Lightmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReSpawN

Jun 15, 2004
Tam pines
Is lightmeter needed in portrait / studio shots?
Any recommendation on which lightmeter is good?

Thanks

ReSpawN said:

Thanks

its good to have. but, unless u own ur own studio, u can always borrow the studio's lightmeter to use. of course, u can also use it for outdoors. but, by and large, i think most of us dun use the lightmeter outdoors but rely on the built-in exposure meter of the cam.

a good starter lightmeter can be found at ruby (peninsular hotel lobby, next to spinelli's). a polaris meter is going for ard $240+.

hope this helps?

ReSpawN said:

Thanks

Light meter is always recommended in any kind of shoots, whether portraits, products, landscapes, indoors/outdoors etc It allows for precision in lighting. Most lightmeters in studio portraits shoots are incident type meters. (also called flash meters0 But for really accurate metering, a spotmeter is even better, becasue it allows for the absolute control of light in any spot of the face.

Now the all important question abotu which is "good". What is your budget?

student said:
Light meter is always recommended in any kind of shoots, whether portraits, products, landscapes, indoors/outdoors etc It allows for precision in lighting. Most lightmeters in studio portraits shoots are incident type meters. (also called flash meters0 But for really accurate metering, a spotmeter is even better, becasue it allows for the absolute control of light in any spot of the face.

Now the all important question abotu which is "good". What is your budget?

My budget is ard $300-$400.
Is the SEKONIC beta than the polaris meter ?
I've seen quite a number of people using the minotla lightmeter, is it one of the better ones?

I've not used any lightmeter b4, so i hope that anyone can help me in this.

ReSpawN said:
I've seen quite a number of people using the minotla lightmeter, is it one of the better ones?

So far, the lightmeter of various brand I seen are quite accurate. I have a Sekonic L-358 and quite pleased with it. However, I had seen some with Polaris and the reading is quite accurate too. I guess it would be up to you to decide what Lightmeter you like and get used to the light meter.

The Minolta Light Meter is often touted as one of the most accurate light meter, and it happens to be one of the most, if not the most, expensive light meter around too.

Minolta Autometer VF is about $550+, Flashmeter VI is about $750. Two of the best light/flash meters around.

AJ23 said:
Minolta Autometer VF is about $550+, Flashmeter VI is about $750. Two of the best light/flash meters around.

WAH!! :bigeyes: lightmeter also so expensive, no wonder ppl say photography is not cheap :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

blurblock said:
So far, the lightmeter of various brand I seen are quite accurate. I have a Sekonic L-358 and quite pleased with it. However, I had seen some with Polaris and the reading is quite accurate too. I guess it would be up to you to decide what Lightmeter you like and get used to the light meter.

The Minolta Light Meter is often touted as one of the most accurate light meter, and it happens to be one of the most, if not the most, expensive light meter around too.

How much u pay for the Sekonic L358? Wat's the diff between 358 & 308?

ReSpawN said:
How much u pay for the Sekonic L358? Wat's the diff between 358 & 308?

Can't really remember how much I paid for L358 .... I think somewhere around $500.

I do not know the difference betwenn 358 and 308.

ReSpawN said:

the Sekonic L308B II is small and portable, within your stated budget ($300+), can be used as an inicident as well as reflective light meter, and doubles up as a cordless or corded flash meter. what more can you ask for? :)

i've had zero problems with accuracy with it so far.

i just found out from ruby. their electra flash meter is selling for $100. only thing its analog and only can use for studio.

darn... does anyone else know if someone ard here selling those cheaper gossen models, dat can do both flash and ambient lighting? :dunno:

nightwolf75,

I think the Gossen meters is more expensive than Sekonics. Saw a couple of them at Fotografix Marketing at Lucky Chinatown. Check them out!!

dreamseeker said:
nightwolf75,

I think the Gossen meters is more expensive than Sekonics. Saw a couple of them at Fotografix Marketing at Lucky Chinatown. Check them out!!

thanks, man! i'm just keeping my options open. the last i checked with TCW, their sekonics was going for $335, if i remember correctly. i dunno abt gossen's prices becos its so rare. haha... chances are i might go get the ruby's electra set, since i only use it for flash anyway.

damn....light meters all so ex! i need one too but guess way off budget. willin to spend only about 100 bucks man. anyone knows where can get? :)

do they damage easily. does the light sensor spoil if over exposed or something like that?

All electronic equipments should be handled with care. Dropping it may damage the circuitry. So, handle it with tender loving care at all times.

The translucent dome should not be removed in strong lighting. Otherwise, the bare sensor may register light beyond its acceptable range.

reachme2003 said:
All electronic equipments should be handled with care. Dropping it may damage the circuitry. So, handle it with tender loving care at all times.

The translucent dome should not be removed in strong lighting. Otherwise, the bare sensor may register light beyond its acceptable range.

even if the meter ic off, will the sensor still damage if exposed in strong light??

guys i think i gonna ask another stupid question...

how do you guys set the lightmeter, (mine is polaris) to permanent F8 den get the shutter speed? cos my cam have max of F8, den the lightmeter shows the super duper F40++ or F20++ with only max shutter speed of 500.

think gotta upgrade to a DSLR... i kinda distantly hear the murmur of my DSLR... think its on the conveyor now.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.