Lighting Assistance a.k.a On The Job Lesson

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
Hi guys,

Just a heads up for this weekend Cosplay Event shoot at Ngee Ann Poly, 9 April, 11-6pm. Entry is $5. (But it should be free if we don't enter the main hall)

Take note that this is not much of a step-by-step lesson as it is an on the job training on strobing. I would appreciate it if you guys can help me with the setup during the shoot. Do take note that you will helping out by holding equipment instead of shooting, but if there's more people, we can rotate accordingly.

It would also be great if you guys could bring your own triggers/receivers/flashguns/accessories to add to my 2-lights setup. But most importantly, I would like for someone to bring along a laptop/netbook so that we can do post-mortem discussion on the pictures after the event.

Do reply by stating availability and the stuff you will be bringing.

I know about the usual Cosplay event-goers, but I would like to teach a new batch. At least someone I've seen/talked too before so that we can communicate well during the shoot. Plus, if I like you well enough after the event, I'll keep you in mind whenever I have future private photoshoots. ;)

I'll keep it to 4 ppl max, but others are welcomed to join have a look see. (I don't want a wall of photogs distracting the cosplayer. Hope you understand. I don't mind a counter-wall to block said wall of photogs though) :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i can help/learn you after my sunrise shot. If u still need a netbook, i dont mind bringing. =)

I'm interested in following to go shoot. Shall we meet somewhere?

Thanks for the interest guys.

LiverpoolMadman will be bringing his laptop. The rest of you are welcomed to bring extra flash, AA/AAA batteries.

We will be meeting at Clementi MRT at 10:30am. And if someone knows the way to Ngee Ann Poly, all the better. I only have a rough idea of the place. :sweat:

For those of you coming later, you can contact me at 94704072. See you guys tomorrow. :cool:

LiverpoolMadman will be bringing his laptop. The rest of you are welcomed to bring extra flash, AA/AAA batteries.

We will be meeting at Clementi MRT at 10:30am. And if someone knows the way to Ngee Ann Poly, all the better. I only have a rough idea of the place. :sweat:

For those of you coming later, you can contact me at 94704072. See you guys tomorrow. :cool:

Hi bro, to go to NP, Walk to the bus stop at Clementi MRT, Commonwealth Avenue West. Take bus 52 or 154 alight 9 stops later;)
Should not be that hard to spot the location if you see many people/cosplayer going in that direction.

See you guys tomorrow at NP!:D

Last edited:
Gary u r going ?

just take note that if you intend to use the electrical power there, be discrete as the organisers might not have permission from Estate for booth vendors/visitors to do so.

charge laptop maybe close one eye but its another thing if used to power a lighting setup.

Last edited:
just take note that if you intend to use the electrical power there, be discrete as the organisers might not have permission from Estate for booth vendors/visitors to do so.

I have read about this issue in sgcafe about 1 photog that uses event power supply for studio work. But we are using speedlite so not gonna use any electrical supply there other then our AA batteries;)

Cant be sure about the laptop>.<

Last edited:

Sorry Barcus, unable to join for this time round due to tomb sweeping. Wasted a good opportunity to c u at work =(

Big thanks to LiverpoolMadman for coming and sticking with me for the whole duration and putting up with the malfunctioning setup. :sweat:

Another big thanks to my fellow "serial flashers", Francis and Tim for loaning of equipment,space and cosplayers. I couldn't have done it without you guys. :lovegrin:

I am still looking for students of light to help out in future shoots. If you are interested, hit me with a PM.

The ol' K10 can still hold out on its own. JPEG? underexposed by 2 stop? No problem. :cool:

5604972346_19d786c738.jpg

Last edited:
Big thanks to LiverpoolMadman for coming and sticking with me for the whole duration and putting up with the malfunctioning setup. :sweat:

Another big thanks to my fellow "serial flashers", Francis and Tim for loaning of equipment,space and cosplayers. I couldn't have done it without you guys. :lovegrin:

I am still looking for students of light to help out in future shoots. If you are interested, hit me with a PM.

The ol' K10 can still hold out on its own. JPEG? underexposed by 2 stop? No problem. :cool:

Nice shot. Nice pose. The lighting adds a sense of mystery.
Wish I had worked with a slower pace and put more thinking into many of the shots.

No Problem ..... I will join you again in the future ...

Nice shot. Nice pose. The lighting adds a sense of mystery.
Wish I had worked with a slower pace and put more thinking into many of the shots.

Props to the Madman for the shot and pose. :thumbsup: I just handled lighting and PP.
Then again I might have put too much thought at times. I think I only had a 15% success rate. (according to my standards) Most shots were obligatory straightforward shots. (with awful shadow positioning and/or OOF)

No Problem ..... I will join you again in the future ...

So, the resignation notice is on hold? ;p Thanks again for the help.