Lightroom Resolution Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishbrade

May 31, 2007
Singapore
Hi guys. Under the export feature of Lightroom, we are allowed to key in the resolution of the picture to be exported. You can key in the number of ppi you wish the jpg file to be exported.

Capture.jpg

I've tried exporting it in 300ppi and 2000ppi but cant seem to tell the difference when the exported jpgs are blown up to 100%. Would anyone know how this feature works and what it is used for?

Thanks guys!

I believe the number of pixels in the picture stays the same unless you resize the picture, hence the resolution will not affect viewing on screen.

PPI may come into play when considering print sizes, as a certain resolution of about 200-300 PPI is required for a reasonably sharp looking print.

Correct. Aside from that: your screen has either a resolution of 72 or 96 ppi, so you won't be able to see the difference between 300 and 2000 on your screen anyway, until you zoom in more than 100%.

Thanks for the tips guys. But going by the logic, if I am planning to print a large print, I should really ram up the ppi to 2000? That would be better than setting it at 300ppi? Shouldn't the ppi be determined by the mega pixels my camera has?

OK, my predicament is that I am using a 10mp cam, and the pic I want to print is almost uncropped. If I want a pic print of 24*12" how many ppi should I set it at? Im thinking of a canvas print.

And also, if I were to send the file to the printers, should I bring a jpg file or a tiff file?

Need some help bros.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. But going by the logic, if I am planning to print a large print, I should really ram up the ppi to 2000? That would be better than setting it at 300ppi? Shouldn't the ppi be determined by the mega pixels my camera has?

OK, my predicament is that I am using a 10mp cam, and the pic I want to print is almost uncropped. If I want a pic print of 24*12" how many ppi should I set it at? Im thinking of a canvas print.

And also, if I were to send the file to the printers, should I bring a jpg file or a tiff file?

Need some help bros.

from what i know 300 is the limit that the eye can see anything higher and its over kill. 2000 then your image is gonna be huge!

Set to 300ppi and output to 24x12". Bring both JPG (highest quality possible) and TIFF. In the future, just keep ppi to 300 as its the industry standard, and output to ur desired dimensions.

Set to 300ppi and output to 24x12". Bring both JPG (highest quality possible) and TIFF. In the future, just keep ppi to 300 as its the industry standard, and output to ur desired dimensions.

Got it. Thanks very much!!!

the ppi setting is purely for exif purposes and has no influence on the picture UNLESS you tick the resize to fit check box AND change from pixels to cm or inch. if you do that then LR will resize the picture to those settings.
If you leave the file size at pixels then ppi has again no influence, you control the size of the file directly with the number of pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.