Lighting portrait- experiment at home-1st try

Chiacj

Nov 9, 2009
Hougang
chiacj.zenfolio.com
41227_149848945038510_100000402156104_299897_8285382_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I know the background could have been better, I'm more concern to seek out opinions on lighting improvement with 2-3 lights setup.
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hope to achieve nice looking portrait, is it acceptable in terms of light, exposure?
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I'm currently mimicking some lighting setups each day to learn more on lighting, picture is taken with a light mood with my wife =)
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I added blurness in post process, to give it a soft feel, cheerful, yet contrasty pic. How does it look to you?

hmmmm..... the lighting seems too top-right heavy...(the shadows seem very marked on the lower half of her face (looks totally weird) ... also the neck area...

try using light from other directions ? either move light source or have her reposition herself ? or have a reflector (or white paper) below her face throw some light back to fill in that uneveness?

Curious...are u using a Center-Area-Clear soft filter ?

best of luck !

Last edited:
I think u should put some effort in looking for a better background.

Seems abit soft even at the area of focus..

As most of them have pointed out the light facing down on the model is a little harsh.
Shadows look a little wierd :)

If it was a 3 light setup, the one light could have been dedicated to washout the background. A little more far placed light would have diffused it a little more to reduce shadows...