LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System

Status
Not open for further replies.

TITANIUMLEE

Feb 2, 2004
Hi all

I am curious about LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System that sell at Cathay Photo. It is really very good as it can take studio effect photo without a studio. Anyone have this n can share the photos that using LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System on ur flash. Thank alot.

TITANIUMLEE said:
Hi all

I am curious about LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System that sell at Cathay Photo. It is really very good as it can take studio effect photo without a studio. Anyone have this n can share the photos that using LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System on ur flash. Thank alot.

Can never reach studio effect..

I own and used the light sphere and i'm also into studio lighting.

The answer is No, The light sphere does not create studio light effects.

Lightsphere is usedful where by you don't have a used a bounce card to create those natural lighting effect.

Its useful in event shooting.

I agree that LightSphere cannot give studio effect.
Cheapest way to get studio effect is to fire the flash thru a translucent umbrella.
Almost like using studio strobes! Rich colours and perfect exposures!
But of course you'll look like a clown if you use it at events :bsmilie:

I am contemplating one for my Nikon D70s system. Have been reading up abt it. Can anyone care to share what are the benefits of having one?

As mentojed befoer it helps soften the light from a direct lfash making it look more 3/D and useful in situations where the celing is too high or you just want the pic to look more 'natural' You can even DIY your own if you have the time.

If used incorrectly, LS can cause the flash head to spoil due to its weight. Also, it has a tendency to warp under extreme heat, warp over long usage, and fall off quite easily (embarrassing). So, if u get one, pls understand the problems owning one - esp how to avoid causing damage to your clicking flash head. To some, downtime means $ and missed opportunities.

Otherwise, it is lovely to use for better skin tones during night/day photography.

Just sharing my tots here and I hope i am wrong.

contaxable said:
If used incorrectly, LS can cause the flash head to spoil due to its weight. Also, it has a tendency to warp under extreme heat, warp over long usage, and fall off quite easily (embarrassing). So, if u get one, pls understand the problems owning one - esp how to avoid causing damage to your clicking flash head. To some, downtime means $ and missed opportunities.

Otherwise, it is lovely to use for better skin tones during night/day photography.

Have been contemplating this between a stofen omnibounce and Lumiquest softbox 2 ....

I don't think the lightsphere is that heavy... :dunno: ... but yes, i might believe that it might warp under heat due to the flash bursts but then how true is it?

dEthANGeL said:
Have been contemplating this between a stofen omnibounce and Lumiquest softbox 2 ....

I don't think the lightsphere is that heavy... :dunno: ... but yes, i might believe that it might warp under heat due to the flash bursts but then how true is it?

It is heavy for the flash head...but lighting is more natural, and slightly warmer compared to the supplied sb800 diffuser.

dEthANGeL said:

I tot u using Mertz?

CreaXion said:
I tot u using Mertz?

Yup .. i'm a metz user...

iamdruglord:

I see.. thanks for the insight.

westwest1:

yup .. i was with yilishengxian later hmm .. didn't really notice him using the lightsphere.

dEthANGeL said:
Yup .. i'm a metz user...

iamdruglord:

I see.. thanks for the insight.

Then why the LS2 for what? I tot your flash shd be able to flood the place what?

CreaXion said:
Then why the LS2 for what? I tot your flash shd be able to flood the place what?

:cool: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'm not using 60-CT4 leh friend! :p

I had quite a few washed out shots... still mastering the flash :confused:

Notice peeps using the stofen / lightsphere seem to be getting good results

dEthANGeL said:

bro

Try mounting this on an sb800 or 580ex and u might understand what i mean. Tilt it over 45 or 60deg up, shake a little and it will click its way down due to its weight. Do that for 300 times and u might have a mr yes flash head whenever u tilt it (ie koyak). However, when i straighten it to 180deg or bend it to 90deg, it stays and does not click further since it has a locking mechanism. For flash units with stiffer tilt mechanism, it should not be a real concern. If i am not wrong, certain metz units are built quite solid.

contaxable said:
If used incorrectly, LS can cause the flash head to spoil due to its weight. Also, it has a tendency to warp under extreme heat, warp over long usage, and fall off quite easily (embarrassing).
need to address some points which i believe is misleading to non-owners and non-users.

contaxable said:
If used incorrectly, LS can cause the flash head to spoil due to its weight..

LightSphere PhotoJournalist2 which is used by many photographers nowadays, is the more popular model.

it is light and made of plastic. so, if it can damage ur flashgun, ur flashgun mux be made of snow. even for the older version, it would be really incredible if it somehow spoils ur flashgun. haha

contaxable said:
Also, it has a tendency to warp under extreme heat, warp over long usage, and fall off quite easily (embarrassing)...

after long usages in many events... hmmm.. i'm most amazed that my LSPJ2 is still in its original shape! i mux be doing something drastically wrong that it doesn't warp!

i owned the original Lightsphere ever since it became available in CS from Weekh. it is still in its original shape. i'm so upset.

i've owned the LSPJ2 ever since it first became available. voila! it is still in good shape despite countless usages! wow! it mux be a defect.

the LSPJ2 is fantastic. get one today. :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
need to address some points which i believe is misleading to non-owners and non-users.

LightSphere PhotoJournalist2 which is used by many photographers nowadays, is the more popular model.

it is light and made of plastic. so, if it can damage ur flashgun, ur flashgun mux be made of snow. even for the older version, it would be really incredible if it somehow spoils ur flashgun. haha

after long usages in many events... hmmm.. i'm most amazed that my LSPJ2 is still in its original shape! i mux be doing something drastically wrong that it doesn't warp!

i owned the original Lightsphere ever since it became available in CS from Weekh. it is still in its original shape. i'm so upset.

i've owned the LSPJ2 ever since it first became available. voila! it is still in good shape despite countless usages! wow! it mux be a defect.

the LSPJ2 is fantastic. get one today. :thumbsup:

Cheese, sound like Salesman sia. :) Just joking. Cheese, will take your recommendation.

I'd rather save the $80+ and DIY. Since i get acceptable results from my set-up and dont shoot events all that often.

CreaXion said:
Cheese, sound like Salesman sia. :) Just joking. Cheese, will take your recommendation.

u can trust my words. i've tried many many different types of diffusers in the past. watever u name, i bet i've tried them all.

LightSphere original and photojournalist2 is the :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

S$89/. will be ur best ever flash accessories purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.