Lighting Power Supply

horizon_grazer

Feb 6, 2006
Can anyone please advise on a suitable portable, power supply source,
for maybe one to two 600W AC 110-220V, 50-60Hz strobes
Budget <$600 hopefully
Purpose will be more on location shoots

The strobe brand company does not manufacture any portable power source of its own.

Is a light weight, portable, diesel powered generator a feasible solution?
Please kindly advise and welcome any alternate solutions.

Last edited:
You're probably best off with a 2000w petrol genset for running 1200w of equipment.
Do note that continuous power may be rated at 600w each lamp, but there may be surge currents which will end up drawing more power from your portable AC source.

We've used 1kw genset before on a 800w lamp and there are occassional trips of breakers due to over current draw.

If you need to be using in an enclosed location, then you may opt for a DC-AC inverter system. sustaining a current draw rate of 1200w for inverter systems powered by batteries can be quite tedious in terms of your battery requirements....and heavy too.

And for a budget of $600 to run 1200w of equipment is quite impossible.
A good & reliable genset of 1000w already cost over $1k.
A good & safe inverter of 1000w already cost over $600 without batteries.

:thumbsup:

some research from me .. though i have not bought any of them yet

1) As NoiNoi as mentioned
Godox LeadPower LP-750 Inverter from Manda Photo
$890

2) Tronix Explorer XT "SE" 230Vac/50Hz
http://cathayphoto.com.sg/offers/brand/innovatronix

3) yamaha generator - but the agent do carry anymore
http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/consumer/pp/generator/220v-50hz/index.html

4) honda generator
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=sq
u can get direct from kah motor or an agent in lavendar
1.3k + gst for 1kwatt
1.9k + gst for 2kwatt

5) Vagabond Mini - 230v
http://www.paulcbuff.com.au/cms/ind...category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
rated 500 shots at full power with B800 strobe

6) 600 watts portable battery strobe
jinbei from afiend in mass order
godox from manda photo / artworkfoto

DXNMedia has most important points covered
so have your pick :)

Last edited:
DXNMedia,

Thanks for the insight of current surge. :thumbsup:
Further reading on the topic deepen my knowledge of the need for sine wave inverter to act as a current limiting role during recycle.

Your cost clarification is also valid and bring me closer to reality :bsmilie:

soeypixels,

Really generous of you to share your own research with us.
The range is extensive and informative

Really save me a lot of time and thanks a lot ! ;)

Noi Noi,

Thanks for the recommendation and prompt reply :)
But worried maybe not enough power to support two 600W strobes

Last edited:
DXNMedia,

Thanks for the insight of current surge. :thumbsup:
Further reading on the topic deepen my knowledge of the need for sine wave inverter to act as a current limiting role during recycle.

Your cost clarification is also valid and bring me closer to reality :bsmilie:

soeypixels,

Really generous of you to share your own research with us.
The range is extensive and informative

Really save me a lot of time and thanks a lot ! ;)

Noi Noi,

Thanks for the recommendation and prompt reply :)
But worried maybe not enough power to support two 600W strobes
Give the Profoto BATPAC a look over.
Used it to power a profoto Acute 1200 for a shoot and it lasted about 200 shots at full power. But you rarely need that much power...
Comes with two power sockets. Can power 2 600W strobes. Recycling speeds are decent. about 3 seconds per full power pop.
You can even use it to power your laptop and other equipment - with optional add-on plug head adaptors).
Give a call to Shriro and look for Denis.

Most of the strobe manufacturers are turning to use Li-Ion for their battery packs including the Chinese brands. So you might want to hold on a while more till the end of the year for better choices. ;)

The Profoto BATPAC definitely is a nice package.
Actually had seen it in the Profoto user group thread before but the price is a killer
Will find it hard to justify its price for my usage
But, thanks for the recommendation :)
Give the Profoto BATPAC a look over.
Used it to power a profoto Acute 1200 for a shoot and it lasted about 200 shots at full power. But you rarely need that much power...
Comes with two power sockets. Can power 2 600W strobes. Recycling speeds are decent. about 3 seconds per full power pop.
You can even use it to power your laptop and other equipment - with optional add-on plug head adaptors).
Give a call to Shriro and look for Denis.

Been flipping through some of the Nov photography magazines..
I believe you are right, many strobe manufacturers are indeed introducing new batteries pack.
Its should be a exciting time at the end of the current year or maybe early next

Thanks for the advice !;)
Most of the strobe manufacturers are turning to use Li-Ion for their battery packs including the Chinese brands. So you might want to hold on a while more till the end of the year for better choices. ;)

Using modified sine wave or square wave inverters is definitely not a good choice as you may end up spoiling your equipment. If you are to opt for battery & inverter systems, definitely must opt for pure sine wave inverters, and those stuff are expensive.

As for gensets, your best bet is probably to go with Honda Eu1000i...it's super lightweight, linkable with another unit to make 2kw, and it runs pretty silent.

I own a few systems for portable power requirements and I think both genset & batt/inverter systems have their pros & cons. :thumbsup:

Another thought for you.....it may even be cheaper if you opt for a more efficient lighting system for your mobile requirements....I use quite a number of LED lighting systems now and no need to lug heavy gensets or battery systems around. ;)

DXNMedia,

Thanks again for your detail recommendation ! :thumbsup:
Believe LED is the way to go, especially as technology advances

Thank you to all that had replied
Your valuable inputs enable me to have a better analysis :D

To DXNMEDIA, Are the LED systems you are refering to AC powered continuous lights? Can you provide a link to chk them out?

Tks:)

Last edited:
I'm using the Innovatrix battery from Cathay Photo to power my Profoto Acute2 flash generators. No problem for 1200w/s, and they work well to power a inkjet printer and notebook when I need to work outdoors as well.

Thanks Nelson :)

You have an impressive website w/ cool articles