Lightroom 4 Exporting Problems : RAW Conversion to JPEG

d3ath5ync

Jan 31, 2011
Hi,

Im using Lightroom 4 and I have this problem when exporting photos. The photos are totally fine(in this case, the sky was totally smooth)
but when I exported it, the quality changed. I did put to 100 percent Quality with 1200 Resolution but its still the same.
I tried exporting it to 16bit TIFF and it still has that blocky colours in the sky.

I get the same problem no matter if its RAW to JPEG, or JPEG to JPEG :/
Help anyone? :/

example image :
YG3Au

link to image : http://imgur.com/YG3Au

Last edited:
maybe this thread would have been better in the Digital Darkroom subforum... anyways

the "blocky"ness of the sky or banding is probably due to the lack of available tones to represent the gradient of the sky... one way to minimize the situation is actually to add abit of noise to the image, which helps to break down the banding and allow a smoother looking gradient... add to taste :)

1200 res??? Sir, your hard disk is gonna explode man.

1200 res??? Sir, your hard disk is gonna explode man.

Maybe he means 1200pixels in the long side?

If it's 1200dpi... LOL...

First, the dpi setting has no influence on the conversion process whatsoever. The banding or blocks come from insufficient colours available in sRGB colour space and 8bit image size
Adding noise is probably the best option

haha yes 1200 pixels per cm or so it says, I thought it would have an effect on the export outcome.
I even tried to max it out. I would try adding noise to it to see if it helps :)
Thanks alot people !
sorry I posted in the wrong thread >< Im still new here !