lightsphere question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

Seeking some help from ppl out here regarding using the lightsphere.
Viewing the video, I remembered that Gary Fong suggested putting on the wide angle diffuser before putting on the lightsphere itself to enable wider projection of light so as to fill up the entire sphere before diffusion.

Question is: if i am using the flash with auto zoom, then the flash is stucked at the wide angle?

Anyone can share some thoughts here?

Thanks in advance

Regards.
tltan

hi, normally with the wide angle diffuser on, the flash head will be pointing straight up to light up the surrounding radius. IMO it wun affect the pictures.

but i dun shoot with the wide angle diffuser on with my LS

I also don't use the wide-angle diffuser when shooting with my LS. The wide-angle diffuser is usually used pointed direct when using a lens below 24mm on 35mm equivalent. Meaning ultra-wide lenses.

I nvr use the wide angle diffuser for my LS.

thanks for all the replies. Because, I saw from his video that using the wide angle diffuser will effectively disperse the light to the entire LS and then be diffused out.

Regards,
tltan

I don't use the WA diffuser on my LS either. I guess if you want more light to be diffused out from the LS then the WA diffuser might help. But that would also mean less light gets bounced off the ceiling. From my (unscientific) tests with various diffusers and bounce card designs, the softest lighting still comes from the largest light source and light bouncing off the ceiling. A large light source with less light off the ceiling (from my custom curved bounce card which directs more light forward rather than up) actually still casts noticeable shadows. Just my $0.02.

I just bought a clear LS, so do I point the LS upwards if shoot indoor, regardless of portraits or family photos ??? How abt shoot outdoor ? do i point direct to the subject ???

Point up for indoor shots.

Can buy LS at Cathay right?
Video included?

I just bought a clear LS, so do I point the LS upwards if shoot indoor, regardless of portraits or family photos ??? How abt shoot outdoor ? do i point direct to the subject ???

Yes outdoor point directly at yr subject.

i got both...the clear one after sometimes also become fog...use the clear one for wider angle diffuser...the fog one direct frontal shots.

Yes if u slot out the plastic to get a 17mm wide, u cannot AF anymore...its a technique used to bounce your light off the ceiling illuminating everywhere. Unless your flash is very strong, I wouldn't try it in a ballroom without a ISO 800. But if u are not in a ballroom environment, u don't need to use the wide diffuser also.;)

i got both...the clear one after sometimes also become fog...use the clear one for wider angle diffuser...the fog one direct frontal shots.

Yes if u slot out the plastic to get a 17mm wide, u cannot AF anymore...its a technique used to bounce your light off the ceiling illuminating everywhere. Unless your flash is very strong, I wouldn't try it in a ballroom without a ISO 800. But if u are not in a ballroom environment, u don't need to use the wide diffuser also.;)

thanks for explaining:thumbsup:

anytime...:)

i personally find it a bit big to stuffed into my shoulder bag and besides the price, it really works!

Status
Not open for further replies.