Lightroom on netbook

bayusuputra

Sep 24, 2009
SG_ID
www.flickr.com
Hi, i am interested in getting Photoshop products after i use photoscape freeware for quite a while. I have done some research and decided to go for LR. But i have some question that i haven't found yet (or maybe missed it).

First, i am using Acer D255 netbook (reason is for portability, space constraint in my hostel, as well as my dislike for bigger laptops), so is LR compatible with it? My netbook came with 2GB RAM and win7 starter, Atom N550, resolution is 1024x600. I don't know what else to include, i am a tech noob, sorry.

And is there anywhere i can get educational pack for this? i search in CS but there is none, but who knows something new just came out?

Thanks all!
Cheers

taken from Adobe site.

System requirements

Windows

• Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or equivalent
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit); or Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1,024x768 display
  • CD-ROM drive

Mac OS

• Intel processor
  • Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.6
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1,024x768 display
  • CD-ROM drive

Hi, i am interested in getting Photoshop products after i use photoscape freeware for quite a while. I have done some research and decided to go for LR. But i have some question that i haven't found yet (or maybe missed it).

First, i am using Acer D255 netbook (reason is for portability, space constraint in my hostel, as well as my dislike for bigger laptops), so is LR compatible with it? My netbook came with 2GB RAM and win7 starter, Atom N550, resolution is 1024x600. I don't know what else to include, i am a tech noob, sorry.

And is there anywhere i can get educational pack for this? i search in CS but there is none, but who knows something new just came out?

Thanks all!
Cheers

Salamat !. You will have to live with a small picture of your photo if you insist on using a netbook for editting. An Atom cpu can JUST about handle the editting but you need patience. Use a laptop and free yourself from all that hassle.

No educational copy for LR.

Thanks for the replies! I guess i have to use the trial version first before buying the full version..

thanks all..
cheers!

On Adobe website...there is no student edition for Lightroom 3 released to Singapore. However, there is for US. Do note those sold on Amazon, u actually require the student to get a letter from the school and send to Adobe,which will then send ya the serial. So dun get the LR3 student edition from Amazon in case you are considering.

BTW, Adorama is having a promotion for full version Lightroom 3 for USD180. Not sure if it is cheaper than retail version here.

Last edited:
IMO putting LR in a netbook is a waste of money. Better get full blown laptop/macbook to get maximum juice out of it. Just sayin..

You won't be able to use LR on 1024x600 screen. It's too small to do anything.

thanks all for the replies.

the only system requirement that i don't meet is the resolution so i downloaded the trial version of it. it works fine except for the fact that 10.1" is small for doing some serious editing. It's quite slow if i open more than 3 apps simultaneously, but it's quite smooth if i only open audio player and LR only. so, i will use the trial first before deciding..

buying a full blown notebook/laptop is not an option for me as i don't like it cus of personal preference (also, buying laptop/mac for the sake of using LR isn't quite justifiable as i use my netbook in lectures much more often than editing pictures) so maybe i'm gonna buy an external CRT or LCD (used ones to save up some money) if i decide to finally get it..

Thanks all for the replies, appreciate it!
cheers!

Install the trial first before you go buy it.

It may be slow. I used to have a laptop with win7 64-bit running i5 and a 4GB RAM it felt slow for me when processing 21 and 18 mp images.

Upgraded to i7 and 8GB RAM since, and it's been running great. Though i7 + 8GB RAM is a bit of an overkill for Lightroom 3. :bsmilie:

The 2GB you have might be too little. Still, it's best to install the trial first to find out if it runs well for you.

yeah pls get an external monitor when editing... netbook screen is so small you may miss out some details...

just an update. i have downloaded the trial version this afternoon. i have tried to edit 2 images, it ran great, my netbook can handle the job quite well IMO, despite skype and itunes in the background. however, it was quite slow when importing. there are short lags, but rather acceptable for me. Viewing-wise, it is ok, the LR still operates normally despite the lower screen resolution, although a bigger screen would be great (thinking about 15" or more?). so i think i will buy an external monitor after i get the full version. thank you all once again for the replies.

cheers!

When looking for a screen, look for a higher resolution. Maybe 1680x1050 and above.