Lightsphere II diffuser tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

nature

Jan 13, 2005
some people in this forum may have bought the diffuser from Gary Fong.
i'm clueless about flash photography and would like to know what settings(aperture/shutter/mode) would be best to use with this diffuser to achieve optimum results?
care to share some tips? eg, when shooting indoors and outdoors.
thanks.

no one is using this diffuser?

hey actually i wantto buy this diffuser...is there any onsale in sunny spore?

Currently, the lightsphere isn't sold in singapore, so you have to get it online, or join the recent MO by weekh. It's abt $75 if I'm not wrong.

There is no fixed settings to use a diffuser. Generally, you would try to let in more ambient light as possible to make the picture more natural, and also allow a softer transistion from the flashed subject to the background. For instance, I always shoot in manual mode if I'm using flash. Usually for indoors, its iso 400-1600, depending on situation, and of coz how good your camera's noise-control is. For wide angle shots, shutter speed can even go down to 1/4s and pics should remain relatively sharp and very evenly exposed if using a bounced flash. All in all, there are no actual settings to follow. But as a general guideline, I prefer to underexpose the background by about 1 stop and let the flash do the rest of the job.

there's nothing to set on the flash (at least for most flashes) when putting on any diffusers. If your flash comes with a light sensor it will compensate and fire a stronger flash to overcome the diffuser. But the peak output will be decrease by several GNs.

Got to check the manuals and take note of this and probably adjust your aperture accordingly.

there's nothing to set on the flash (at least for most flashes) when putting on any diffusers. If your flash comes with a light sensor it will compensate and fire a stronger flash to overcome the diffuser. But the peak output will be decrease by several GNs.
I'll beg to differ in the case of the LSII... unlike the omnibounce, the LSII does not disable the zoom mode for your flash when you zoom your lens... IIRC, the little 'button' at the bottom of the flash is not depressed when you put the LSII on...

ParkertR said:
I'll beg to differ in the case of the LSII... unlike the omnibounce, the LSII does not disable the zoom mode for your flash when you zoom your lens... IIRC, the little 'button' at the bottom of the flash is not depressed when you put the LSII on...

Hmm. Actually (in my case), the wide angle flash switch can be depressed if I push the LSII all the way in.

Which leads to this question. Should the wide angle mode be activated?

ParkertR said:
mm.. you refering to the SB800? I was just refering to flashes in general. With no particular brand in mind. :D

i'm using sb800, what setting do you all normally use?
eg, indoor shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.