Lightroom synchronising question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
If more than 1 person is processing a same set of photos, is it possible to process with 2 lightroom?

In this case, I want to select the photos to be processed, then pass to the other person whom will return me the processed photos with whatever addition tags that are added. how to synchronise the adjustments and flags..etc. after the respective adjustment.

If more than 1 person is processing a same set of photos, is it possible to process with 2 lightroom?

In this case, I want to select the photos to be processed, then pass to the other person whom will return me the processed photos with whatever addition tags that are added. how to synchronise the adjustments and flags..etc. after the respective adjustment.

I don't think that is possible as LR saves the changes in a database that is local to your PC and not on the photo(file). The changes becomes part of the photo only when you export it.
So in your case you will have to ask the person who is making the changes to the photo to export it after he is done with it and then you will have to import that again on your PC as a different file.
( I do not know if there is any way to share the LR DB between different hosts . In my knowledge it is only a single user application.)

One option would be to use catalogs.
You can export a group of pictures as a catalog and import that catalog on the other computer. This includes all the made changes.
I use this to transport between my laptop and my home pc.

pretty simple:
Option A:
1) you start pp on RAW files
2) write adjustments into *.xmp side car file
3) pass RAW files and side car files to the other person
4) other person imports the RAW and sidecar files into LR
5) other person does more adjustments
6) other person gives you back the sidecar files without RAW files
7) import the sidecar files in your LR
8) from now on you just need to exchange sidecar files

Option B (lots of RAW files)
1) you start pp on RAW files
2) export selected files into a catalogue
3) pass catalogue to the other person
4) adjustments export again into catalogue and pass back

you can activate the .xmp sidecar file under the catalog settings inside lightroom preferences.
as for dealing with multiple 'editions', just save the change as a snapshot or a preset so u can jump between various sets of changes instantly.

thanks everyone for the tips... will try them out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.