripod and ballhead. I am now officially in search of a carbon tripod with ball head. Roughly 300+.

Holds, 7D + 70-200mm f4 + 580ex2 flash max.

Knock yourself out ;)

Pricing
http://www.facebook.com/tkfoto?sk=app_6009294086

Reviews
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/590789-Quick-review-of-Sirui-N-1204-carbon-fibre-travel-tripod
http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26589

thanks for the reviews.:D

i have used both benro and sirui tripods and ballhead. Currently using Surui setup. CF T-2204X + G10. In the past I use a Benro alu A550EX + KB-0A.

IMHO, I do not like the G10 ball head. especially the friction control knob. It is a hassle to use especially travelling in cold countries. The engineering of the clamp and plate is not very arca-swiss compatible, and my L-plate did not fit as well. The sirui 2204 itself is very well made. light and solid. No complains. The bag it comes with is also of good quality.

On the other hand, one of the nut holding my benro tripod leg loosen after some heavy used while I was tracking in Cappadocia. But to give it credit, I used it as a walking stick through snow and slush. The benro ballhead with separate drag adjustment and lock knobs is a lot easier to use especially with glove on.

If you are ever buying a Benro ballhead, get the B series and not the KB. The KB has a spring stopper that is not compatible with other arca swiss plates. Can be remove, but there will be a lobang. Dun look nice.

my 2 cents worth :)

i see the sirui ball heads don't look as sturdy as it seems. Is there any alternative to the ball heads other than using sirui ballhead?