Lightning Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peegee

Jul 14, 2008
I noticed that there's been a lot of streaky lightning during the evening in the north and northwest of Singapore this past week.

Anyone interested may try to capture this natural spectacle from the heights of the new 40 storey blocks at Toa Payoh Central. Hurry while "stocks" last.

Shot some slides and hope they turn out well.

Just a heads up. Cheers.

Last edited:
noticed the lighting from marina barrage too. looks explosive!:D

Tried to capture the lightnings at Marina Barrage yesterday. No luck.
Any tips?

Keeping firing untill I get lucky? :dunno:

Tried to capture the lightnings at Marina Barrage yesterday. No luck.
Any tips?

Keeping firing untill I get lucky? :dunno:

Simple way is to expose longer.... and let the lightning strike in between the frames...

I still recommend shooting the lightning from as high up as possible. The view is spectacular. Need lotsa luck too. Maybe use a black card on bulb mode.

Simple way is to expose longer.... and let the lightning strike in between the frames...

get a lightning trigger? ;p

not that i have... :p

get a lightning trigger? ;p

not that i have... :p

Modify a light-sensitive trigger (those used to trigger slave strobes/flashes when they register a burst of light) to trigger a camera? Just a thought.

Modify a light-sensitive trigger (those used to trigger slave strobes/flashes when they register a burst of light) to trigger a camera? Just a thought.

... den the lightning trigger the flash not the cam...

camera is master (trigger), flash is slave (triggered). how to do other way round? somemore DSLR goes to sleep mode after some time, not like film cam- whole day dun sleep oso can!! :bsmilie:

... den the lightning trigger the flash not the cam...

camera is master (trigger), flash is slave (triggered). how to do other way round? somemore DSLR goes to sleep mode after some time, not like film cam- whole day dun sleep oso can!! :bsmilie:

I think you didn't read my post properly.

There is a type of trigger that will trigger a flash when it detects light. It's either called a photosensitive flash trigger or a optical flash trigger (can't remember which).

The usual scope of application is when you have two flashes and no way to trigger them wirelessly. Attaching this trigger to one of the flashes and mounting the other on your camera, when you fire off your on-camera flash, the trigger will sense the light and trigger off the slave flash attached to it. The master is your main flash, not the camera.

Using this technology, if someone can modify this flash trigger to trigger a camera instead, then we'd be able to shoot lightning. :)

I think you didn't read my post properly.

There is a type of trigger that will trigger a flash when it detects light. It's either called a photosensitive flash trigger or a optical flash trigger (can't remember which).

The usual scope of application is when you have two flashes and no way to trigger them wirelessly. Attaching this trigger to one of the flashes and mounting the other on your camera, when you fire off your on-camera flash, the trigger will sense the light and trigger off the slave flash attached to it. The master is your main flash, not the camera.

Using this technology, if someone can modify this flash trigger to trigger a camera instead, then we'd be able to shoot lightning. :)

my mistake, the way i replied... :embrass:

i do have that kind of slave trigger for external flash. if someone could do the reverse for that, it would not be me. i am not any good with electronics. there may be technical differences between a triggering a camera to snap a shot (worse, if it went into sleep mode:rolleyes:) & a flash popping off.

Last edited:
I still recommend shooting the lightning from as high up as possible. The view is spectacular. Need lotsa luck too. Maybe use a black card on bulb mode.

Black Card might not really work because lightning usually happen so fast, by the time you react, the lightning is gone.

I do short countdowns, shoot and hope for the best.

Black Card might not really work because lightning usually happen so fast, by the time you react, the lightning is gone.

I do short countdowns, shoot and hope for the best.

There are some tricks to getting shots like this.

DSC_3095800.jpg

;)

Location, Luck and Lots of Patience.

did you use a long exposure to do that? care to explain? thanks, nice photo btw.

Here's my shot and how I did it. Actually, it is pretty easy and you can go have a cup of coffee and let the camera do all the work

Taken from my 11 floor window in SengKang

3464486880_bedc13b391.jpg

1) Point camera at a spot that lightning has been occuring
2) Set on tripod
3) Attach wire release
4) Set camera to continuous burst
5) Set to manual mode (say 30sec shutter speed with suitable aperture)
6) Lock wire release so that it is depressed (Like what you do for BULB exposure)
7) Go have a cup of kopi and check your shots after some time

Last edited:
yah, u are right. I got the pic after 30 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.