Lightning (How to capture?)

snapperBB

Sep 26, 2005
Upper Changi Road
Hi all,
Recently, there were beautiful 'lightning' shows at area. Anybody care to share how to best capture the shots? I tried long exposures with intermittent covers on the lens, high ISOs etc...but, the effect was less than satisfactory.

Thank you!

only know night one is something like that, 100iso / F8-11 / Exposure 20-30s.
then camp for lightning to show :) .

Last edited:
u do not need high iso to capture lightning, the lightning is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bright. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

the general settings are - lowest ISO, small aperture (typically F11 or even smaller), shutter speed depending on the ambient light, the general idea is not to overexpose the ambient. that means you can have longer shutter speed at night (can be a few seconds~30 seconds etc), and faster shutter speed at day time. you may need to mount your camera on tripod.

try to observe the lightning for a few minutes first, then you will have an general idea of where the lightning is going to strike, then aim your camera at that area, and KEEP SHOOTING and pray that the lightning strike while your shutter curtain is open, you will need luck here. :sweatsm::sweatsm: there is higher chance that you can capture he lightning at night time because of the longer shutter speed.

and which aperture to use? depends on the brightness of the lightning too, which we cant predict (luck again), i shot once with aperture of f14, but the lightning was so bright that even with f14, the whole photo still overexposed by 1 stop or more. but when i changed to f18, the lightning become not so bright and i can barely see the lightning in the photo. :sweat:

1. u need to predict where the lightning will strike.
2. Shutter priority. (i use 5s
3. under expose the scene by 1 or 2 stops.
4. Spam your shutter..

Last edited:
it is luck.

you basically can just try bulb mode.

either that or just keep shooting exposures until you catch something by chance.

i also tried to capture lightnings just now.. but too bad had little/no view, only a quick bright flash every now and then.

who is interested in forming a group to capture lightning?

Thanks for the useful tips! Still experimenting, so far only one take with a streak of lightning, nothing to shout about.;p