Lightsphere vs Stofen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find a bounce card works better than a omnibounce at times too, esp for outdoors. Omnibounce practically does nothing when used outdoors. Lightsphere on the other hand performs pretty well for both in and outdoor situations. One major con is that its actually pertty heavy. At times when shooting in portrait mode, the flash head cannot take the weight of the LS vertically and will swing down.

If I have to choose between a omnibounce and a bounce cards (4’”x6”), I’ll take bounce card. But if I’m shooting in a small area with low ceiling, like HDB living room, I just aim the flash head up and use the catchlight bounce card.

Not all device produce the same result, it also depend on your shoot style, and taste.

As for lightsphere, not everyone will like to use it for many reasons, but for me, I prefer to use it, and should get another one for backup.

Btw, thanks shahrecover for sharing his finding.

Splutter said:
I find a bounce card works better than a omnibounce at times too, esp for outdoors. Omnibounce practically does nothing when used outdoors. Lightsphere on the other hand performs pretty well for both in and outdoor situations. One major con is that its actually pertty heavy. At times when shooting in portrait mode, the flash head cannot take the weight of the LS vertically and will swing down.
You have the LightSphere too??

catchlights said:
Maybe you and Splutter should use Nikon, SB800 are more rugged.:bsmilie:

u sure abt the ruggedness? ;p 580EX could take the weight of the Lightsphere well :)

catchlights, i dun think the sb800 can take the weight of the lightsphere when its tilted upwards shooting in portrait mode too leh, hehez. Esp when I find it's optimum to tilt it slightly forward instead of pointing upwards like what the instructions said.

hmmm...just use a translucent plastic bag and a rubber band, at time a piece of tissue will do the job.

This is no foolproof thing, after using for a while, you'll know which way will produce the result you're looking for, it also change my shooting style a bit.

catchlights said:
If I have to choose between a omnibounce and a bounce cards (4’”x6”), I’ll take bounce card. But if I’m shooting in a small area with low ceiling, like HDB living room, I just aim the flash head up and use the catchlight bounce card.

Not all device produce the same result, it also depend on your shoot style, and taste.

As for lightsphere, not everyone will like to use it for many reasons, but for me, I prefer to use it, and should get another one for backup.

Btw, thanks shahrecover for sharing his finding.

Cheers!;)
i'm still new and learning, so sharing benefits me in learning.

The most significant problem with the test is that the two shots are not the same.... the composition has changed and that changes also the light that is captured on the sensor... the camera should be mounted on a tripod and then take the shots... it would be a better test of the lighting characteristics of the Omnibounce and LightSphere. In addition, it would be better to use a human subject... can use yourself lor...

Otherwise the Lightsphere is probably better cos it has thinner material... the Omnibounce has very thick plastic so it cuts a lot of light off... about 2-3 stops... I prefer the bounce card as it can deflect frontal light to fill in the shadows...

Status
Not open for further replies.