LR Tips Lightroom Q&A

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
qa_lab.jpg
I figured I’d catch up on some Q&A’s today as well as going back to some old ones that I was asked again recently.
Also, don’t forget, if you’re in Tampa I’m teaching a Lightroom/Photoshop Workflow class at Dave Cross Workshop’s next week. Sign up here.
And I’m taking the Lightroom 3 Seminar Tour to Phoenix and Indianapolis in late October. You can find out more about the full-day seminar and sign up here.
Q. I watched your eyeglass reflection video the other day. Would onOne Software’s Perfect Layers do the same thing.
A. Almost. Perfect Layers doesn’t have the Auto-Align feature that Photoshop has, but as I mentioned in the video, that feature doesn’t always do the trick and I end up resorting to changing the blend mode or opacity of the layer anyway.
Q. I use Photoshop Elements 9 in combination with Lightroom 3. Do you know why it’s not possible to open images as layers in Elements 9 (Photo > Edit In > Open as Layers in…)?
A. I really don’t know “why” you can’t do it with Elements other than you simply can’t. However, the workaround is to open one photo in Elements, then open the 2nd one and put them into the same document manually. It’ll take an extra 20 seconds but you can definitely get to the same place without that feature.
Q. How can I save my print templates to a JPEG like you did in your multi-photo print preset?
A. In the Print module, scroll down on the right hand side panels to the last one (the Print Job panel). The first setting is called “Print To”. Just turn it to the JPEG option and you’ll save your layout as a JPEG instead of sending it to the printer.
Q. I really like the look of that multi-photo grid preset you released a while back. But how do I get my photos in to it?
A. Just drag photos from the filmstrip into a grid square. Once they’re there, you can reposition how the photo looks in that square by holding down the Command (PC: Ctrl) key and clicking on the photo to drag it around.
Q. If I store my photos on an external drive, does the speed of my external drive affect Lightroom’s performance?
A. Definitely! There’s still lots of information being read back and forth between those photos and the speed will affect how fast Lightroom feels. From what I’ve found, a 5400 RPM drive would fairly slow. A 7200 is better. USB is going to be mostly bad and Firewire will of course be better.
Q. So Matt, knowing what you just said about storing your photos on an external drive, what do you do?
A. OK, I really asked myself this question
icon_smile.gif
I store all of my photos (not my catalog) on a Lacie 1TB external 5400 RPM Firewire drive. It does feel sluggish sometimes but for the most part things move along pretty quickly.
Thanks for all the questions. I hope this helped a little. Have a great weekend!

i2rLMj1n-I0

More...

still need to know more about lightroom.For what I know every photographer use CS photoshop cos it has more function.

Some uses both in combination, such as me. I have several plugins in PS such as Portraiture, Nik Filters etc. I also more drastic manipulation in CS. But for fast and ease of manipulation, Lightroom excel. It is in my opinion much more easier to achieve exposure changes, white balance changes, highlight recovery, hue changes etc.. all in the same interface without bringing up dialog boxes and see how they affect my photo with such sliders changes. That's a much faster workflow and have better correlation to your mind and eyes because you see changes happening fast and to the point without much distraction from menus and dialogs. Lightroom also offers a more superior photos management workflow that you can find in other similar product ors such as Apple Aperture, but definitely not in PS directly. Though you can find in Adobe CS, there is the bridge functionality, but i don't use it because I prefer what LS offers.

For your info, I jump between DxO, LS, PS very frequently to have the best tool for the photo. Now that I'm on Apple Mac OS 10.7 Lion, I can no longer use Nikon Capture NX 2 unless 3 is out, but still I import my RAWs using LS, edit as 16bits TIFF using PS. Or sometimes if I need the superior distortion offered by DxO, I also import using LS, retain the RAW, let DxO manipulate the pic, then LS update sync to see if new photos are created at times in my workflow and continue with the cropping and rotation and so forth using LS which is a lot more convenient versus PS.

still need to know more about lightroom.For what I know every photographer use CS photoshop cos it has more function.

But then Lightroom use only for adjusting the colour not editing.

So what's your point ? If today your response of "editing" is merely just trying to define its scope, then based on what is described in the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editing, I see editing totally supersede the process of adjusting colour. In either case, you either come around the topic that adjusting of colour is editing, or stick with your understanding and we stop it right here, because we are not in the same wavelength.

If you so happened to wanna understand what is Lightroom and what it is capable of, I will be more than glad to give you some workflows on how I use Lightroom and you find a way to fit that into your own workflow.

Before I indulge into what Lightroom has to offer, we discuss in a much bigger picture. Both Lightroom and Photoshop are high end raster or bitmap manipulation tools used by creative designers all over the world. From a business stand point, it is suicidal, if not nonsensical, to have 2 top end products cannibalize each other. It is damaging to profit and products classification. If you actually get this point, then there is nothing much to debate about and just accept the fact that these 2 products are targeting at 2 radically different groups of creative designers.

Lightroom has most of the workflow that are easy to use and very much right in your face when you deal with photographs. That being said, I won't limit it to photographs as the main contents to managed, art works such as graphic designs, illustration, fine arts are also good candidate for manipulation. Now lets just highlight some important aspect of Lightroom. On the left is a panel of folders, collections and tagging functionalities they are important when you are dealing with large number of photographs. When I just finish import a series of photographs in numbers of thousands, I want to quickly tag the photos to particular groups so that I can pick and trash photos of particular scene or genre. This is process is very hard in Photoshop. Photoshop main working area is specific to each photographs and not about handling in a large quantity. I want to also identify which photographs should be in a collection and which are not very quickly clicking on the top right colour of the small thumbnail by putting them in a smart collection which I can later convert into a named collection. Again this is not possible in Photoshop. I know that I have a series of photos that I have taken in the morning at the same location that need at least 2 f-stops up for their exposure because I unintentionally stop down for the exposure compensation in the camera, I can easily select all these photos and then apply the same exposure compensation in one go. Try doing that in Photoshop and you will be down to actions and batch processes, and how are you going to select those photos without a library management feature in Photoshop ? We do know there is a Bridge feature in CS, but that is not inside Photoshop, it is inside the Creative Suite. I also need to quickly crop photos and rotate them and adjust their perspective, and keystone and lens distortion in Lightroom. That is possible because that's how Lightroom is designed for such workflows. Try doing it in PS and you will be opening up several dialogs from different menus and eventually you got ONE pathetic photo done. That's indeed "fast" workflow huh ? 1 down and 999 more to go.

You see, if you actually used a Lightroom for some serious workflow and not less than 10 RAW photographs as your portfolio, I say you can stick with Photoshop. If you are a serious enthusiast or a photographer making money from almost daily shoots, you will highly recommend or cannot work without such ease of management and fast workflows.

At the end of the day, SMART is not applied on photographers that choose the one and only productivity tool, but one who uses the BEST tool for the RIGHT job. If you try to bend your ways around Photoshop and got it working, I wouldn't even applaud, but rather say you are plain stupid, because you could have used another better tool and save to 60% of the work and time.

If you are tight on budget and cannot afford both softwares together, and you have to choose one out of both, then you have to assess on what is your most frequent tasks in your work and decide which you want to save your time on. Because I'm a working individual, I see US$300 is a god damn cheap price to pay for if this is for business usage. Any bosses says that is expensive can either rethink your business model or don't be offended when your staffs call you stingy. Now US$700 for PS is indeed expensive for my level of assessment. Perhaps not 10 copies for a business but I say you need at least 1 copy for each full time designer that is going to make your photographs looks impressive at the end of the day.

In the industry I work in, industrial standard is the way to go. Not in the industrial standard set you back from the competitors, and sometimes out of the picture. Lightroom and Photoshop are both industrial standards. If you are a photographer, you will want to go this route not because it is cheaper, but because this is what others will expect of you when you even wanna start a conversation or process with them.

After this explanation, I hope you will wanna go and rethink on whether colour adjustment is editing or not.

But then Lightroom use only for adjusting the colour not editing.

Hi there,thanks explaination but then I still need some workflows on how to using Lightroom instead of other software.Such as CS Photoshop etc...cos to me,the lightroom is still new to me a and I need some guildlines to handle all sort of photo after I shot.

You are welcome. Please download a free trial for 30days of lightroom at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom, then wield the features in it to see for yourself how lightroom is designed to suit an everyday photographer needs. I assure you that you will be able to automate and simplify more of the daily mundane tasks of a photographer than in Photoshop. As I am from an IT background, "lazy" is the way I like to approach problem. Meaning I don't like to redo things again and again if I know there is an automated approach to a problem.

Hi there,thanks explaination but then I still need some workflows on how to using Lightroom instead of other software.Such as CS Photoshop etc...cos to me,the lightroom is still new to me a and I need some guildlines to handle all sort of photo after I shot.

There are many tutorials in the net, there are many books on shelf about Lightroom and you can even get training videos that show every step of the complete workflow. The price difference alone is making it worth having a closer look at Lightroom. If you only work with those function included in LR (and they get more with every new release) then you can save a lot of money. In return, LR offers many functions that Photoshop does not have, especially the Library function to organize your pictures. And if you really need to work with external editors then LR won't stop you either.