Lightroom expert needed; regarding on render preview losing color and vibrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamchew85

Jan 2, 2009
Hey any expert here? need advise...
i shoot raw photo from my D90.
when importing into lightroom and previewing the screen (just before rendering), the color is very vibrance. but after finish rendering, it suddenly loses color and vibrance... become very neutral and different alot from preview from my D90 camera preview screen.

Please advise....issit something to do with lightroom setting which make my photo lose vibrance and color when trying to do rendering?

camera LCD will always looks better than the actual photo because screen is small.
Plus you shoot RAW so all setting to the photo will set back to normal. You may need to work on with the lightroom. Push a bit of vibrance you might get the result you want.

Hey any expert here? need advise...
when importing into lightroom and previewing the screen (just before rendering), the color is very vibrance. but after finish rendering, it suddenly loses color and vibrance... become very neutral and different alot from preview from my D90 camera preview screen.

Please advise....issit something to do with lightroom setting which make my photo lose vibrance and color when trying to do rendering?
This question has been answered numerous times....
The preview in LR that you see for a couple seconds is the jpeg saved in the RAW file. This jpeg is created by the camera using in-camera setting (the way Nikon thinks the photos should look like). Camera manufactures will boost vibrance, saturation and contrast in the RAW rendering of the jpegs as this is what the average person expects. The conversion formulas RAW->jpeg are kept secrete by the manufactures. So, Adobe (and any other producer of a third party RAW converter) needs to re-engineer the RAW conversion. This is done by shooting calibrated colour charts and interpretation of the RAW data. Adobe chooses to produce a neutral looking RAW conversion instead of the oversaturated jpeg you get out of camera. This gives you more room to play with the RAW file but may disappoint you in the beginning.
you can create a preset that pushes the vibrance, constrast and saturation and use this as a starting point for the you RAW conversion, you can apply this preset during import. You may also want to try some of the alternative ACR profiles that come with LR and check if they give a better result or if you are really adventurous try to make your own.

Why are you shooting RAW in the first place? Have you thought about the consequences for your workflow? Obviously not. Your RAW files do not contain any image settings but instead show you the PLAIN image as captured by the sensor. All the vibrance, contrast and other (sometimes rather fancy than useful) settings are applied when converting the RAW data to JPG. So logically they don't exist in the RAW file, except in the tiny jpg preview as Michael mentioned.
Next, RAW is a file format where post-processing is a MUST. So why would one use some template settings from the camera and apply them blindly to each photo taken when post-processing offers a much finer and more detailed way of changing parameters? Lightroom gives you this control - you can adjust the parameters for each image or you can apply presets (prepared or your own ones) to all images. The difference here: it's your decision when to take what. Once your camera has converted an image to JPG using a certain picture style it's irreversible. In Lightroom you can always go back to the unprocessed image.
Your LCD is far from being an accurate display. It's there to change settings, check histogram and get a first idea whether the image taken is within the expected range.

Sorry for being newbie bcoz i shoot raw for testing and experiment for HDR purpose.
Is there any ways to covert RAW to JPG which retain the original setting that i shot with?

Is there any ways to covert RAW to JPG which retain the original setting that i shot with?

No. That would require the camera writing the processing steps into the RAW file so that you can apply the settings later. Neither Canon nor Nikon would reveal these details, it's part of their IP or trade secret.
What you can do is check for development presets at Acrobat Exchange. There are many presets offered by other users which might be close to the picture styles of your camera. Use them and add your own adjustments, then export to JPG.

Bro, when you are viewing it in your camera, it will display as the setting u used that time, like in canon landscape, portrait, faithful, etc. But when you are importing into lightroom, the setting will be RAW, its really the original file without any enhancement, even you need to sharpen it again... like I usually used is landscape, the color vibrance looks so nice in my cam screen....

Just push more on vibrance...and dont forget to sharpen a bit...

Bro, when you are viewing it in your camera, it will display as the setting u used that time, like in canon landscape, portrait, faithful, etc. But when you are importing into lightroom, the setting will be RAW, its really the original file without any enhancement, even you need to sharpen it again... like I usually used is landscape, the color vibrance looks so nice in my cam screen....

Just push more on vibrance...and dont forget to sharpen a bit...

so if i use other software like nikon capture nx 2 will retain the setting that i shot with?

so if i use other software like nikon capture nx 2 will retain the setting that i shot with?

Found this article: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12023&sid=d6c499f604a5e5486fde99021590eef0
It seems that there is a flag in the Nikon RAW file (NEF) indicating the picture style used in the camera. Capture NX2 will recognize this and present the raw file in such a way (Capture NX2 has the relevant information about the picture style settings). Of course, LR2 and others are not able to replicate this feature.
But again, LR2 can be equipped with even more styles (not just the few from Nikon) and the organizing capabilities of LR2 clearly outweigh any missing picture styles for me.

LR2 has included camera profiles which try to mimic the actual profiles from Nikon & Canon. Better but not always similar.

Think using the proprietary software is the only way to get what you want for now.

No. That would require the camera writing the processing steps into the RAW file so that you can apply the settings later. Neither Canon nor Nikon would reveal these details, it's part of their IP or trade secret.
What you can do is check for development presets at Acrobat Exchange. There are many presets offered by other users which might be close to the picture styles of your camera. Use them and add your own adjustments, then export to JPG.
actually yes, use Nikon Capture NX2, this software can read all the embedded adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.