Lightroom filters protected images?

Ferderico

Mar 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if Lightroom has a feature to filter out photos which are protected.

During an assignment I might be shooting hundreds of photos and during my break I will review the photos and protect those that i like.

Does lightroom has a filter for "protected" images?

Not to my knowledge .. and based on the workflow it is not necessary. The protection is a feature of the camera which is not written to the image file but stored somewhere else. Since LR only imports the files it cannot read something that is not part of the image file.

i am sure it got to be written somewhere and most probably within the CF card itself. It would be great to have this feature uncovered as it saves a lot of time for photographers doing sports, events or needed immediate upload to clients.

Flag as Pick feature might be what you need.

Press P to Flag as Pick, U to Unflag. Then in Library Filter ('\' key), under Attribute tab, select the Flagged filter (Flag with check mark).

Last edited:
read up on all the functions to manage your photos... from ratings, to labels/colors, keywords.
and then filters & smart filters. it's worth it.
I'm running close to 200k photos on 3 hard drives in my library. And wouldn't know how to manage without all the filtering/functions. :cool:

Protecting the file inside the cam write potects the file on the card. Not really something one likes as write protected cannot be deleted or modified. LR does not recognise the write protection state of the file as far as I know. Like the others I feel you are better off reviewing the photos on the monitor in LR. What looks good on the LCD may not look good anymore on the monitor.

i am sure it got to be written somewhere and most probably within the CF card itself. It would be great to have this feature uncovered as it saves a lot of time for photographers doing sports, events or needed immediate upload to clients.

If you protect all pictures that you want to keep and follow the logic then you should delete all pictures without protection flag. Which leaves Lightroom to import all pictures that have been protected initially and nothing else. But I also agree to Michael's comment: review on a screen where you can really judge the image.

Flag as Pick feature might be what you need.

Press P to Flag as Pick, U to Unflag. Then in Library Filter ('\' key), under Attribute tab, select the Flagged filter (Flag with check mark).

erm... i use this feature all the time....

I am thinking of a way to streamline my workflow

seems like Lightroom really doesnt have this feature.

The idea of protecting the images as a form of filtering was shared by a journalist photographer of Straits Times.
Sometimes he has no time to sort out the photos in front of the computer and being pressed for the photos to be published.

I can't remember what was the editing software he uses but since the software can extract the "protected" data it has to be written somewhere.

Just in case, I do the other necessary workflow once i am back on my studio. Thanks for the replies....

It could be possible that this feature becomes available / usable if you use the software provided by the camera maker and connect the camera directly to your PC using USB cable. You can also do a simple test with a freshly formatted memory card: take some pics, protect a few and check the file details in the file explorer of your computer. If the protected files become 'read only' in the file system then LR won't care about it. LR looks at the exif data of the image.

Was looking for a solution for this too... figured out a way.

Lightroom doesn't copy the right protect status from the media card, so after importing, you have to use an advanced file explorer (I used FreeCommander XE)

1. Show the files which are protected on the card and OVERWRITE the files on hard disk
2. Then on the hard disk, I create a subfolder (eg. Selected)
3. Now I search for the protected files in the hard disk folder and MOVE them to the subfolder
4. On lightroom, I select the folder, right click and Syncronise folder to let it recognise that the files have moved around