shahrecover

Jul 12, 2005
woodlands
janrystar.deviantart.com
just tot of sharing this;

comparison.jpg

care to share the following details?

- distance of flash to subject
- GN set on the flash (not the rate GN but the output GN)
- flash direction
- aperture
- shutter
- ISO setting

Hi there,

Did you bounce off the ceiling or shot directly using the stofen?

it seem to be shot direct.

i have both but would choose the stofen over lightsphere cause more portable.
The lightsphere is way too big.

hazmee said:
Hi there,

Did you bounce off the ceiling or shot directly using the stofen?
More like shoot direct with stofen.

Anyway, lightsphere is great, unless you don't mind:

1. Spend the xtra money to buy a device, which looks like Tupperware, toilet bowl float, Cold Storage milk bottle or whatever to fix on your flash.

2. Getting the funny look from bystanders.

3. Answer silly questions from bystanders.

But most of all, not everyone will appreciate this device until they use it the see the result themselves.

yanyewkay said:
care to share the following details?

- distance of flash to subject
- GN set on the flash (not the rate GN but the output GN)
- flash direction
- aperture
- shutter
- ISO setting
Shooting Mode
Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
50.0 mm
Focal Length
50.0 mm
Flash Type
External E-TTL

using a canon 580-ex and the flash was 90degrees upwards with lightsphere and 45degrees with stofen.

catchlights said:
More like shoot direct with stofen.

Anyway, lightsphere is great, unless you don't mind:

1. Spend the xtra money to buy a device, which looks like Tupperware, toilet bowl float, Cold Storage milk bottle or whatever to fix on your flash.

2. Getting the funny look from bystanders.

3. Answer silly questions from bystanders.

But most of all, not everyone will appreciate this device until they use it the see the result themselves.

Hehehe. Thanks for the tips! BTW, do you own one (the lightsphere)? I'd like to try. I've seen the videos by Gary Fong and the results are rather interesting.

I made my own lightsphere some time ago out of my mum's old tupperware stuff and it looks really horrible. I had to throw it away. Can't bring my umbrellas everywhere i go if not my shoulders would just give way. I am really looking for some reliable and portable lighting stuff.

Cheers

shahrecover said:
using a canon 580-ex and the flash was 90degrees upwards with lightsphere and 45degrees with stofen.

Hi Shahrecover,

You should try both at 90 degrees to give a more 'fair' comparison. Cheers!

hazmee said:
Hehehe. Thanks for the tips! BTW, do you own one (the lightsphere)? I'd like to try. I've seen the videos by Gary Fong and the results are rather interesting.

I made my own lightsphere some time ago out of my mum's old tupperware stuff and it looks really horrible. I had to throw it away. Can't bring my umbrellas everywhere i go if not my shoulders would just give way. I am really looking for some reliable and portable lighting stuff.

Cheers
Lightsphere is basically design to use on hotshoe flash, if I bring portable lighting system (Metz 45 and 60), I would prefer to use umbrellas.

hazmee said:
Hi Shahrecover,

You should try both at 90 degrees to give a more 'fair' comparison. Cheers!
Aim at 45 degrees is the "correct way" to use the onmibouce/stofen.

I find not worth my time to DIY a similar device, and it doesn’t not save money much for doing so, just buy and use it make more sense to me.

hazmee said:

Cheers

What looked horrible? Your mum's tupperware or the photos that came out of it?

catchlights said:
Lightsphere is basically design to use on hotshoe flash, if I bring portable lighting system (Metz 45 and 60), I would prefer to use umbrellas.

Aim at 45 degrees is the "correct way" to use the onmibouce/stofen.

I find not worth my time to DIY a similar device, and it doesn’t not save money much for doing so, just buy and use it make more sense to me.

I share the same sentiments too. But sometimes, when i m feeling experimental, even paper plates and mirrors can be used as a light bounce. Anyway, the "correct way" as stated in the manual really gives crap lighting especially indoors.

ob1canob said:
What looked horrible? Your mum's tupperware or the photos that came out of it?
Both. Firstly, the 580EX even at full power isnt strong enough to light the subject(e.g taking potraits indoors) but it works really nice when used very close, about 1-2 feet away from the subjects face. Oh well... time to look for better lighting equipment. Secondly, its quite a large tupperware, about 1 feet in diameter, and it looks someone left the tupperware hanging on the tripod.

hazmee said:
Both. Firstly, the 580EX even at full power isnt strong enough to light the subject(e.g taking potraits indoors) but it works really nice when used very close, about 1-2 feet away from the subjects face. Oh well... time to look for better lighting equipment.

I regularly shoot with 580EX providing the main source of lighting to subjects 10-20m away and get properly exposed shots.

what sort of settings are you using? increasing the ISO and using wider aperture will improve the flash range.

mpenza said:
I regularly shoot with 580EX providing the main source of lighting to subjects 10-20m away and get properly exposed shots.

what sort of settings are you using? increasing the ISO and using wider aperture will improve the flash range.

I thought of that too. I'm shooting at ISO400, F4.0, 1/50s and still the picture came out rather dark. I probably think its the tupperware material diffusing much of the light. I am hoping someone here would be kind enough to do a live demonstration on the lightsphere.

oh... using tupperware. tupperware is pretty good quality and thick material and would cut off too much light. the Lightshpere is quite a lot thinner.

the shots I mentioned are with the flash straight on. when I use the Lightsphere, I'm usually within 5m from my subject and use aperture priority when the lighting is good and manual when the lighting is bad.

knoxknocks said:
i'd be keen to know how a humble bounce card compares..;)

When shooting indoors, a white card will give you similiar results to the stofen omnibounce, if not slightly better.

mpenza said:
oh... using tupperware. tupperware is pretty good quality and thick material and would cut off too much light. the Lightshpere is quite a lot thinner.

the shots I mentioned are with the flash straight on. when I use the Lightsphere, I'm usually within 5m from my subject and use aperture priority when the lighting is good and manual when the lighting is bad.
Ah damn. You have the lightsphere! How much did you pay for it including shipping? Or is there some local stores that brings it in?

hazmee said:
When shooting indoors, a white card will give you similiar results to the stofen omnibounce, if not slightly better.

Dunno if it's just me, but I find the bounce card a lot better than omnibounce. I'd be keen to try the lightsphere as well! :)

knoxknocks said:
Dunno if it's just me, but I find the bounce card a lot better than omnibounce. I'd be keen to try the lightsphere as well! :)
I personally think the white card is good too. But from my experiences with the omnibounce, i get even exposure when shooting groups.

hazmee said:
Ah damn. You have the lightsphere! How much did you pay for it including shipping? Or is there some local stores that brings it in?

got it from the clubsnapper that brings it in. he's (weekh) still selling if I'm not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.