Lightweight & sturdy tripod fro traveling to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
hi everyone,

I wonder how many of you are in the habit of carrying tripods when you travel? I know some don't cos of the weight. I've done some travels and on some days it can be tiring, worse if I carry it the whole day and don't find use for it.

My present tripod+head weighs 1.9kg and the tripod's closed length (without head) is about 50cm . The weight is peanuts back here, but when overseas for a vacation, it can be a burden.

Do you all have any good recommendation for a lightweight but sturdy tripod suited for traveling? My heaviest DSLR gear on the tripod should be about 1.5kg or not more than 2kg. I also prefer one that can close down to 40cm or less. Easier for me to put into my backpack instead of carrying it separately.

Sadly, after some search, I hardly find a tripod that fits my description. Seems like tripods for DSLR have to be rather heavy and long? :(

My budget for the tripod is $500 or less, with or without the head....

Thanks for sharing!

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
Gitzo has it locally.

If you have the opportunity to travel to the US, look for a relatively unknown tripod brand called Prent & Whitehall. They are a small machine company that make some very lightweight, yet sturdy aluminum traveling tripods in small quantity. I have one that weights less than 1.5 kg but able to support bigger DSLR like the D3 or the 1Ds MkIII.

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Depend on your setup and budget

for DSLR setup, use CF tripod + good ballhead
- Tripod : Gitzo . Ballhead : Markins

for P&S setup, use mini tripod
- Tripod : Slik Sprint Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.