Lighting up the Diwali diyas (lamps)

dipal

Nov 5, 2010
Intro:
Lighting up the diyas - For Hindus, light is the symbol of knowledge, wisdom, goodness, happiness, peace, truth and prosperity. Whereas, darkness symbolizes everything opposite to it. We find in legendary stories of Diwali the mention of the role of Diyas. Natives of Ayodhya lit Diyas in the way of Lord Rama, Lakshmana, and Mother Sita so that they would not get distracted from the path.

5159970997_948f6e2b13_z.jpg

In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, and post processing. I don't normally use Lightroom, but I found the B&W - Selenium tone to be quite good an effect for this picture.

What I hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to depict the importance of 'light' and 'diyas' along with an interesting composition. I've given it my best shot. It was however an impromptu shot and not a planned one.

Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
The picture was taken after the person finished lighting the diyas. She was just gonna wrap up when I noticed how beautiful the bangles looked against all the diyas. I have tried to capture the beauty of the scene.

What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think this shot has come out well.
However, IF it was a planned shot, how differently could I have done it?

Ideas welcome!

Thanks,
Dipal B

Last edited:
I like it somewhat. But felt that you did not leave enough room on the left side. Either a wider view or landscape view can work better.

Hi!
Thanks! I was also thinking about the same - except that I really wanted to focus on the bangles. And the diyas were lined up vertically as shown.
Maybe I should've tried from the front? Try and include the face of the subject, perhaps.

It would be better if you had taken all the candles and focused on the bangles. just my 2 cents!

I like it a lot. Especially the colours - monotonous, yet impactful

Last edited:
Hi!
Thanks! I was also thinking about the same - except that I really wanted to focus on the bangles. And the diyas were lined up vertically as shown.
Maybe I should've tried from the front? Try and include the face of the subject, perhaps.

I think if you leaned back a little of take 1/2 a step back, it would be nice... with the lights covered horizontally and yet enough room on the left side. The bangles are very strong in this picture, so even slightly smaller in the picture, it will still draw attention.

I like your choice of tones.
Makes the image look very intimate and personal.

interesting tones, looks urban acid-ish..

more space, and a better composition will do more justice to the very nice lighting here.