Lights on, Lights off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo

Sep 1, 2004
Blue/Green Planet
Hi all,

When doing a studio shoot; once you have your flashes positioned to give the desired light/shaddow for what you are taking and....

Lets say with room lights on and maybe an open window.

If you have set your CWB to the flashes.

Do you close the window and turn off the room lights before the shot.

Not so much as to reduce the influence of the added light; rather than to avoid the colour it will effect of the CWB.

Or, do you leave the other light influence as is and post process it out ?

I hope this question makes some sense :)

I think it depends on your settings. The room light wouldn't factor in much if say you were using high strobe output with settings of like f8 and 1/250. If you were using settings of f2.8 and 1/80(low strobe output) the room light would probably affect your output.

The other thing to consider is potential glare from the window or lights if they are in front of the lens.

i would close the window to cut out the unwanted ambience lighting. instead of sitting in front of the pc to remove it.

reachme2003 said:
i would close the window to cut out the unwanted ambience lighting. instead of sitting in front of the pc to remove it.
yup, either that or u can start playing with gels to balance the strobe color and ambient color.

to play with gels and to do it accurately, one would need a colour temp meter.

Clown said:
yup, either that or u can start playing with gels to balance the strobe color and ambient color.

reachme2003 said:
to play with gels and to do it accurately, one would need a colour temp meter.
well if you want it to be THAT accurate then i'll say yea u should invest in a color meter.
but for me, as long as the shot turns out nice, or similar to whatever image i have in my head already, it's good enough.

Pablo said:
Hi all,

When doing a studio shoot; once you have your flashes positioned to give the desired light/shaddow for what you are taking and....

Lets say with room lights on and maybe an open window.

Not so much as to reduce the influence of the added light; rather than to avoid the colour it will effect of the CWB.

Flash exposure is greatly determined by the power of the flash and the aperture you're using. If the shutter speed and the aperture combination on the camera allows the ambient light to give substantial exposure, then it will affect the picture. To get full control, it is best to keep ambient light out of it totally.

Pablo said:

since you have set your WB to flash, the additional light should not change your setting
unless it is still set to Auto WB.

But if the additional lights are interfeering with your setup then switch it off and close the window

ortega said:
since you have set your WB to flash, the additional light should not change your setting
unless it is still set to Auto WB.

But if the additional lights are interfeering with your setup then switch it off and close the window

Thank you ortega for your reply.

Thanks to everyone else for their replies.

If someone has more to contribute I would be interested to know.

Cheers all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.