LightRoom help

eljo99

Dec 11, 2006
Hi guys,

would really appreciate u guys for helping me to find the answer y my lightroom color display of my pics(direct dwnload from harddisk, haven touch anytin yet) is different from what i see from my camera?
But when open to view with the default window viewer, its much of the same color as what i see in my camera.
Any setting to set in lightroom?? :)

There is a subforum Digital Darkroom. Have a look there at the descriptions of the RAW image.
In short: your camera creates a small size jpg file which gets embedded into the RAW by using all picture settings in the camera (Saturation, Contrast etc). Only this jpg can be displayed by the camera LCD. LR will skip this jpg and always render from RAW. Since Canon does not declare how picture settings are saved to RAW the LR software cannot apply these settings and will revert to some defaults. Which is not a disadvantage since RAW is meant to be processed manually. Otherwise JPG would be sufficient for you.
Secondly: read about ICC profiles and colour space. Windows Image viewer is not able to detect the colour profile of the image and will render whatever it "thinks" is ok. Colour-managed software like LR will read embeddec olour space information and adjust the rendering accordingly.
Finally: please calibrate (aka profile) your monitor, otherwise all your editing is quite useless. Most monitors will not display the colours correctly out of the box.

Did you shoot raw+jpeg or raw, or just jpeg? In other words, are you sure you are looking at jpeg shots in LR? Your LCD picture is jpeg and most likely so is the windows viewer since you had to ask this question. The only uncertainty is the LR file.

Like Octarine writes, start by calibrating your monitor or else you have no base line to work from.

Hi guys,

would really appreciate u guys for helping me to find the answer y my lightroom color display of my pics(direct dwnload from harddisk, haven touch anytin yet) is different from what i see from my camera?
But when open to view with the default window viewer, its much of the same color as what i see in my camera.
Any setting to set in lightroom?? :)

Do note that when Lightroom opens your RAW files, it does not apply all your color/sharpness/etc etc settings to the picture automatically. And it will also default to setting Brightness +50 and contrast +25. Some settings are applied (like WB), but most everything else is not. You also need to load the your camera's profiles into the lightroom.

If you want your RAW to open up just like your camera LCD screen with all in-camera settings applied automatically, you need to use the software that comes with your camera (eg. ViewNX or ViewNX2 for Nikon).

Thank you all for the feedbacks.. Appreciated.. :) will go to Sub forum Digital darkroom to learn more.. Thks