lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjaykay

Feb 4, 2009
3251001642_9b92814617_b.jpg

Taken with 450D/18-55 IS kit lens at 18mm, f3.5, 1/30, ISO 200, handheld.
Slight adjustment to brightness PP on PS.

Was mainly trying to capture the effects of the 2 light sources in the dark. i kinda like the way the lamp provides a soft illumination, but a little disappointed at the lack of sharpness (esp at 100%).

Also, i think the background is a little OOF (as opposed to bokeh). i'm thinking camera shake =(

Short of getting a tripod, i'm wondering if there's any PP which can be done to sharpen the picture? actually, most of pictures i take seem to lack the kind of sharpness of many pictures shared - is there some PP which can be done to improve this? or am i just being paranoid...

also, any general C&C on the composition and lighting will be much appreciated!

I don't see the point of this shot, or any story... I just see what I would consider a snapshot to test a lens, then delete the pic.

I need to try very hard to understand the picture... Shoot more... I don't know what to critic.... Shoot more.... please....

Cheers...

Last edited:
i can see what you are trying to produce, but i think you fall flat on that, its a good concept, bad execution.

can see that its hand held cos the bokeh have a fringe, like having astigmatism.

what i can say is, make it less complicated to start with, and minimize on the tilt, get the basics right before attempting to go further. take note of the things you put in the picture, if its not needed for the story, then just remove it, the christmas tree don't fit a wedding theme.

the lighting need more improvement, for eg, your digital fotoframe's border is darkened purposely, hence your glass table top blends with the fotoframe cos there is no light to reflect the surface, and if you light up the frame, then there will be reflection on the frame and cause the picture to be less visible. So if the table is the issue, change the table, else use a white cloth or sheet to place on the bottom to reflect the table light back. it will also reduce the unsightly reflection of the table lamp.

honestly speaking, i wasn't really going out to tell a story with the picture, rather just trying to play with the lights etc, so i guess 'testshot' isn't really that far off? but i'll take note of that in future shoots! a picture paints a thousand words right?

and yes, agree that some elements are out of place. was trying to go for a christmas theme, but just didn't seem to have a nice xmas picture to display... and since i got married somewhat nearish x'mas, thought it would count(?) but yes, i guess that isn't something people other than myself will know...

thanks anyway for the comments all! will keep trying to improve on technique!

honestly speaking, i wasn't really going out to tell a story with the picture, rather just trying to play with the lights etc, so i guess 'testshot' isn't really that far off? but i'll take note of that in future shoots! a picture paints a thousand words right?

hmm, i suppose, this is kinda insulting to ppl giving critiques...

Critique Corner Post your image in here to get serious and honest feedback from fellow photographers. Please read FAQ before posting.

perhaps, this will set precedence to future threads that i'm going to approve.

Status
Not open for further replies.