Lightroom technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staphylococcus

Apr 28, 2004
Hi all,

I've got Lightroom installed as a replacement for Photoshop Album but I find that LR functions are less user-friendly compared to Album. Either that or my workflow is wrong.

For instance, in Album I can just right-click on an image I want and select copy, then paste it in any folder that I want. In LR, right-clicking doesn't give me that option. Instead, I must use the File>Export... then go through all the options before I can send it to the folder I want. Does 'exporting' mean 'moving' or 'copying'? So tedious. Is there a better way of doing this?

Is there a way to view recently imported photos in full screen mode slideshow?

LR sometimes recognizes image scans based on their dates but sometimes this dates are wrong. Is there a way to change how LR recognizes these dates?

Thanks for answering.

I believe both programs are used for different purposes...
Lightroom was created for the professional event photographer kind who has to process many photos at once, hence, the workflow is different. It allows much faster editing of photos in bulk.
Programs like photoshop are created to allow the user to edit one photo at a time, giving more power in doing so also.

Just my few cents worth. I guess it all boils down to using different programs for different needs.

Hi all,

I've got Lightroom installed as a replacement for Photoshop Album but I find that LR functions are less user-friendly compared to Album. Either that or my workflow is wrong.

For instance, in Album I can just right-click on an image I want and select copy, then paste it in any folder that I want. In LR, right-clicking doesn't give me that option. Instead, I must use the File>Export... then go through all the options before I can send it to the folder I want. Does 'exporting' mean 'moving' or 'copying'? So tedious. Is there a better way of doing this?

LR sometimes recognizes image scans based on their dates but sometimes this dates are wrong. Is there a way to change how LR recognizes these dates?

Thanks for answering.

i have never used before photoshop album,does it also allows for processing raw files and adjustments like lightroom?

I guess the plus point for LR is the ability to process RAW images. Well, looks like I've to use it more often to discover its 'hidden' power!

You might want to consider getting "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby. An easy to follow book.

LR and Photoshop Album work quite differently... Photoshop Album is a simple viewing software while LR is a sophisticated software to adjust your RAW and jpeg files and to manage your files (metadata, keywording etc etc.)

LR maintains a catalogue or database of your pics, as such it does not like to have the same pic twice and it does not think it is needed. You can easily move pics within LR from one folder to the next. So moving is done within LR, copy of a file / duplicate a file is not allowed (database problem). However, if you want to duplicate the file to make different adjustments (BW for example) then LR allows you to create virtual copies of one file. This way you can have different version of one photo without duplicating the photo. This is much more elegant and saves HD space.
if you need to duplicate a photo cause you want to send it to someone then usually you would downsize it as well... so export it the way to go.
Also LR saves all adjustments made to the photo in the database or a separate file (xmp file). so you need to export the file to make the changes permanent.

yes, just go fullscreen and select last imported....

you can change dates in LR

i strongly suggest you read the manual and then get one of the excellent books or view the tutorials available through podcast (search for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom in iTunes)

May i know if LR supports Canon 40D raw files already?

Recently attended a seminar, but the salegirl was unable to answer this question.

thanks

I've got Lightroom installed as a replacement for Photoshop Album

It's a bad replacement to me but the built in left right levels are easy for generating spectacular images. It allowed me to generate this in 5 mins http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pano/fullscreens/24apr07_cs3lightroomNN/lrm_cs3.html

none light room version > http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pano/fullscreens/21apr07_suntecmillenia/mt/mt.html

The bad thing about it as a replacement to album is it doesn't read off network-ed drives. That's very bad to me. why can't it?! it knows when it's using mapped network drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.