Lightroom exporting issue. Please Help

conkeychua

Aug 19, 2009
Hi all, am a beginner in PP so am starting out with lightroom......

Apprently i have been editing a picture, testing out the software and when im done editing the pic, i click on the export button and selected the usual export to same folder as original photo. After its done, i go to the original folder to take a look at the end result, to my surprise its exactly the same as the original before editing..... :(

Opening my LR again, all the edits are still there.... Tried exporting a few times and results are the same.... Pics go back to before edit standard.

Is there some step that i have missed out?

Thanks alot

you are writing back into the same folder as the original file, are you specifying a new file name? you may not and your export dialog may there skip the export, check the export settings.
i suggest that you export the finished file into a different folder from the original

when exporting, under 'Export Location', there is a tab called 'Existing File', where you can choose 'ask what to do', 'overwrite', 'create a new file', 'skip'
check it to see that what your setting is, if 'skip' then this is the reason.
try make a new file name bah.

Last edited:
you are writing back into the same folder as the original file, are you specifying a new file name? you may not and your export dialog may there skip the export, check the export settings.
i suggest that you export the finished file into a different folder from the original

Hi bro, yes I'm exporting the file to the same folder and I did use a different file name. Oh and the best part, I think the default export location is the desktop? I tried it 3 time to export to desktop, after completing, there is no such file on the desktop at all :(

Hi bro, yes I'm exporting the file to the same folder and I did use a different file name. Oh and the best part, I think the default export location is the desktop? I tried it 3 time to export to desktop, after completing, there is no such file on the desktop at all :(
Why not creating a new folder, point LR to that folder and export to it? Why do you mix original images with edited ones? If you watch any of those hundreds of tutorial videos or read the tutorials you will see that they all show creating a specific folder structure with one clear separation: input and output.
The export dialog even has an option "Put into Subfolder" where (in case you insist of using the same folder at the input files) you can easily define a folder to be created and used.

export to desktop did not create a file, now that is strange.... never came across this issue.
now it gets difficult... just to double check, when you hit the export button and the dialog window opens, does it say at the top of the window "Export one selected photo"?
maybe you can post a screen shot of your export window, that could help to figure it out

export to desktop did not create a file, now that is strange.... never came across this issue.
now it gets difficult... just to double check, when you hit the export button and the dialog window opens, does it say at the top of the window "Export one selected photo"?
maybe you can post a screen shot of your export window, that could help to figure it out

Hi All, discovered the problem... ( probably i should face the firing squad ) :(

Apprently after i click export, the field for the export pops out right, there is a potion where you choose the file settings where apprently when you choose to export in a original format, the picture will go back to original... ( NOt too sure if this should be the case ). Apprently i did select JPEG and what happen was, i scrolled down using my mouse scroller to see the other option below and when i scrolled down, the drop down bar actually reacts to my scroller and selected the bottom most option which is original.... I didnt notice....:(

Back to the original selection, if i edit the pics and save under original instead of Jpeg, can i know what is this function good for?

i guess it is used to duplicate your photos to somewhere else... you could use it as a backup tool

Hi All, discovered the problem... ( probably i should face the firing squad ) :(

Apprently after i click export, the field for the export pops out right, there is a potion where you choose the file settings where apprently when you choose to export in a original format, the picture will go back to original... ( NOt too sure if this should be the case ). Apprently i did select JPEG and what happen was, i scrolled down using my mouse scroller to see the other option below and when i scrolled down, the drop down bar actually reacts to my scroller and selected the bottom most option which is original.... I didnt notice....:(

Back to the original selection, if i edit the pics and save under original instead of Jpeg, can i know what is this function good for?

I don't think that is the cause, what i know original format just means that the edited photo will be saved in the same format as the original (i.e. if original is TIFF, then edited will be TIFF, JPEG then edited will be JPEG), so i am not sure what is the cause of your problem, but as the others suggest, make a new folder would be a better option as well as solution.

I don't think that is the cause, what i know original format just means that the edited photo will be saved in the same format as the original (i.e. if original is TIFF, then edited will be TIFF, JPEG then edited will be JPEG), so i am not sure what is the cause of your problem, but as the others suggest, make a new folder would be a better option as well as solution.
this is what Lightroom help says:
Note: If you choose Original, Lightroom exports the original image data, and no File Settings options are available. When exporting original raw files, metadata changes are exported in an accompanying sidecar file.

so you see, no edits are saved...

Hi, just to rob this thread abit..

its also about exporting issue.. just tat my problem is about color.
When i edit in LR, its looks perfectly fine and i happily edit to the color saturation i wan..
But when i export it out, and i view with the windows default viewer, its looks much more saturation... arggggg. i believe there is some mismatch in color space...

Can any kind soul tell me which side should i go and set? LR or Control panel Adobe Gamma?

Thks thks